Can I do contract work while on a family reunion visa?

Hello,

My husband and I are both American citizens and moved last year from the US to Germany. He has a researcher type D visa, and I have a family reunification type D visa. I read that as long as the person I "reunited" with is legal to work in Germany, I can as well. I was hoping to start some contract work through online tutoring websites, but since I will not officially be employed, I wasn't sure if this is permitted for me. I was wondering if anyone had some insight for me about if I can just start working or if I need additional permits, how to do taxes with a job like this, etc. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Most FRV holders are allowed to work with free access to the labour market. What does your visa specify (check the entry in your passport or other peperwork you received)?

If so, you can do freelance work, but are subject to the same licensing, registration, accountancy and taxation requirements as any other freelancer in Germany - and that is a lot of paperwork, for which you have to engage (costly) professionals if you are less than fluent in buerocratic German. Furthermore, you have to bear all costs of compulsory insurances and other fees from your own pocket (health insurance alone will cost you at least 170 €/month). Altogether, this makes freelance work inattractive for most foreigners.

Hi Beppi, thank you for the detailed response! My visa says "family reunification, employment permitted, duration of stay corresponds to validity".

@beppi Do you happen to have links to resources about the above mentioned paperwork? I'd like to look into the process but don't know where to start. Thanks!