Internships in San Francisco

internship in San Francisco
Updated 2019-05-24 13:37

Interested in doing your internship in San Francisco or any other big city in California? If you are a fresh graduate, doing an internship in this city can be an amazing experience. This article outlines the vital information you need on regarding the requirements and conditions for performing an internship in San Francisco.

Do you need a visa?

If you are about to travel to San Francisco for an internship, the first thing to do is check whether you need a visa. Following that, you will need to find a company or organisation that is willing to sponsor your visa.

In fact, your employer is responsible for providing you with the DS-2019 form which will allow you to apply for the J-1 visa - an internship visa. However, you also have to check in which field you are allowed to do an internship in San Francisco or California as a whole. You can find relating information on the US Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs website.

Types of J-1 visas

The J-1 visa is divided into three categories: 'intern visa', 'trainee visa', and 'the work and travel visa.' When applying for this visa, you must first decide which category you belong to. To be eligible for this visa, you must be aged between 18 and 38 years at the time of your intended internship.

Besides, to qualify for an internship in California, you must either be a student or a graduate for not more than one year, and your internship must be related to your field of studies.

Good to know:

The intern visa is only valid for a year but can be renewed if need be.

To qualify for a trainee visa, you must be aged between 18 and 38 years and also have graduated for not more than one year. The trainee visa is only valid for one year, however, it is not renewable. Besides, you must have at least 12 months of experience with a degree in the respective field or five years' experience in your desired field of study.

You will only be qualified for a J-1 work and travel visa if you are a student aged between 18 and 28 at the time of the internship. However, this internship will last for four months maximum. For more information, please visit the USCIS website.

Finding an internship program

You can find an internship by contacting an employment agency abroad. In general, agencies take care of all relating formalities even though you will be charged for the services provided. You can also seek the help of your university or other higher education institution or simply check out ads on the Internet.

Useful links:

My Internship Abroad
Career Builder
Career Path
Monster Board

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.