Updated last month

About to move to Sweden with your pet? Find all that you need to know about traveling there with your pet in this article.

If you are planning to move to Sweden and have a pet (or pets), you are most probably planning to bring them with you. The good news is that, if your pet comes from an EU country, the process is very straightforward. In any case, as long as your pet is up to date with rabies vaccination and is microchipped, you should have no problem bringing it to Sweden.

If your pet comes from an EU country

Traveling to Sweden with pets is rather easy for European Union nationals. In general, your pet must be in possession of a European passport delivered by a licensed veterinary, mentioning the different treatments received. Moreover, your pet must wear an electronic identification microchip. The Swedish Agricultural Directorate recommends the electronic identification microchip for all pets so as to avoid unwanted delays at the Swedish borders on arrival. If your pet is wearing an electronic microchip which is not ISO certified, it must be in possession of its own scanner on its arrival at the border post.

Your pet must be vaccinated against rabies as per the vaccine producer's recommendations. Note that the producer must be approved by the World Health Organization (WHO). Moreover, your pet is not allowed to travel within 21 days following the vaccination date. In case two vaccines are required, the delay starts as from the second vaccine.

Your pet will not be compelled to undergo a blood test to check the vaccine's efficiency.

However, in all cases, the animal must be at least 4 months old to be allowed to travel. The rabies vaccination must take place when it is 3 months old and the trip has to be undertaken at least 21 days following the first vaccination.

Treatment against tapeworms is no more compulsory.

 Good to know: You are not allowed to travel with more than five pets unless you have written evidence that you are attending a competition or show. Even then, all your animals should meet the pet travel rules, be at least 6 months old — and you’ll have to fill in a declaration.

If your pet comes from a non-EU country

If your pet comes from a non-EU country, the process is slightly more complicated. Whether you’re coming from a listed (having an intensive rabies control program) or a non-listed non-EU country (which does not have a real rabies control program), you will have to make sure that your pet:

  • is in possession of a health certificate established as per the 2004/203/CE model, supporting a valid rabies vaccine
  • has undergone a rabies medical checkup, as well as treatments against ticks, tapeworms and echinococcus
  • wears an identification microchip
  • has a pet health certificate (E9.207 form) that was issued 90 days following the tests and vaccinations
  • is declared by its owner (that would be you)

You will find more information on the Ministry of Agriculture's website.

 Useful links:

Expat.com – Pets in Sweden Forum 
Ministry of Agriculture – pets coming from listed non-EU countries www.jordbruksverket.se/swedishboardofagriculture
Ministry of Agriculture – pets coming from non-listed non-EU countries www.jordbruksverket.se/swedishboardofagriculture/engelskasidor/animals
Ministry of Agriculture – different types of pets (birds, rabbits, reptiles, etc.) www.jordbruksverket.se/swedishboardofagriculture/engelskasidor/animals/import
Listed non-EU countries www.jordbruksverket.se/swedishboardofagriculture/engelskasidor/animals/import/dogscatsandferrets

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.