Retirment visa question

Hi guys, was hoping to retire in Penang. I can find out all i need to know about the financial aspect of it and think i can cover this. Just wanted to know if the visa would cover my wife also, or she would need to have the same finances available. many thanks

Hello richstruth,

Welcome to expat.com!

I hope that other members will be able to help you.

In the meantime you can read this: https://blog.seedly.sg/retirement-in-malaysia/

You may find some useful information in it.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@richstruth

Hi,

My understanding is that YOU will be the one who applies, pays the dues etc.

Then you apply for your spouse to join you and be added to your application, plus children  under 18 if applicable (not in your case). Not sure how her Visa will be recorded on her passport.

There is  also the question of expiry dates of your passport and her passport. This can make a difference when it comes to renewal in due course.

Your wife (marriage certificate etc will be required as part of the application process) but she will NOT be liable to pay additionally for any of the financial requirements.

In any case, do please make your own checks to establish what the regulations are; things seem to be in a state of flux in the course of the transition of administrations.

Good luck!

It's a great country - some give and take de rigueur.

I am in my 17th year of MM2H.

No regrets.

Am somewhat concerned at the transitional changes that came in just before the previous administration ended its kleptocratic and shameful years.

The new administration is a breath of fresh air.

Time will tell - of course.

@richstruth

Hi, you can add your spouse in your application. Only the main applicant (principal) has to proof liquid assets and income requirements.

looks like i do not have enough capital for retiring in Malaysia, which is disapointing. Does any know how many times you can visit on a 90 day visa in a year. many thanks

looks like i do not have enough capital for retiring in Malaysia, which is disapointing. Does any know how many times you can visit on a 90 day visa in a year. many thanks
-@richstruth

Its not so much a matter of "in a year" as it is AT ALL. Used to be that they just let you turn around as often as you liked but these days, even after one 90-day visa they can deny you entry the second time. It depends on the specific border and specific border agent but generally you cant count on returning after the first stint. If they let you pass, great, but if not they may give you a 3-day visa thats only valid if you get yourself to an immigration office for review of why you want to return now. If they disagree with your reasons, you get a new 7 or 10-day visa to give you time to pack and leave. Obviously it is best to plan for this by being prepared to leave for an extended time before returning again. The immigration question is, "ok, you got to see Malaysia and go around for 3 months. Whats left to see?" If you have a medical reason to stay, like an upcoming surgery, then you need written proof. If you say you need time to look for work, they will deny you. If you say you just like the place and want to stay more, thats also no reason.

Its not just Malaysia like this but all of SE Asia now. You cant just come and hang out forever anymore. You need a solid reason. This has contributed to, what I can see, a big decline in expat arrivals.