Proposal on reforming Law 875-78 on Visas

Plan seeks to amend Law No. 875-79 as a way to update it

Yamalie Rosario

Santo Domingo - Jan. 22, 2023 | 12:01 a.m. m. | 4 minute read

A deputy proposed reforming Law 875-78 on Visas. (FILE/FREE JOURNAL)

In order to update Law No. 875-79, a bill was presented that proposes establishing a new classification of visas by categories that do not exist in the country.

The initiative, which seeks to regulate the issuance of visas, is the responsibility of the deputy of constituency No.3 of the National District, for the People's Force, Lourdes Aybar.

It proposes new classifications for visas granted to tourists and crew members, creates individual and group transit visas, by dependency, temporary visas by dependency, work, religious, student, refugee or asylum seeker, and special visas.

Also, it establishes as modalities of visas for residences the categories: qualified, investors, as a family member of a Dominican national, annuitant and pensioner.

The bill, presented on September 8 in the Chamber of Deputies, maintains the current classifications to grant diplomatic, official, courtesy and business visas, which are granted with multiple entries and for periods of validity between 60 days and one year. of duration.

le for the crew, three categories are established: air that had a 15-day entry, maritime with one entry and land with multiple entries.

In the case of visas for maritime transport, article 48 of the bill establishes that the crew and foreign personnel of the endowment of a means of international maritime transport that touches a Dominican port, can remain in Dominican territory during the time they remain in the country the means of international transportation in which you are enrolled.

He adds that during his stay he must be provided with his seaman's license and his condition as a crew member enrolled in the endowment of a means of transport that is in a Dominican port.

While article 49 of the piece states that drivers and assistants of land transport must be provided with their passport and corresponding visa.

The bill contemplates that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs continues to have the power to manage, organize and control the granting of the different categories of visas to travel to the country.

Haitian foreigners

Also, the bill establishes among its transitory provisions that foreigners residing in the area of ​​the Republic of Haiti bordering the national territory in Pedernales, Independencia, Elías Piña, Dajabón and Montecristi who enter the country within the perimeter of the border and develop non-labor activities, dedicated to small business tasks will have a maximum continuous stay of one day. They should return daily to their country of residence.

In addition, it states that international transport companies, their agencies or representatives must not sell tickets to foreigners or transport them without presenting the documentation required by the General Directorate of Migration, duly endorsed when appropriate.

Could their be a new snowbird visa in there somewhere?  I have no idea since the recent report could not have been more vague.

I have heard nothing at all about snowbird or extended tourist visas.

Lishali says there is nothing she is aware of in the works!

I guess they just wanted to write a story about something that might happen.

Some "deputado" needing press!

I would hope the DR would create a visa category for people who work remote, but want to reside in DR. As it stands, people do it, but on tourist visas that they overstay... some of these digital nomads bring in a lot of money and positive exposure for DR!

There is nothing in the works right now. What they bring in and the exposure is very minimal in the big scheme of things. 

@brodies2013 I cannot agree with you more. This would be perfect and would definitely drive more positive traffic where remote workers come and stay for short or extended durations whilst they have a remote contract. Anything from 2 months to 8 months at a time or even lucky remote workers who would want to stay longer but do not have the resources, resident contacts (or desire) to remain in the DR on a permanent basis.

I can already see how this would benefit the DR and visitors to the DR.

I love this idea.

There is a need for remote work type visas, snowbird visas and maybe a testing the waters vida.  I have heard nothing regarding any changes or proposals like this.