Photographs of the Philippines

`

Yes true, LoneWolfNY they are thought-provoking, you're right :)

`

However ..

"Do not go gentle into that good night ..

Good men, their deeds might have danced in green bays

Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Well, since there's altogether too much 'rage' in the world lately,

how about we simply 'resist' the dying of the lights for wokeness?

1f642.svg

Happy trails

PalawOne

`

`

Friends of the family, San Vincente Palawan ..

ssn8EfN.jpg

And here in Australia, this evening ..

5aA73Ij.jpg

`

`

HOTEL FILIPINAS, Paco Manila

vA2CQbJ.jpg

Manila Hilton,1964

i8d0K40.jpg

For many years rated the only 5 star hotel in the Philippines

`

`

Moalboal Philippines

qATG4qH.jpg

Waiting for the rainy season, Banaue CAR Philippines

frESZsD.jpg

`

`

Seems the Phils launches more ocean plastics than all of these countries combined

mG4yLys.jpg

Yr only 1 txt hunybun

iwPdAbU.png

`

Thank you PalawOne once again for the above selection of photographs.

The plastic emissions table (assuming its accuracy) is yet another egregious example of how far behind the Philippines is compared to its A.S.E.A.N neighbours on a whole range of statistics. What is damning is that 4 of the 5 countries below them all have much higher populations and similar levels of poverty and education.

Ironically the key to ameliorating this blight on the landscape does not cost a dime. All children at elementary level can be taught how to respect their environment. Problem solved. The Philippines Tourism Dept spends billions of pesos every year on promoting the country. Spend a fraction of that on public plastic waste information commercials. Job done.

@PalawOne Thanks for the statistics. I found ways to recycle plastic and biodegradable waste in my Barangay. That took some work. But no one seems to know what to do with glass bottles. I go to the mall and have to hunt for garbage cans, and there are enough dump sites on my way home than I can count. I've been to other third-world counties, and these things do not exist.

Keep the pictures coming I'm watching.  :)

Lone Wolf NY

The Philippines is in first place as the world's biggest ocean plastics polluter by a huge margin. I've read that the number one river dumping plastic in the ocean is in the Philippines and 7 of the top 10 plastic dumping rivers are also in the Philippines.

This is a quote from the Marcos inauguration speech:

"We too have our part to play; we are the third biggest plastics polluter in the world. But we won't shirk from that responsibility; we will clean up."

I wonder where he got his numbers? Could it be overall plastics pollution and not just the ocean?

Manila Hilton,1964

i8d0K40.jpg

`
-@PalawOne

Thanks for including that PalawOne.  My dad was an engineer on the Manila Hilton. He spent his career overseas on large projects. I stayed there in 2014 when it was no longer a Hilton but the woodwork inside was beautiful, as well the views out over Rizal Park, Intramuros, the National Gallery, etc.

Those were the days..

Regarding the plastics pollution, which is indeed a serious problem. The Filipinos seem to be addicted to single use products, which can be bought individually at the sari-sari store. Shampoo, laundry soap, 3-in-1 Nescafe, Milo, etc, etc.. The list goes on and on. My gf has gotten better since I got after her about it years ago, but I still find individual packets of conditioner in the CR from time to time. I swear it's an addiction, haha.

There have apparently been several attempts to ban the single-use packaging but it always comes back to a matter of affordability, despite it being the most expensive way to buy. Of course Nestle and the other consumer giants fights these regulations tooth and nail.

Manila Hilton,1964
i8d0K40.jpg

`
-@PalawOne

Thanks for including that PalawOne. My dad was an engineer on the Manila Hilton. He spent his career overseas on large projects. I stayed there in 2014 when it was no longer a Hilton but the woodwork inside was beautiful, as well the views out over Rizal Park, Intramuros, the National Gallery, etc.

