Coliving in Rio de Janeiro

Happy New Year!

I've lived in rented rooms, student apartments and coliving places in Europe. I'm looking for a place to live in Rio de Janeiro. Coliving is good. Close to public transport is a requirement. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Alan

You can save money and keep you privacy by looking into off beat neighborhoods......

Why cheat yourself of an experience you can't claim with co-living.

Besides, Cariocas  are not your cup of tea for roomates.  They take way too many things for granted, and abuse one's good will and generosity. 

Try Gloria, Old Downtown, Urca.  Don't go to the seashore. 

“ Close to public transport is a requirement. Any suggestions?

The city busses are available just about everywhere.

Depending on where you are going you might have to change busses more than once though. It's a very big city. That will be a challenge if you don't speak Portuguese. I have used Uber there as well.

@sprealestatebroker Saúde, perhaps? A friend likes Urca. I'm not familiar with either.

@KenAquarius My Portuguese isn't very good, but I gave a guy directions to a borracharia early Sunday morning. I wonder where he ended up. 🤔

I'd prefer to live close to the VLT or a Metro station. Close to a bike path might be good, too. I haven't owned a car in years.

I need to visit Rio and look around. It's a big city. I haven't seen much of it, mostly the tourist attractions. 😀

Be careful. It can be a very dangerous place especially after dark, even in the nicer neighborhoods.

@sprealestatebroker Do you have any thoughts on the new coliving places Hub, Send or Skylux? Hotel Glória looks expensive? I think there's another development in Gloria, I don't remember the name.

@sprealestatebroker Do you have any thoughts on the new coliving places Hub, Send or Skylux? Hotel Glória looks expensive? I think there's another development in Gloria, I don't remember the name.
-@alan279

Not specifically.

You can rent a room in a Pensao, but the word itself conjures a room in a shared dwelling where your mates are journeyman types at best. 

Still, you can find some Auntie that could lease you a room, and actually provide some cooking for you.   That would be a bonus.

The key, while you fritter away your Dollars on expensive lodging, is to skip the tourist spots and head straight towards the neighborhoods. 

For as long as you stay on the right side of the Reboucas Tunnel ( Túnel Rebouças ) , you should be alright. 

So get your walking shoes, and go pound the pavement.  This is a word of mouth thing.  You go to your lunch counter/barrooms, grocery stores, beauty parlors, with a chaperone in hand, and ask flat out, if any Tia has rooms to rent.   

A good widow, that would be perfect. 

Here's places you can sort through to find what you seek,

Santa Teresa.

Lapa.

Botafogo.

Downtown ( Centro )

Urca ( with some luck, that is an exclusive enclave, no tourists around)

Jardim Botânico

Breaking down on places you don't need a car...

Downtown

Bairro Imperial de São Cristóvão • Benfica • Caju • Catumbi • Centro • Cidade Nova • Estácio • Gamboa • Lapa • Mangueira • Paquetá • Rio Comprido • Santa Teresa • Santo Cristo • Saúde • Vasco da Gama

Favorites : Paqueta, Lapa, Centro, Santa Teresa

South (old posh )

Botafogo • Catete • Copacabana • Cosme Velho • Flamengo • Gávea • Glória • Humaitá • Ipanema • Jardim Botânico • Lagoa • Laranjeiras • Leblon • Leme • São Conrado • Urca

Favorites: Botafogo ( it's posh ), Gávea,Glória,  Jardim Botânico ( it's past Leblon by the way towards the Christ Redeemer Status ),Laranjeiras. Copacabana and Ipanema are by the coastline, so only apartments. 

West ( Working Class )

Bangu • Campo dos Afonsos • Deodoro • Gericinó • Jabour • Magalhães Bastos • Padre Miguel • Realengo • Santíssimo • Senador Camará • Vila Kennedy • Vila Militar   

Favorites : Up to Realengo fine.

Tijuca

Alto da Boa Vista • Andaraí • Grajaú • Maracanã • Praça da Bandeira • Tijuca • Vila Isabel

The Whole Tijuca is decent.

North Side

Bonsucesso • Bancários • Cacuia • Cidade Universitária • Cocotá • Freguesia • Galeão • Jardim Carioca • Jardim Guanabara • Moneró • Olaria • Pitangueiras • Portuguesa • Praia da Bandeira • Ramos • Ribeira • Tauá • Zumbi

Bonsucesso, Olaria,  Madureira • Marechal Hermes

@sprealestatebroker Saúde, perhaps? A friend likes Urca. I'm not familiar with either.
-@alan279

Urca is a good scoop if you can score.  Not a tourist hangout, nonetheless, by the shoreline.   

Very quaint.   There's a private beach nearby you are only allowed if you have any rank to give you the pull.  Military personnel.

Just don't get caught in places like Duque de Caxias, Belfort Roxo, or the Favelas.  If any place looks like an Ants' nest. avoid it like a plague.

