Call the United States from Brazil

Please recommend a way to call the United States from Brazil. It has been my biggest problem. My card was

hacked and I could not reach PayPal initially to report it. My daughter in the USA reported it for me, but they would only let ger go too far since she was not the account owner. We are on What's App, but that only works if you are both on it. 1f627.svg

Roddie

You may wan to setup a google voice number.  You'll be able to call the US from a US phone number using an app on your phone or your computer.  I believe it needs to be associated to an actual US phone, so perhaps your daughter can open the google voice account using her number and pass the login credentials to you. voice.google.com is the site.

This was my biggest problem too for awhile.

I finally brought an Ooma teleo from the states and set it up in Brazil with a local number in Maryland, and plugged in a cheap handset, so I can send and receive calls for free by just plugging the teleo into any wifi router.....

Best of all the monthly bill is about $6.00 US.....

But dont try and order one by mail from Brazil, Receita confiscated the one I sent.

(sigh)   we just returned from Inubia to Bom Jesus.  Its a seven hour drive through the mountains, plus an hour to change a flat in the mud in the rain.  Only to find that we forgot to pack the teleo and phone.   sigh...... I should shut up and just mind my own business ......

Please recommend a way to call the United States from Brazil. It has been my biggest problem. My card was
hacked and I could not reach PayPal initially to report it. My daughter in the USA reported it for me, but they would only let ger go too far since she was not the account owner. We are on What's App, but that only works if you are both on it. 1f627.svg
Roddie
-@roddiesho

I just use my Caro Pre-paid plan on my Samsung phone I brought from the USA and call the USA directly on my cell phone. While I would not stay on the phone for an hour at a time, I do pay my USA bills this way with just my R$60 a month phone plan, it's easy and very convenient. 

Another possibility is Skype.

It's a bit crap but usually works.

Google voice is definitely the best solution.

Roddie
-@roddiesho

Hi, I recommend Viber out. I'm in Europe right now, and I call  Brazil regularly.

You can make a worldwide plan for 6 dollars a month and you can call for free 60 countries landline and mobile. The quality is good.

The old Magic Jack or Majik jack used to be a dongle you installed in the wireline handset, this going way back beyond 10-20 years ago.

It eventually evolved to a computer attached device and then, nowadays, an app you can load on your smartphone ( IOS and Android.

It takes you to enroll in a membership program that can vary from 1-3 years.  Roughly up to USD 40 per year.

In return, you will assigned an US Based phone number.  It benefits you to the point you have an inbound and outbound line.  Meaning your Stateside dear ones can call you ad hoc any time towards your device ( which might then be your handheld wireless phone . Just as you can call them back. Flat rate, unlimited calling.

Quality of call ( QoS) varies, for most part, it's decent. Not dialtone perfect, but pretty close. 

Most of the pre-paid cards, Net2phone and even aforementioned free apps  ( whatsapp and others ) use the same type of traffic, which is carrying data packets through dedicated routing end points through fiber routes. 

For the non initiated, it's called SIP trunking , a way to carve dedicated lines to Voice over Internet ( or VoIP).

The quality of service depends a lot on factors such as payload  x bandwidth and the  preferred routing treatment ( modern routers can do a lot about traffic prioritization ).  The more your carrier pays, the better is the speech through the lines. Less latency, less jitter on the call ( choppy calls ).

Google meet or whatsapp are the best ways to call your country. Pop into a coffee shop if you lose your internet and use theirs.

@roddiesho call with Skype is very cheap way

@roddiesho i use my us phone number works great

Call your daughter then have her initiate a 3-way call to the company. That way the call to them will show as being initiated from USA (assuming she has a USA number.

Using for years noble.com choose emerald card. Fifty dollars recharge automatic when hits ten. Cheap register 4 phones, simply call local acess number and dial as if your in the states, 1 plus area code and number. Always clear.

I don't know if this is a good thread to put this on but please advise if it's not.

I canceled my cellphone phone service in the United States but I'm planning to go back and visit for a short amount of time. What would be the best option for service for less than a month?

I know there are throw-away phones still availabe.....they are off brand, you get them in places like Dollar General .....

@jasonlovesdogs l sent you a pm on something l found. I don't know if it's what you need or not

I know there are throw-away phones still availabe.....they are off brand, you get them in places like Dollar General .....
-@Inubia

Ah yes the classic “ burner”. Used to be popular among drug dealers and the like. Make a few calls and then “burn” it. 😄

@jasonlovesdogs I always buy an unlocked phone a buy sim cards wherever I am at the time.

@KenAquarius great. Thanks