Visiting and relocating.

Hello all,

Im an American married to a Mauritanian. I would like to visit and perhaps relocate to Mauritania. I was wondering how family life is there.

Yes, I am married to a native but his view is that of a native. I would like to find out how life there is from someone that has relocated.

I have 6 daughters 4 of which will come with me and I would like to start a small business there. My husband already has his family home there but I want to live and run my business in Nouakchott.

Is it expensive to start up a business? I would like to open a high end salon / boutique for women. My husband tells me Mauritanian women love nothing more than being pampered and shopping.

I already have my USA and overseas connections for my inventory but my question is the expense. Is it very expensive to run such a business there and would the cost of running it exceed the profit.

As far as for the children. Are there International schools there? If so does anyone know the cost. My children dont speak arabic or french. Not hard for them to learn but I was just wondering about the educational system there.

If anyone can help with these few questions i would appreciate it.

Hello Aaliyahtou and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will advise and share their experience with you soon.

Harmonie.:)

Welcome..

Yes there are 2 english medium international schools that i aware in Nouakchott. AISN (American International School Nouakchott) located inside the American Embassy compound and the other one is TLC, located at Ksar area. For the education fees for AISN, 1st Grader and above, it would be around USD13,000 per annum and for <1st grader, it will be USD6500 per annum.

I can tell you woman boutique here are quite plenty & operated until a very late hours so i guess it's true that mauritanian women loves it.