Why is Aguadilla so under developed in areas?

I recently visited Aguadilla for a week with my family. We absolutely loved the trip. Though we often found ourselves wondering why so many places look just abandoned. In what we would consider prime locations like right on the coast. It seems like it's waiting for someone to spend some money and that's all it needs. Please help me understand what we didn't see in our short trip.

Welcome to Puerto Rico! I live in Isabela, next to Aguadilla. Same situation here (and most places I have seen on the island). Probable cause: PR real estate law generally says if no will, goes to inheritors as determined by the Registry Court (not sure its that exact name). They then have to unanimously agree on disposition, or an inheritor needs to commence a court action to force a sale, etc. . Because many relatives are off island, getting agreements is rough at times. That's my two cents! :)

@MF&JI Lots of abandoned properties because relatives don't have money to pay property taxes that keep accumulating in order to sell. Also, they are not interested in learning about real estate laws. If the laws regarding inheritance and real estate were made easier for the sale there would not be so many abandoned properties.✌️