Rent a flat or a house in Manila

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Manila. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Manila.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Manila?

How to find a home in Manila: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Manila?  Yes and know. From what I understand you either know someone or you don't. Everything here is like going on a treasure hunt.

How to find a home in Manila: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies? So far best way I know how it to ask around. Make sure you have a local that is familiar with prices, on local real estate, and knows how to negotiate. I find that online, and newspaper ads seem to charge 2-3 times what you can get the same place or nicer for. From my experience in Asia almost everything is like this, especially hotel rentals. On the fly accommodations actually save you way more money then booking everything in advance.

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment? I rent my 2 Bed 1Bath Apartment in Taytay, Manila for 8900 a month, which I feel I coulda get down lower to like 7-8K flat easily if I was here to negotiate when we got the place. I friend told me he rented a 3 bed 2 bath house just down the street from me in a nice subdivision for 11K. 

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation? Need a friend with a checking account I believe. It sucks here in the Philippines you can't just go into a bank and open a checking account. You need to have a savings account for year before your allowed to do so.

Which advice would you give? Don't look online, if you like saving money. Make friends. Remember your friends quite possibly aren't your friends. Don't forget to thank your friends. Filipinos love gifts, even just a box of chocolates, or anything.