My Nightmare Experience with a Singapore Property Agent

We completed the handover in what was a downbeat and almost depressing atmosphere. She could hardly muster a smile and I was glad to see the back of her walking out of the apartment. I made sure to take photographs of all the defects in the unit, including a monitor screen next to the front door that had clouded over and was unusable.

For the next two years I paid my rent on time and only contacted her on three occasions which was to add an extra person to the tenancy, to help refund some of the cost when washing machine broke down (I paid the first 250 sgd as per the contract) and when there was a fault with the kitchen hob.

When it came to the end of the two years she asked if I wanted to extend to a further year at which point I agreed. I knew she would try to squeeze some more rent out of me so I maintained that I would only be prepared to pay the 2800 sgd per month that we had agreed previously. This figure was still very much the median market rate for an unfurnished, relatively low-floor unit in the condo. Agent was obviously not too happy about this and tried to increase to 3000 per month at which I refused. Low and behold my offer of 2800 sgd was accepted a couple days later.

The main problems came a year later when in the first hour of the first working day of the year, Agent sent me a whatsapp saying the landlord is asking for $4200 per month if I would like to extend a further year. Obviously a 50% increase is ridiculous but that seemed to be the way the market was heading in early 2023 which I recognise. She said the landlord could go to $4000 I said could only offer $3400.

The next time I heard from Agent was when she sent another text message asking if I could show some prospective tenants around my condo. She wasn't even going to come here herself to do it. "Fine" I thought, I'll do her a favour even though she's been a deadbeat person to communicate with for the past three years.

Skip forward and she sends me another whatsapp asking me to video my own condo so she can upload it on . to enhance her advertisement. I thought to myself, "You've been one the most unpleasant people I have ever interacted with, you've tried to get more money from me at every opportunity and you now you want me to sell the unit for you?! I didn't respond and she sent the same message a few days later. I explained the place was very untidy as i was literally in the process of moving out and she would have to be patient for the video. This probably didn't please her but I didn't care at this point.

Five days before moving out she sent a message saying I needed to have the place professionally cleaned. According to the contract it was only the curtains that needed cleaning but I agreed to get cleaners as per her request.

Getting the place cleaned last minute, moving stuff out, selling furniture on the last day and catching a plane back to the UK made it very difficult to do a handover with Agent. She was upset about this so I offered for her to do it with my girlfriend and she agreed.

I felt quite sorry for my girlfriend about having to do this - as I knew Agent was a wretched person and it wouldn't be a terribly nice experience for her. As it turned out my expectations were completely right. Agent  turned up with a dark could over her head and proceeded to march around the unit trying to identify every little thing she could to knock off the maximum amount of deposit. She played with the thermostat until it read an error message and charged 435 sgd to fix something with the water heater, a further 200 sgd to replace a toilet seat that was wonky, 200 to replace 'washer rubber' on the washing machine, 180 for a few lightbulbs and a whopping 2800 to replace the already broken monitor screen next to the door! This kind of behaviour is absolutely insane and to think I paid my rent on time up until the last month in good faith that somehow they would prove themselves to be good characters.

In the end I threatened Agent and her agency [Moderated]  with legal action as they were proposing taking 75% off my deposit. It took a week for Agent to respond and she offered to only knock off 50% of the deposit as a token of goodwill. Goodwill do me a favour....

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Removal of name - Names should be shared in private due to risks pertaining to defamation
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

As I have told anyone who didn't want to hear it for ages: Avoid property (and employment) agents if at all possible!

Especially in Singapore, they have well-earned reputation for less-than-helpful and less-than-honest service.

Completely agree beppi. Singapore agents are notorious for sub-par service and wanting to rip you off at every turn.

I can see my post has been moderated now. This is disappointing as it helps to protect the thieves and cannot serve as a warning to the Singapore public.

The agents name is Agent and she represents Agency

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Could be defamatory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone,

@ Robert, it might be disappointing to you but it is realistic and professional. You are a first time poster, your first and only post relates a misadventure with an agent. In general, we don't accept names to be posted on the forum and in particular when it is a first time post. Defamation is a very serious issue.

Regards

Bhavna

@robert1234567 If you "only" have a bad experience with this agency or a bad opinion about them, it is not o.k. to name and shame them in public.

If you have proof of professional misconduct or illegal activity, you should seek mediation by their trade associations CEA (https://www.cea.gov.sg/consumers/dispute-resolution) / SEAA (https://www.seaa.org.sg/dispute-resolution/) or report it to the police.