Renewing a lost anmeldung ahead of permanent residency

Hi everyone! I have a bit of a weird issue. In 2021, I had to send my Anmeldung to the driver license office to get my german driver's license. Long story short, the office gave me my driver's license card but lost my Anmeldung and now I need to make a new one. 

In 2024, I will be applying for permanent residency (niederlassungserlaubnis). I had my first Anmeldung from October 2019 to February 2020 when I moved in my current flat and got the second Anmeldung that's now lost in February 2020. What should I do? I know I can request a new Anmeldung at the Burgeramt but I don't know if I can ask them to register me from February 2020 as if the second Anmeldung wasn't lost. I feel like this will be weird to authorities if they see one initial Anmeldung from October 2019 and a new one starting from December 2022 or January 2023, I am concerned they can deny me permanent residency because of that.

Hello Trabantlover,

Thank you for starting this new thread to ask your question.

Since this forum is quite active,I am sure you will get help from other members soon. 1f609.svg

Best of luck,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Trabantlover Just ask for a certificate of your registration. It is available for a small fee. (A new registration at the same address is neither possible nor required.)

Ok but what will be written on the certificate of my registration compared to the original Anmeldung?

Ok but what will be written on the certificate of my registration compared to the original Anmeldung?
-@Trabantlover

I think it should show both date of issue and date of registration. Lesson learned is that one should not just give away original documents. If required, then at least make a copy for yourself first. But it is common to have to submit such documents new. The reason is that the original registration can't prove that you are still there and haven't moved since. Often they require a new document rather than the original anyway. They then know you were still registered there. I know when I got German citizenship in 2019 I had to get both new proof of registration and of being married.  You have to order this and pay yourself. German government offices don't just contact each other to confirm.

Although I am in Austria and we have nearly the same system as Germany. I have made copies of all my documents and I also have them saved on my Mobile phone as a backup.

Hi everyone! I have a bit of a weird issue. In 2021, I had to send my Anmeldung to the driver license office to get my german driver's license. Long story short, the office gave me my driver's license card but lost my Anmeldung and now I need to make a new one.
In 2024, I will be applying for permanent residency (niederlassungserlaubnis).
-@Trabantlover

Unless you actually need the Anmeldung for something specific, don't bother getting a new one now. The appointment situation has gotten even worse in Berlin (yes it is hard to imagine that it is even possible to get worse) because a few of the Bürgerämter had to cancel all their appointments until February in order to concentrate on preparing the "do over" elections.

Furthermore, you don't need to submit your Anmeldung with your NE application in Berlin.