Those were the days..
-@pnwcyclist

Did you mention that? If so did they upgrade you to the Penthouse suite and give you a free in house massage? 1f606.svg

Manila Hilton,1964

Thanks for including that PalawOne. My dad was an engineer on the Manila Hilton. He spent his career overseas on large projects. I stayed there in 2014 when it was no longer a Hilton but the woodwork inside was beautiful, as well the views out over Rizal Park, Intramuros, the National Gallery, etc. Those were the days..
-@pnwcyclist

`

Interesting Pnwcyclist. Reading a little about the history of the Manila Hilton, one imagines it must have been an interesting commission for your father.

Apparently upon opening, instantly the Hilton became the only 5 star hotel in the country. And, also apparently it was always at the very center of Manila social and political life for many years.

Regards working for them, well remember being ordered to shave the beard to keep my job as a uni-student busboy at the Melbourne Hilton shortly after they opened here.

And Lotus writes, "Did you mention that? If so did they upgrade you to the Penthouse suite and give you a free in house massage?" Yes, surely the least they could do, Lotus.

They always did have high standards as far as I know. Currently the three Hilton Hotels now in the Philippines all show very good ratings, and do look magnificent:

`

Hilton Hotels: https://www.hilton.com/en/locations/philippines/

`

@PalawOne nice information

`

Spain governing the Philippines ..

u4jzYVD.jpg

Guessing maybe an expat in future  1f642.svg

pxUwk3a.jpg

`

I sometimes read the history of war and see historical pictures, and I wanted to add this link below.

When 900 Filipinos defeated over 40,000 Chinese soldiers.

Filipino Soldiers

Or when 5000 Taino Indians from Puerto Rican bullied and took the hills from the Chinese Army in Korea. Only three hundred made it back home.

Taino Indians from Puerto Rico

These are poor, simple people without battle experience or formal education, defeating the largest organized army in the world. You sometimes wonder what they have that is lacking in another more advanced military worldwide.

1f615.svg

Lone Wolf NY

`

Hot Dogs around the world ..

l9pmb5N.jpg

A Philippines Canned Beef ratings list. Maybe folks haven't tried canned beef before. Many say that it's actually not bad, and it's certainly quite filling. Apparently according to this however, when in the Philippines the actual brand name on the can does matter ..

v99uddz.png

`

That Chicago hot dog is making me hungry - nothing better.

That Chicago hot dog is making me hungry - nothing better.
-@pnwcyclist

`

Yes Pnwcyclist, agreed. Chicago sure sounds like one of the tastiest.

In fact not being averse to the hotdog now and again, am now feeling

the whole list may be seen as a bit of a challenge? Maybe even bucket

list style? Anyway we started with lunchtime today and Aussie hotdogs.

Although not on this list Aussie dogs are almost always New York style

without the sauerkraut. Looking at the incredible variety, seems rather

a shame. And so, it could be yet another harmless life excitement-goal?

Well, maybe so anyway 1f642.svg

@pnwcyclist

@pnwcyclist

Amen! 

Sweetened mayonnaise, mushy french fries, rubbery flavorless chips (never met a grain of salt) and plain sticky rice are wrecking my palate.  I ate out with family a few evenings ago at a so-called "mexican-inspired restaurant" where the food wasn't fit to feed a dog, IMO.  The only thing that had any food value (Mexican or otherwise) to me was their quesadillas, just barely.  I'd rather eat the food tray scrapings we donated to the local natives, side-cleaners, in Hong Kong harbor back in 1959 (I was an enlisted kid in VA-155, Douglas Skyhawk outfit on the USS Hancock CVA-19).  Our chow was some of the best, and plenty of it. 

@TitiDan

Hahaha...

I't's TITO, not 'Titi,' although that handle does have a hint of appeal to me......  lol

I realized that later. Sorry, no offense meant. You will note the I and O are next to each other on the keyboard.

`

Philippine security systems ..

0ax0kBV.jpg

Pinoy vehicle violations & penalties. (Overloading, no penalty)

53hkbsq.jpg

`

@pnwcyclist

Yup. It's an easy slip to make.  What discourages me are all the next to impossible combos that destroy entire documents, emails and original songs and I've hit 'em all......   

`

AxwfALQ.jpg

CgyHFOh.jpg

`