Banking in Belize

My name is Tonya and my husband and I are in the research stage of moving to Belize, Corozal district probably. 

We have found many wonderful resources and have planned a trip to Corozal in early June. 

The area that we have found the least or most confusing information is on Banking.  If anyone has any suggestions or insight on obtaining a bank account in Belize it would put my husband's mind a little more at ease. 

What we know now -

You have to have an established relationship with an international bank in the US before moving.

You  have to have references from 2 banks to open an account in Belize.

You have to be able to deposit a minimum of $2000 monthly if you plan to use the QRP

The rest of it is what is very confusing!!!

thanks so much for your help.

Tonya L.

Hello Tonya,

Welcome on board !

Till members provide their insights, I would recommend that you read the Banking in Belize article of the Expat Guide to know more about how you can open a bank account and what is needed.

Regards,

Bhavna

@tonyatishere

Yes, I understand your problem. I can only say what my experience was and what I learned a few years ago.

In 2016 when I was buying a house in Placencia.

Back then Atlantic had an International division which has since gone out of business. Anyone seeking to open an account will need to meet the requirements of the Central Bank of Belize (which no one mentioned existed up front)

I summited all the forms and letters asked for by the domestic Atlantic Bank, then waited a few weeks, went to the bank and asked about it, and was told it would be a couple more weeks and they would contact me. Time passed, nothing, went back to the bank, and was told the Central bank had denied my application.

Never did find out why, at that time i had not retired, had good income and had a good amount of funds in two major US banks and a credit union. Since I was not going to do the QRP, I just said the heck with a bank account here. I use credit cards with no international fees were I can. Use a debit card from my US credit union that has very modest ATM fees here, to get cash in BZD. I pay utilities online. I have a charge account at a building supply store to make it easy to order/get delivered tools and home repair items. I pay that bill with the debit card.

I have been told the Central Bank has eased up on opening new accounts to Americans lately, but have gotten along for 6 years without, so see no need to do it now. I know this wont work for everyone, but has worked for me.

I suggest calling all the banks and talking with the manager (lower level staff tend to take the easy way and just say no😀) . I think Atlantic Bank still has a toll free 800 number. There are three other banks. Belize Bank, Heritage Bank, National Bank of Belize. Not all banks have branches in all areas.