Has anyone had to import their pets back into Australia?

Hello Julian,

My name is Christine and looking to move to Malaysia with my husband next year (for 2 year) and wanting to ask the group about exporting our cats back to Australia after two years.

The new ruling states that pets will need to live in an approved country for 6 months before being allowed back into Australia. Has anyone had to import their pets back into Australia and how did they go about it.

Thanks in advance

Christine

Hello Christine,

Welcome to expat.com!

Kindly note that your post has been moved to the Australia forum since you are looking for information about how to relocate pets back into Australia.

I hope that members who have been in a similar situation will be able to help you out.

In the meantime you can read the article Moving to Australia with your pet.

All the best,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Thank you just hoping someone has a friend who has gone through this process. That I might be able to gain some info. Thanks for the reply.

Hello Christine!

did you manage to get any info on this topic?

thanks!

Hello,

I did some searching online and found a lady in Singapore that during covid looked after an Australian two cats I have to contact her but that's all I've heard.

Christine

I'm also trying to do the same thing, but with a dog. I contacted the Dept of Agricultre and they have informed me that it is possible to obtain a import certificate before you leave, and this from what I understand can be used to avoid the need for a 180 day stay in an approved country, provided that during the time overseas you didn't let any of the necessary tests/vaccines (rabies etc) lapse.

They did say though that despite being technically possible, it's not without risk, so I'd love to hear from someone that has successfully managed to get their pet back into Australia.