Also, Jardim Botanico ( Botanic Gardens ), which is close to Leblon by the shore.  The entire garden actually soothes the surrounding  climate, so you don't feel like your in the Gates of Hades through the dog days of summer.   

Summer is high season specially around the Coastline, so every out of the pocket expense stings ( you will be gouged and they could care less ).   One thing you learn from local old foggies ( retirees ) is to vacation immediately  after the Carnaval ( Mardi Gras ), when a sudden drop on demand for everything, and people must crawl back to work, means the town is yours to be had at a rate you can actually afford.

Which can put in play other quaint places like......

Angra dos Reis

Parati  ( coast line, lots of artisan shops )

Buzios

Cabo Frio ( Salt flats are there ) 

Ilhabela

Skip Santos and head towards Sao Paulo's South Shore. by Cananeia and Iguape ( lots of  retired Japs live there ).

Giving you a breakdown on the stops  by the TRAM

VLT trains 

it pretty much tells me you ought to b e close to Downtown

Caveat.   Downtown also houses a lot of prostitutes.  Cheap Rent. 

Line # 1

From :Aeroporto Santos Dumont through Rodoviária Novo Rio  and Praia Formosa

Itinerary/ Stops

Avenida Rio Branco ( various )

Orla Conde

Binário do Porto

Padre Henrique Otte Bus Stop

Altogether 20 stops

Pier Mauá ( Cruising Ships )

All of the stops

Rodoviária → Santos Dumont   

Praia Formosa

Rodoviária Equador

Pereira Reis

Gamboa

Providência

Harmonia

Parada dos Navios/Valongo

Parada dos Museus

São Bento

Candelária

Sete de Setembro

Carioca

Cinelândia

Antônio Carlos

Santos Dumont

Santos Dumont → Rodoviária   

Santos Dumont Antônio Carlos Cinelândia Carioca Sete de Setembro Candelária São Bento Parada dos Museus Parada dos Navios/Valongo Utopia AquaRio Cidade do Samba Santo Cristo Cordeiro da Graça Rodoviária Praia Formosa

Landmarks

Theatro Municipal

Cinelândia

Museu Nacional de Belas Artes  ( Art Expo Museum )

Museu de Arte Moderna do Rio de Janeiro ( Modern Art Museum )

Aquario ( Aquarium )

Praça da Harmonia

Museu do Amanhã

Rodoviária Novo Rio.

Praça Mauá

Biblioteca Nacional ( National Library )

Line # 2

Itinerary/ Stops

Rodoviária

Praia Formosa

Rodoviária Equador

Pereira Reis

Gamboa

Providência

Harmonia

Parada dos Navios/Valongo

Parada dos Museus São Bento

Candelária

Sete de Setembro

Carioca

Cinelândia

Antônio Carlos

Santos Dumont

Interconnects:

SuperVia Rail

Teleférico da Providência

Procópio Ferreira Bus Terminal

Américo Fontenelle Bus Terminal

Padre Henrique Otte Bus Terminal

Landmarks

-Praça XV

-Orla Conde

-Paço Imperial

-Arco do Teles

-Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Monte do Carmo

-Confeitaria Colombo ( Cool place.  Very old fashioned. Lots of dignified old dames taking the afternoon snack break )

-Palácio Tiradentes

-Faculdade Presbiteriana Mackenzie Rio (Mackenzie is a nest of conservative politics, kind of Yale )

-Central do Brasil ( Commuter Rail where you will go to the exurbs, mostly your blue collar type of places.  If you go gettho, this is -wherer is at )

-Cidade do Samba ( I wonder if they do rehersals out there )

-Palácio Duque de Caxias

-Rodoviária Novo Rio  (this will take you out of Rio and to anywhere there is a bus line in the Country.  Think Greyhound )

-Campo de Santana

-Real Gabinete Português de Leitura ( Looks like a place for stuffed shirts to discuss literaly stuff ).

-Teatro João Caetano  ( Good for playrights )

Line # 3

From": Aeroporto Santos Dumont through  Central do Brasil ( Commuter Rail to the exurbs )

Itinerary / stops : Throughout Avenida Brasil, Avenida Marechal Floriano, altogether 10 stops

Central Cristiano Ottoni

Pequena África

Camerino/Rosas Negras

Santa Rita/Pretos Novos

Candelária

Sete de Setembro

Carioca

Cinelândia

Antônio Carlos Santos Dumont

Santos Dumont → Central   

Santos Dumont Antônio Carlos Cinelândia Carioca Sete de Setembro Candelária Santa Rita/Pretos Novos Camerino/Rosas Negras Cristiano Ottoni/Pequena África Central

Landmarks:

-Aeroporto Santos Dumont

-Museu de Arte Moderna do Rio de Janeiro

-Theatro Municipal

-Biblioteca Nacional

-Museu Nacional de Belas Artes

-Largo da Carioca

-Igreja da Candelária

-Igreja de Santa Rita de Cássia

-Colégio Pedro II

-Centro Cultural Light

-Palácio do Itamaraty