New members of the Cape Verde forum, introduce yourselves here - 2023

Hi all,

Newbie on the Cape Verde forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Cape Verde if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

wink.png

Hello Adriano,

Welcome to expat.com!

Since this is a thread dedicated for the introduction of new members, feel free to tell us a bit more about yourself.1f609.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

My name is Cherno Bah i live in the Gambia . i am hoping to go to cape vert in order to search for greener pasture.

My name is Cherno Bah i live in the Gambia . i am hoping to go to cape vert in order to search for greener pasture.
-@CHERNOBAH2018

Hi Cherno,

If you don't speak Portuguese fluently, there's no point in coming here. English is not spoken. In addition, there are no jobs.

What lead you to believe you'd find greener pastures here?

Angelo

@CVAngelo I recall reading on your profile that you help people to find work in Cabo Verde even if they speak no Portuguese. I wonder what motivated your lack of compassion towards this person? And for what reason to keep someone feeling stuck? I don't speak much Portuguese myself, the point is that I care to learn it and am learning it. It seems to be unnecessary to pretend another person is incapable of learning, moving or travelling just because of your own perspective.

Hello Zylen,

I thank you for your message.

However, this space is for the introduction of new members. This is where new members tell us about themselves and their expatriation projects.

If you have any message for CVAngelo, you can do it by messaging him privately1f609.svg

I thank you for your understanding,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@CVAngelo I recall reading on your profile that you help people to find work in Cabo Verde even if they speak no Portuguese. I wonder what motivated your lack of compassion towards this person? And for what reason to keep someone feeling stuck? I don't speak much Portuguese myself, the point is that I care to learn it and am learning it. It seems to be unnecessary to pretend another person is incapable of learning, moving or travelling just because of your own perspective.
-@Zylen Xavier-Hendrix

Hi Zylen,

Well, over the years that I've been here, I've met hundreds of people from the west coast of Africa who have come to CV assuming the grass is greener here. They all arrived here without having done ANY research whatsoever about Cape Verde and believe that English is the national language.

Secondly, in many cases, they come not for greener pastures here in CV but typically on the assumption that CV is an easy point of entry into Europe and that they can earn the money in CV to travel to Europe, when it is just as hard or harder to get to Europe from CV as it was from wherever they came from.

Lastly, they are typically without a formal education so they don't qualify for the English-speaking jobs.

So the end result of all this is that they end up stuck illegally in Cape Verde with no jobs, and they are actually worse off than they were in their country of origin. One of those was Alfred who used to initially participate on this CV forum on Expat.com, but he left CV several years ago.

The Cape Verde government just had an amnesty program to legalize illegal immigrants in CV who had arrived more than two years earlier. There were THOUSANDS of west African citizens who applied for amnesty.

So the compassionate response is to discourage such people from coming to CV thinking that it is somehow a greener pasture than where they are now, when it is usually not the case.

Regards,

Angelo

Hi, my name in Gianluca, I'm 32 years old and I'm from Rome, Italy.

My parents are both from São Nicolau island here in Cabo Verde, and i reside here in São Nicolau also since 2016.

I worked here as Barman and Dj in our Disco Pub, but then Covid19 struck our kind of business.

I'm willing to work here in Cabo Verde, closer to my family and my roots.

@Julien , I want  a job  as a teacher  in Cape Verde before  I come  there to  settle

@Yoginee OK my name is Bernard Bassey  am a Nigerian

@Julien , I want a job as a teacher in Cape Verde before I come there to settle
-@bernard1972

Hello Bernard,

Cape Verde is a Portuguese speaking country. To be a teacher of any subject, you must be fluent in Portuguese, possess at least a bachelor's degree and be certified by the Cape Verde Ministry of Education to be a teacher. The certification requires that you pass a certification exam that is given in Portuguese.

Regards,

Angelo

@CVAngelo What a way to welcome somebody who's only sharing his dream...

So much for breaking someone's enthusiasm....

Why, I wonder 😢?

@Saar76 My thoughts exactly. Thank you for saying this.

Oi! I am new to Santa Maria, from Canada. I am hoping to contribute to the local community my experience in Social planning and Union organization from Public employee background. I am also a First responder and lifeguard / swim instructor with a passion for free diving hoping to volunteer teaching children Red Cross lessons. Happy to be in such a vibrant and diverse community!

@DjaysCV I love Sau Nicholau! Also explored CV after Rome, Italy Hope you are back and doing well post - covid !

@CVAngelo tough love I understand but why then advertise yourself as a helper ? They have every reason to believe that life *may* be better here, and in future, find allies and a positive experience. Please be compassionate. There are enough naysayers and negative influences, especially in a place so gentrified and traumatized - a less confrontational approach would be to offer some service to assist in their learning or development. Just a gentle suggestion..

