Marriage In Colombia Advice

Hi, Me and my partner are looking to get married in Colombia in October this year. I am British and my partner is Colombian. We are currently in the UK and plan on going out to Colombia in October to get married. I have a few questions for anyone who has similar circumstances. My first question is regarding me as a Brit. I understand I will need an affidavit (written statement of facts) , the gov.uk website suggests I have to make an appointment with the British embassy in Bogotá however I am only flying out to Colombia for 20 days so I think it is leaving it quite tight to be able to get the document while I am in Colombia. Do you know if it is possible to get the document in the UK before I fly out? after all it is is British issued document! If I cannot get it issued in the UK then do you know how long it takes for the British Embassy to issue the document? Thanks for your help :)

One other option:  Get married in the UK, get all your paperwork there.  Then, come to Colombia and do the wedding you want.  For me, a wedding is different than getting a paper with "Marriage Certificate" on it.

Get the paperwork updated once you get to Colombia....or do the paperwork at the Colombian consulate in the UK.

I don't know how it works for a Brit, but I will try to enlighten you as to my experience as an American. If you have ever been married before, you have to get a copy of your divorce decree, then you will have to get a statement of bachelorhood. That has to be from the state that issued the divorce. You also have to get an original  birth certificate issue from the state that you were born in, not more than 90 days old, and all these documents have to be translated to Spanish, by a certified translater. All these documents have to be Apostilled by the Secretary of  state that issued them. Then they have to be approved by the judge that is going to marry you. Here is the fun part, no judge is obligated to marry a foreigner to a Colombian National. When you find a judge that will marry you if you are not fluent in spanish, he can make you hire a translater. This is how it was in 2016.   

You didn't mention if you are planning a church wedding or just the one with a notaria.

elp