Applying for a professional visa for South Korea

Professional visas for South Korea
Updated 2017-10-05 12:36

There are different types of visas in South Korea. For example, individuals seeking work experience will need a professional visa. There are also specific visa types for investors wanting to set up a business in South Korea as well as those who wish to embark on a partnership. To apply for a Korean visa, visit your nearest Korean embassy or consulate in your home country.

Work visa

Citizens of some countries may be exempt from applying for special work visas in South Korea. Check with the responsible authorities before starting our visa application process. There are two ways to request a Korean work visa. If you are not yet in South Korea, you will have to apply for a work visa with the approval of your Korean employer. Should you already be in the country, you should contact the South Korean Consulate or Embassy in your home country.

Work visas in Korea are usually valid for one year and require two to four weeks to obtain. However, the visa duration can be up to seven years depending on the applicant's job in South Korea. Visa holders can also apply for a visa extension if they plan to work with the same employer for longer. Once you have arrived in South Korea, you will be required to obtain an alien registration card from the immigration office in South Korea. This ARC card states your personal information, your occupation, visa type, and length of stay.

To apply for a work visa, you must submit:

  • Your passport
  • Your duly completed and signed application form
  • A passport-type ID photo
  • Certificates or other documents relating to the visa you are requesting
  • Fees applied (depending on the length of your stay, number of entries to South Korean and nationality)

Business visa

To obtain a business visa in South Korea, you must hold a valid passport. While submitting your application, you have to submit a passport-type ID photo, a duly completed and signed application form containing a South Korean address and phone number, an invitation letter, a copy of the commercial record of the society in which you want to invest, and more. You must also submit a document from the company stating your current position in the company.

Partnership visa

To apply for a partnership visa, you must submit your original passport, a passport-sized photo, the duly completed and signed application form, a financial support letter for your stay issued by the company wishing to send you to South Korea, an invitation letter issued by the company which will welcome you in the country, as well as its business registration certificate. You will also need an investment authorisation issued by the South Korean Ministry of Finance.

Good to know:

Once you complete all the required formalities, the visa should be issued within five working days.

Useful links:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of South Korea
Immigration to South Korea

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.