@CVAngelo tough love I understand but why then advertise yourself as a helper ? They have every reason to believe that life *may* be better here, and in future, find allies and a positive experience. Please be compassionate. There are enough naysayers and negative influences, especially in a place so gentrified and traumatized - a less confrontational approach would be to offer some service to assist in their learning or development. Just a gentle suggestion..
-@Tracy Thompson

Hi Tracy,

Until you've walked a mile in my shoes, you're in no position to judge whether my response was helpful or not.

I've lived here in CV for 16 years and have been on this forum for over 10 of them. I have had hundreds of in person experiences with people who have come here with these very same "beliefs".

I do not practice "tough love". My responses are based on the reality of what I know and have observed. I'm not here to provide anyone with false hope, just the facts.

Best regards,

Angelo

@Yoginee Thanks for clarifying! I also thought that CVAngelo was admin on page - as he seemed to pop up and post most often. I was curious, trying to join in conversation, and introduce myself and skills here and was very confused by this as I try to gather what this page is helpful for! Perhaps you have tips for navigating and connecting with like-minded individuals just starting out in CV?

Hello Tracy,

Welcome to expat.com!

Feel free to browse on the Cape Verde forum and to interact with other members there1f609.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@Yoginee Thanks for clarifying! I also thought that CVAngelo was admin on page - as he seemed to pop up and post most often. I was curious, trying to join in conversation, and introduce myself and skills here and was very confused by this as I try to gather what this page is helpful for! Perhaps you have tips for navigating and connecting with like-minded individuals just starting out in CV?
-@Tracy Thompson

You're welcome. I'm just a contributor on the CV English-speaking forum here on Expat. Since so few Capeverdeans speak English or use any apps or online services besides Facebook, TikTok, etc, it turned out that I am the only person (besides the site administrators) who monitors this part of the CV forum though I'm not from CV myself. But given how long I've lived here, I may as well be Capeverdean.

The way to use the forum is explore the topics that are of interest to you. There are literally hundreds of questions and answers posted on many topics.

The best place to find Expats are two-fold. First, you can meet people here by actually answering their questions (at least those that you are able to). After doing this myself for years, I usually offer to meet personally with those who eventually come here (in my case, to Praia/Santiago). You can't see those conversations on the forum since we usually use the private chat/messaging. And there you can exchange phone numbers, Whatsapp, emails etc.

The second way to meet like-minded people is to simply say hi to any expats you see on the streets and just ask how they're doing and where they hail from. So here in Praia, I've met so many expats from every continent and corner of the globe this way. Then many of us get together informally every week/month for a coffee, beers, lunch, etc. We just pick a spot, get the word out, and get together for a pleasant exchange in a calm, enjoyable for an hour or two. I imagine that you can do the same in São Nicolau.

And if you ever make it to Praia, please feel free to give me a shout out. I'd be happy to meet you. You can also meet many of the expats in our informal group. To contact me, simply send me a private message and I'd be happy to share my contact information. Likewise, if you find that you have a question that cannot be answered, I'd be happy to assist.

Enjoy your time in São Nicolau.

Cheers,

Angelo

@Yoginee thanks! found my way to more helpful connections ;)

@CVAngelo I did send you a private message, asking for a consultation. Why are you continuing now in this way instead of there?

@CVAngelo may comments, to the actual admin and I have also said privately - were about navigating this site to network, My specific request to you was regarding what services you offer - as you might be helpful in that way as I am seeking personal, and intricate business and investment advice here. Not looking for coffee with friends, but thanks!

Also not going to Praia anytime soon, but definitely would be useful as I saw something you posted about being friends with everyone in government there and the policy here is quite confusing to navigate without many online or up to date tools! You also mentioned overdue VISA fine calculation in another thread and not sure how up to date that would be now? Thanks for all your input and tips here again. Saves a lot of walking and paper filing.. difficult to get around.

Especially being on another island, I am curious how things may be different / easier or perhaps more organizationally sound there - because there are sooooooooo many different sources for information about CV. Just nothing official, IE - by government online - and so it seems a corrupted and more complicated system than it needs to be!

Can we please take this off the "welcome" page as the admin had suggested already twice?

@CVAngelo I did send you a private message, asking for a consultation. Why are you continuing now in this way instead of there?
-@Tracy Thompson

Simple. I did not see your private message till after I responded here on the forum. We are also encouraged to respond publicly to posts on the forum so that others who have the same questions can also benefit from the responses.

I will certainly respond to your private message in private. But am not able to do so till tomorrow, as I've been out at a friend's bachelor's party. Cape Verde...no stress.

Boa noite and best regards até manhã,

Angelo

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Expat.com.

Thank you all for your introduction on this thread. If you have any question, feel free to open your own topic on the Cape Verde forum.

All the very best

Bhavna

Hello everyone,
Welcome to Expat.com.

Thank you all for your introduction on this thread. If you have any question, feel free to open your own topic on the Cape Verde forum.

All the very best
Bhavna
-@Bhavna

Hi Bhavna

Please move some of these questions to their own topics as you and Julien have done in the past. I can't move existing posts myself (nor can the originators of the posts).

