Relocation Options

I am retired, single, presently living in San Diego,76, fit and active. I would like to consider my options presently with a monthly budget of $1500 per month for retirement living in Seam Reap. Also, what my medical options also may be there? I hope to be able my first-time visit later this year... Arthur Howard

Siem Reap on $1500 per month is easy.  I am also 76 and have been here for seven years.   Still volunteering at an NGO.  Retirement visa available by the year and can be renewed each year..   no special,paper work needed, just be in country.

Thanks, I have been checking out the apt rentals there, and hard to believe how cheap, really nice western style and even nicely furnished also. That alone is a big plus for me.

Easier for me on tetlgram or messenger

Richard Kroeger

Telegram. 

You will want hot shower, A/C, tv, WiFi,   Water usually $5 per month.   Power maybe $30-$40 depending upon use of A/C

If you don't have transportation. PassApp is best here.   Tuk Tuks over charge.

Check out the weather.  That can be an adjustment

@Arthur Howard Yes, it is a good lifestyle here in Siem Reap, probably more so than other towns in Cambodia in terms of standard and cost of housing etc. A good Western style apartment is around $250 a month, utilities another $35 to $50. Transport around town by the small tuk tuks and taxis average $1 a trip. Most restaurant meals range from $3 to $10 depending on your taste. There is plenty of night time entertainment, lots of decent bars and some live music venues. Everything is pretty relaxed, and you can live well on $1,000 a month. Downside at your age is medical stuff - insurance will be pricey, so like most of us oldies we take our chances and try to stay healthy for as long as possible. Private clinics are expensive, although not in the same league as in the US, and if desperate there is always the local hospital where you can get real basic care for about $250 a week. But look on the bright side, and if you come to SR you can send me a message, we can catch up for a coffee or beer and say hi.

I currently have Medicare and Allianz Global

i return to US for big items like cataract surgery.  Small things can be taken care of at clinics.

Be careful.  You can bring US money but it must be in perfect shape to convert.  No marks, no tears, then convert to Real(Cambodian currency). Much easier to use their currency.  You can use  dollars but best to use Real

Also very easy to open a bank account here. Transfer money from US and pay bill here

@hdgh29 Thanks, just hope the Chinese aren't buying up everything there as in many places now day's. They could ruin the place sorry to say.

They are buying Sihanoukville

@rkroeger22Dear RKRoger     retired here in Siem Reap 4 months ago wonder what kind of ngo work are you doing. I love it here but probably should get myself involved with something .I am almost 70 from USA.   Leon

@rkroeger22 How about the rest of Cambodia like Phnom Penh? I have watched a lot of YouTube TV and Siem Reap seems the better living but if it only had a beach. However, not a deal breaker either.

@Leon French I have been volunteering at Khmer For Khmer Organization.  They are a small school for teaching English to poor village kids.  We currently have four teachers and 250 students.  They get one hour lessons each day.

@hdgh29 hi I have the same plans but I am looking into Kampot instead of siem reap. Do you know anything about that town of your own experience as well. I would love to be close to the beach and a bit closer to PP (for medical reasons). Thank you for your answer.

@Arthur Howard that is indeed Allah of my concern. The beach and being near the sea.

I also watched lots of YouTube and Kampot seems nice to me too.

@rkroeger22 Currently I have the VA Health Care here in San Diego but no access in Cambodia I am sure.

@Twiggy57 I hope to go to a few of the islands in the south from time to time, Koh Rong looks very inviting. However, Siem Reap you can't beat for full-time living from what I have heard so far.

I am retired, single, presently living in San Diego,76, fit and active. I would like to consider my options presently with a monthly budget of $1500 per month for retirement living in Siem Reap. Also, what my medical options also may be there? I hope to be able my first-time visit later this year... Arthur Howard
-@Arthur Howard

Hi all. I live in SR on a bit more. Have nice apartment ground floor with swimming pool for $180 a month thanks to my Khmer girl friend. We cook mostly at home but go out every so often for dinner and drinks. Daily life in Siem reap is best for me. Nice city now to walk in. New sidewalks and bike lanes all over city. Very nice cuisine for both local and international. We do both. I really enjoy day to day life in Siem reap. Would not want to live elsewhere. We did quick trip to Kampot and kep for Valentine's Day. I enjoyed both but would not live in either. I just prefer Siem reap.

I think you can find reasonable apartment and have good life on $1500 a month. Probably have some left over each month. 

@mpmilestogo My top priority would be to find a nice western-style one-bedroom apt for around $400 or less long term in a good location but not too noisy. Since I don't drink or smoke I believe I can swing it just fine.

