EP downgrade from Cat2 to Cat3

My housemate is working for a company that seems to be going through bancruptcy of some sort and one of the horrible things that they're planning on doing is to downgrade (from CAT 2 TO CAT 3) the visas of the employees instead of firing them.

Details are kinda vague but the affected employees were told that they need to go back to their country (PH) for the CAT 3 VISA to be processed. Has anyone experienced this before? Do they really have to go back to their country or can they exit to other countries for a while (like Vietnam, Thailand or Indonesia)?

The employees visas were about to expire next month and they were told on such short notice. Unlike other companies in Malaysia, their VISAs were not processed 3 months prior and were not informed of any updates until they were surprised with this news now. Is this legal? Is there any agency or office here in Malaysia where the employees can file a complaint?

@tushkam

what kind of complaint u want to make? u have to be precise so that we can see which party to refer u...

You can register compliant through app WFW (working for workers)android/IOS app.

This happened to me. The company needs to downgrade our EP from CAT2 to CAT3, it's a long story, but we didn't go back to our country (PH) for a cooling-off period.

@AnnVera can you please share more on how you got exemption to exit Malaysia?

Hi, May I know if there is a cooling off period for changing EP from category 2 visa to category 3? Thank you.

Hi Kevin,

Previously it was 3 months. Now immigration reduced it to 3 weeks. Means u need to exit Malaysia, meanwhile ur company shall process new (EP3) visa for u. Once done, u can come back. This means, u can return early once ur application is approved.

Thanks

@fayezamd777 Thank you for the reply. this is also applicable for changing of employer from Cat  2 to Cat 3 right?

While I exit Malaysia they can process already my visa? or after the 3 weeks cooling off period?