Some elements of some of the posts deserve a public response because many people have similar questions as you've indicated in the past. For example visa infraction fees and differences between islands.

Your help would again be appreciated. And certainly, new topics have been and will continue to be created going forward.

Cheers,

Angelo

@Tracy Thompson I'm here in São Nicolau actually, and doing well, thank you.

I bet you loved the calm and rural lifestyle we have, thats what most tourists/visitants come to experience here,or  "Morabeza",  its how we name it here 😀

@DjaysCV absolutely loved the relaxed and beautiful atmosphere. Being welcomed by all the amazing musicals was definitely a highlight, as was the history in Preguica (spelling?) and the water being so clean and full of life out there!

@Zylen Xavier-Hendrix

I absolutely agree with your remark on how CVAngelo seems to -each time- want to demotivate people to coming to CV, in such a straightforward way, lacking  all empathy or personal understanding.

I wonder why this is necessary?

@Zylen Xavier-Hendrix
I absolutely agree with your remark on how CVAngelo seems to -each time- want to demotivate people to coming to CV, in such a straightforward way, lacking all empathy or personal understanding.
I wonder why this is necessary?
-@Saar76

Hi Saar76,

Wow! Just wow. The irony of your remark about lacking empathy and personal understanding is just stunning. One of the mores by which I conduct my life is to seek first to understand before criticizing anyone and certainly not publicly. Why did you not seek to understand by asking me in a private conversation?

Franky, my purpose as a contributor on this forum for the past 14 years is to help people who are coming to Cape Verde. I made every mistake possible when I moved here because there was no-one here to guide me about the realities of living here. I try to help people not make any of the mistakes I made. If you sought to understand, perhaps you would have read the hundreds of messages I posted before casting judgement.

Regarding this particular situation, you are not in any position to judge whether my post was "lacking in all empathy or personal understanding". If you had personally met, befriended and spoken with the dozens of people who came to Cape Verde under the exact same circumstances and who eventually had to leave after much personal suffering, then you might begin to empathize and understand as I have done.

One of those people was Alfred, who made the very first post on this forum. I financially helped him with his business. I even gave him money for rent and food a few times. I found him an expat sponsor...but he left for the Gambia where he thrived. Another was a young woman who came here and immediately ended up beaten and imprisoned by her boyfriend under lock and key. She had reached out to me on this forum before arriving. I was the one who called the police to rescue her in a daylight raid.

So given that you knew absolutely nothing about me, I think your critical public comments were both uncalled for and inappropriate. Fortunately, I am a very happy person and not easily offended by comments made by virtue of ignorance.

You don't even know that I have attempted to help even you.

Have a great day and I hope your stay in Cape Verde is personally rewarding.

Warm regards,

Angelo

Hello All,

Can we strictly keep this thread for the introduction of new members?

This is a safe place where members share information about themselves and their expatriation project.

From onwards, off-topic posts will be removed from this thread.

I thank you all for your understanding,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hello All,
Can we strictly keep this thread for the introduction of new members?

This is a safe place where members share information about themselves and their expatriation project.

From onwards, off-topic posts will be removed from this thread.

I thank you all for your understanding,

Yoginee
Expat.com team
-@Yoginee

Hi Yoginee,

I'd suggested earlier that these off-topic comments on this particular thread (including this response and those that came before) be moved to a separate thread with its own topic. There is an existing topic to where they can me moved. Unfortunately, I am unable to move them myself.

I found it necessary to defend myself from such misplaced public criticism. As you know, I've been helping expats on this site for over a decade. Yet, the issues that had been raised by Sarah, Tracy and Zylen deserve to be published and other expats should see my responses. It is simply that they failed to understand that my responses were actually the exact opposite of what they perceived because they had no understanding of the context.

Anyway, my sincere apologies that these comments have persisted under this topic, but I don't think they should be deleted since I have explained the context which other people coming to the CV English-speaking forum should be made aware of. Moving them to a different thread would be most effective.

I have also suggested to the various critics that they should contact me via private message if they had criticisms to get off their chests.

Best regards and keep up the excellent work with the site,

Angelo

Hello everyone,

We'll think about it, Angelo.

However,  I fear that the new thread will become a one to one conversation between 2 members....

I can't think of a proper title for the new thread right now but we will find a solution.

For now, please everyone, use this thread only to introduce yourself.

All the best

Bhavna

@Tracy Thompson It's spelling is "Preguisa", it's "lazyness" in English 😅

@Julien please I am willing to relocate and be there to worked

I am very hard working respectful and wiling to help achieve the company aims and goals

Hello everyone, trust you're good.

My name is Ijeoma from Nigeria.

Based in Abuja. I would like to visit Cape Verde & explore new culture.

Stay Blessed ally🌹

I am Richard living in Ghana west Africa want to visit Cape Verde too

@mistycoe260 Welcome on board !

Feel free to share some details on your interest for Cape Verde

Closed