Certified Check or Money Order

I need a hard copy of a Certified Check or Money Order payable in US dollars. I have to send this to Hawaii via snail mail with an application to renew my driver's license. I have tried several banks and Western Union. I was really surprised to find that Western Union only offers Money Orders in the US and Canada. Does anyone out there know where I can get a Certified Check or Money Order here in HCMC (near Go Vap district is even better)? 

https://driving-tests.org/hawaii/driver … lace-renew

This also says you must prove you are resident in the United States

@drutter Hi. I have been faced with this in the past for both money needing to be sent and paperwork to federal and state agencies. In my case, I asked my daughter residing in California  to help me. I sent her PayPal money and she then went to a 7/11 and obtained the money order. Then she printed out the form from a PDF file I sent her that I had filled out and "signed" with a digital version of my signature. She included the required documents in an envelope and used my return address which happens to be a mail forwarding service in Houston, Texas. This has worked for me a few times.

Is this an option for you?

@Fred I can prove residents with bank statements from my bank in Hawaii as well as my drivers license...plus I have a friend who kindly allowed me to use their Hawaii address as my "regular" address.

@Fred Hi, Fred

I appreciate the link but it's a little to late. I already have my renew packet filled out and ready to mail (absent the certified check). My friend will pick-up the license for me in Hawaii and mail it to me here.

When you get the renew packet you will be instructed to do the following:

HAWAII DRIVER'S LICENSE APPLICATION FORM:

Must be filled out completely

Please include your phone number and/or email address on your application so we can contact you in case of discrepancies

1. TWO PROOF OF HAWAII RESIDENT ADDRESS DOCUMENTS (dated not more than 60-days):

Bank statements, utility bills, paycheck stub, rental agreement, etc.

Photocopied or electronically printed address documents are acceptable.

Your name must be printed on the Hawaii resident address documents

Do not remit PO Box or out of state address documents

1. 2. STATEMENT OF DRIVER LICENSE POSSESSION:

Must be notarized by a Notary Public (must be original)

1.3 MEDICAL REPORT FORM:

Must be filled out by a licensed physician

1.4 CERTIFICATE OF EYE EXAMINATION

Must be filled out by a licensed Optometrist or Ophthalmologist 

1.5 SIGNATURE FORM:

Sign within the yellow rectangle / leave all other boxes blank

1.6 Cashier's check or money order payable to County Director of Finance

"No Personal or business checks":

$10 for 2 year license ages 72+

$20 for 4 year license ages 18-24 yrs

$40 for 8 year license ages 25-71yrs

1.7 Mail your ORIGINAL documents, completed renewal packet and payment to our office:

By Regular Mail:

VRL- Hilo Driver's License

349 Kapiolani St

Hilo, HI 96720

Attn:  RBM

APPLICANTS WITH AN EXPIRED LICENSE:  You will be assessed a $5 reactivation fee for every 30-days past the expiration date starting on the 91st day.  Send appropriate renewal and reactivation fees that apply to your license.  All requirements and payment must be received before the 1-year expiration date.  Should your license pass the 1-year expiration date, a written test and road test will be required.  Although you have up to 1-year to renew your license with applicable fees, your license is not valid to drive with.

NOTE REGARDING FOREIGN MAILING ADDESSES:  We do not mail licenses to foreign addresses.  Your LPL card must be picked up at our driver license office at the address listed above, by a 3rd party shipping company (FedEx, UPS, etc.).  This arrangement and expense shall be the sole responsibility of the applicant.  If you would like a friend or a family to pick up your LPL for you, a signed letter of authorization to release is required with your completed packet.  Your signed authorization must include the name and phone number of the individual who will be obtaining your license.  Your authorized person will need to present a valid photo identification for pick-up.

Your renewal will be processed upon receipt of ALL required documents noted above.  Once processed, your license will be mailed to your U.S. or APO/FPO address within 6-8 weeks.

REAL-ID ENFORCEMENT DEADLINE:  The Federal Government has extended the REAL-ID enforcement star to May 3, 2023.  Current licenses and State ID's are valid for travel with or without the gold-star marking until May 3, 2023.

Mahalo!

County of Hawaii

Dept. of Finance

Hilo Driver's License