@Arthur Howard I don't know Kampot too well but I think there are very few modern apartments there.most expats live in houses. For apartment living with plenty of choice Siem Reap is the best bet. $400 can get you something pretty luxurious,  with most reasonable places around $250 to 300

@hdgh29 Siem Reap is on my radar and plans to visit later this year to check it out for possibly full-time. So far I find it kind of like a hidden (ex-pat living gem) for many and only wishing also that the housing rental market stays the bargain it seems to be in the foreseeable future. 1f911.svg

@Arthur Howard I think that is a good plan. Our location is good for us now. We wanted an easy place to live close to some friends my girl friend has. Close by are grocery stores, restaurants, pubs, and coffee shops plus a whole bunch of khmer food places we are trying every so often. If you check out the Wat Bo area or Wat Dammak I think you will find a nice choice of places that meet your needs for less than $400 a month easy. Like others have pointed out, finding a western style apartment is not very challenging. I just let my khmer girl friend find the place. She sent me photos of a few she found. We just chose the one with the pool on the ground floor, security gate, paved roads. Our place is fully furnished, free wifi, easy access in and out. Like I mentioned, we are paying $180 a month. It works for us but some people would probably want more room but for two people like us, this works fine.

Take care. Let us know when you visit.

@mpmilestogo Thanks and I appreciate your input. 1f917.svg

@rkroeger22 How much might cataract surgery cost in Cambodia? Don't need it now but may in a few years' time. I have the VA Health Care only here in San Diego which is not bad but naturally no access in Cambodia I do believe.

@rkroeger22 Any idea what cataract surgery might cost me in SR? I am ok for now it seems at least a few years more. As far as my health I will try to keep my VA Health Care here in the states.

@rkroeger22 How much might cataract surgery cost in Cambodia? Don't need it now but may in a few years' time. I have the VA Health Care only here in San Diego which is not bad but naturally no access in Cambodia I do believe.
-@Arthur Howard

That depends on if the condition that requires treatment is service connected OR aggravated by a service connected condition:

"For eligible Veterans living or traveling abroad, VA offers medical services through the Foreign Medical Program (FMP). Through this program, FMP will pay for health care services, medications, and durable medical equipment for service-connected conditions and conditions associated with and held to be aggravating a service-connected condition." (link)

Please read all the information at that link before asking clarifying questions.

@OceanBeach92107 Neither, only age and not for several years hopefully but one never knows.

@OceanBeach92107 Neither, only age and not for several years hopefully but one never knows.
-@arthow1847

Yeah, if your only qualifying factor for full VA healthcare is being over age 65 or unemployability (or both) then you wouldn't have any of the individual ratings necessary to qualify for the Foreign Medical Program.

Having said that, I know for a fact that there are many, many veterans who hate the VA claim system and are simply unwilling to go through the process of establishing a claim for a particular infirmity.

So they access VA Healthcare at their approved priority level, sometimes even paying a copay, but never get any infirmity /disability ratings which could raise their priority level, save them copays, perhaps authorize monthly compensation payments AND make them eligible for some level of use of the Foreign Medical Program.

I'm mentioning that because any US veteran considering relocating to Cambodia or any other country should do everything possible to update their VA claims status before exiting the USA.

Even if you only qualify through insulin dependent Adult Onset Diabetes, type 2 (a very common claim for veterans of the American War in Southeast Asia presumed to have been exposed to Agent Orange) you'd receive a 20% disability rating, currently (2023) paying $327.99 USD monthly AND opening a very friendly can of worms, as multiple medical conditions can easily be associated with or aggravated by diabetes.

An extra $327.99 in your pocket every month can make a nice difference in Southeast Asia.

And unlike the VA old age/unemployability pension, monthly compensation payments are NOT offset against Social Security payments, though the VA pension would be reduced by that amount.

Even with that worst-case scenario, you'd still have some Foreign Medical Program benefits that can't be accessed without the official disability rating.

I have no actual qualms with my VA Heath Care here in San Diego but my options, if I were to relocate to Cambodia, seem useless unless somehow I could travel back to a USA VA facility for any needed treatments. Seems my actual option might be too self insure if doable. I served over 4 years in the Navy during the Viet Nam war but mainly on the east coast and much of Europe instead of Nam. I have been informed one must have gotten VA Heath care access or checkups no less than 2 year period to continue in the program regardless.

@Arthur Howard

Good morning Arthur,

This options with a monthly budget of $1,500 per month for retirement living in Seam Reap is fine (depends on your lifestyle ;-), rental budget for a 2 bedroom apartment or house are from $250 to $500 here. Concerning the medical options, there are international hospitals like the Royal Angkor International Hospital.

Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions.

JF

@jfguiat I am thinking of around $400 for a nice mostly furnished one-bedroom apt. Can I get a really nice one there for that rate close to the city center?

$400 will get you a really nice 2 bedroom place with pool, either apartment or house. Check out Siem Reap expat groups on facebook to see options.

I only prefer a one-bedroom apt since I am alone and single and really get a nice apt unless I find something else I fall in love with there, thank you.

Hello arthow1847,

You should also check here > Housing in Siem Reap.

Feel free to post your own if you cannot find an interesting offer among those already online.

I hope you will find something soon.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@arthow1847 I don't know what others pay but we found a decent one bedroom apartment a little north of downtown.  It is actually closer to heritage walk north of downtown. I like the neighborhood quite a bit. There are nice coffee shops, Khmer eateries we frequent, and international places. We just had Indian food for dinner tonight and then had a tuktuk take us on a cruise around. Very relaxing.

We pay $180 a month for small one bedroom, ground floor, swimming pool and security gates on paved road. My girl friend found this place for us. In the past I found apartments using a realtor around Wat Bo area for $250. I think $400 will get something quite nice.