Taking My car To Denmark Should I or Not?

I have been trying to find out if it is worth me bringing my car across with me when I move or if it would be cheaper just to buy a new scond hand car over there.
Can anyone please tell me how it works,or if I should keep it registered in the UK if I can.

You'll have to pay the danish car tax on your used car.  For a new car it's 1.8 x the actual sale price, and is graduated by the tax authorities for used cars.  You'll need your original sales document to prove the price; otherwise the tax authorities will use their prices.  If you plan to leave before 3years (I think), you can pay the tax gradually, otherwise you used to have to pay it in a lump sum.

I'd forget the car for the time being.  Leave it in the UK.  The police nick cars with foreign plates.

Hi!

I'll move soon to Denmark. For practical reasons (I have a wife, a new born, and 2 dogs), we plan to go with our car, as flying will be too complicated considering that we'll move some stuff at the same time.

But then I'd like to get rid of the car, just sell it away. What do you recommend? How difficult would it be to sell the car in Denmark? What about selling it in Germany or Sweden instead?

Thanks in advance,

Oscar

Hi,

I am moving to Denmark and taking my car with Swiss plates with me that is not in good condition... (2004 Opel, 141 KM, originally paid 4500 Swiss Francs) but was in an accident in Germany and is now only worth about 800 Swiss Francs)

It is easier for me moving to drive my stuff there, and then I think I would just like to get rid of my car. How do you this in Denmark? Do you have to pay money to do this?

Thanks,
Ryan

ogomez2 wrote:

Hi!

I'll move soon to Denmark. For practical reasons (I have a wife, a new born, and 2 dogs), we plan to go with our car, as flying will be too complicated considering that we'll move some stuff at the same time.

But then I'd like to get rid of the car, just sell it away. What do you recommend? How difficult would it be to sell the car in Denmark? What about selling it in Germany or Sweden instead?

Thanks in advance,

Oscar

If you sell the car in Denmark you'd still have to pay the import tax. Unless you can find someone that will take it out of the country. Better to sell in Sweden or Germany then.

Hi Guys,

Could go into all the reasons for and against bringing a car, but since I have already written on my site, you may just wish to read it there.

fyidenmark.com/importingcartoDenmark.html

Remember, that car prices are coming down in Denmark and you can get several brands of cars for under 100,000. (that is new) and there are plenty of used cars for 30,000 to 50,000 that are in good shape.

It rarely pays to bring your own car to Denmark!

Hi johnty_m

You are right about many reasons for and against bringing the car.   In Denmark we joke about we pay for 3 cars but only get delivered one:):):):)  when we order new one...
All the troubles and other related issues has been shown here on

trafficrules.dk   especially in the forum you can find specific help 
trafficrules.dk/forum/car-taxes-group4/

here you also find examples on recent used car, how they were taxed

have a nice journey to Denmark

What a double standard that Expat.com has.

charly.dk glad you were allowed to post a link, Expat.com took my links down, since they thought I was advertising versus helping.

It bit hypocritical of them!

there is no double standard, it just takes us time to review all the posted messages.

Only active members are allowed to post links (note that we don't remove the URLs, we only deactivate the links). Now that you've posted a certain number of message, your links will remain active next time (if there is no abuse).

by the way note that there is a link to your website in every message you post, under your picture