Rent a flat or a house in Stavanger

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Stavanger. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Stavanger.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Stavanger?

How to find a home in Stavanger: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Any recommendations with regards to rentals and possibility of buying property in Stavanger?

Anything useful - Moving to Stavanger due to Husband's job...  Also issue on rentals allowing pets (cat)

It is more difficult to rent if you have pets in Stavanger, I have a dog.  An apartment in Stavanger can cost anything from 8,000 NOK upwards (that is a basic small apartment), I am paying more than that for a central location.

My advice is also check the deposit as it can be 1 months rent or 3 months rent as a deposit as well as the rent. Also make an inventory of items if furnished and check what is included with the rent as electricity is charged on top of rent and can average 700 NOK a month (line rental and also electric costs ontop)
Also check the length of the contract as most are for 9 months rental with 3 months notice if you want to move out of the place.

If you like city living then Stavanger is great, pay more,but central. Also access to coffee shops and walking distance to lots of places.

Many thanks for your advise...  Could you recommend some agents?  at the moment I am doing all of my research from UK, and my Norweigian is a little limited, but have started learning.

Thanks for your contribution sarah.taylor72!

Harmonie.:)

Try on Finn.no. Use google translate helps.  Go into Eiendom,then Bolig til Leie (Places to let/rent).Then comes up with various areas.  Click on Stavanger or Rogaland (Rogaland is the area Stavanger is in).

If you click on Alle Omrader it brings up all rentals in the Stavanger area. 

Have a look and also check the deposit as well as it varies.

Hope this helps?

Many thanks - very useful...

I just recently moved to Stavanger, and found it quite daunting trying to find a place. If you donŽt have a car, then I recommend looking at the bus routes too.

There is a huge difference between living in the city centre and living slightly outside. I live at Madla (near the Amfi mall), which is about 10 minutes by bus, 40 minute walk, from the city centre, and I have an ok-sized apartment on my own for 7500kr. I donŽt mind the 10 minute bus ride to town, and swallow the cost of a night bus/taxi home from town if IŽm out.

One of the most daunting things was trying to judge where to look - it all depends where you are working and whether you have (or want the expense of having) a car. There are no real areas that are particularly dodgy (although I was warned off a few streets in Storhaug).

If you need to find a place before you come over, then maybe it is easiest to try and find someone who can look at apartments for you. Or do what I did and arrange a bunch of viewings one day in the week where you can come and make a decision :) It was definitely worth it as you see what you are paying for!

Good luck finding someplace! Feel free to message me for advice if it helps :)

:top:

Hi i dont know if You using this forum still but if You please help me, im trying to move to norway stavanger (or near) how to find a room flat? pls and im really thx :):)

i am a international student and my name is sadia ashraf.i got admission in the master of global studies in the school of mission and theology.now i need a signal room with bath room.i have contacted to the sis housing but they said the last date of applying was 15 april now they cant do any thing.please help me to arrange a room near the school.thank you

Hello sadiaashraf -> You could post an advert in the Housing in Stavanger section. It can help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi
Sadia have tried fin.no?
Try that website it might help you.
Or try the online Norwegian English newspaper called
theforeigner.no

Asalaamualaikum sadia hi how r u? iv got admission in UiS iv booked my room with sis.. when are you expected to arrive in norway?

I agree that is quiet inpossibke to find an apartment once you have pets. I ended up re-homing my 3kg dog till I hope to be able to buy something and managed to arrange couple weekends stay over with the landlord. Electricity is very expensive so is tv and Internet. It is a huge plus once those are included. References are plus but as in my experience so far they tend to decide if they want you or not at the first meeting, so make sure you create a good first  impression ,I messed it up the first 85 times as soon as I mentioned my dog. It is difficult to be choosy.  Leave the agency's alone, they need literally everything  from you and about you and even then they never get back to you for days when you email or call. Search on finn.no and go private.  And always try to Negotiate. Like ask them to include some of the outgoings. They seem to take you more seriously.

You are talking about renting a flat in Stavanger.

I cant believe it is about 8000 NOK to rent a small house !! It makes 1260 USD !

Is it really so expencive ??? 

I basicly get about 400 USD per month for a living.

Hi,
I'm from Colombia and recently travelling to norway to continue a  research, so I'm looking for a place where live. any information or tips could help me.

thanks.

Eddy

hi guy i would thank anyone who post here  :)  and i will come to Stavanger next winter and i'm trying hardly to find any apartment or room ( simple room just one room ) for rent i need it for 4 years and with reasonable price and i will be thankful for anyone reply me  :thanks:

Hi tohatnt,

I advise you to post an ad in the Housing in Stavanger section please, it may help you. :)

Thanks

Priscilla

Finn.no is a great help!

(Moderated: please post in the housing section)