Information on Compounds Please!

Hi

I'm new to Riyadh!  Just arrived two days ago.  I'm a 26 year old British female and I'm looking for a one bedroom or studio apartment on a nice compound.

I am going to look at Fal very soon.  Can anyone tell me what their experience or opinion is of Fal?  and how much is a studio/1 bedroom there?

can anyone recommend any other compounds that might be suitable and has availability?  I really appreciate any information.

Cheers!

Hi rebecca.wright.uk,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to help you.

Hi Rebeeca,

welcome to Expat.com....

I can assist if you are also thinking to stay outside. But for UK female single or with family, I would suggest to stay in compound......
all the best
john

Hi All,
I'm also quite new in Riyadh and actually not yet on a permanent basis. Actually I'm in here to prepare my move from Germany to Riyadh. As my family (wife and daughter) will join me some month later one of the most important things to do is looking for a nice area (compound) to live in for the next 5-7 years.

I'm actually looking for a western style compound somewhere in the northern part of Riyadh (bewteen Exit 3 and 11) because most of the international schools are around there.
My office will be in Al Olaya district but I'm prepared to take the challange and get on a nice car ride every morning.

From books and internet I collected already lots of information about the existing compounds but one thing I'm realy miss:

[small]A list of all western or mixed compounds in Riyadh with precise information and indication about their location or even better the coordinates of google earth where the compound can be found.[/small]

If you are new in Riyadh it is not so easy to navigate to the different compounds or even identify in which area they are if you would like to visit them and many taxi drivers are useless.

If somebody has an idea how such a google earth map could be made available in this forum on a permanent basis  where all of us could add there knowledge and experience to that map it would be a real help for all of us new expats in Riyadh.
I would be happy to provide all the information I collected during the last weeks to such a database.

What am I now looking for than???

A 2-3 bedroom villa (or appartment) if possible in a larger compound starting from 01.01.2012. May  preferd compound is Kingdom City but the waiting list is very long.
In the meantime (between September 2011  and Januar 2012) it would be ideal if I could rent a 1 bedroom appartment on the same compound.
Budget for the 2-3 bedroom max up to 180 T SAR/year.

If anybody can help would be great.

Thanks and all the best
Harald

hey you guys here are some compound names i ve heard when I was in riyadh earlier:

ROCK COMPOUND
OASIS COMPOUND
AL YAMAMA COMPOUND

i knew more but I dont remember so sorry sorry I dont know anything on prices

EDIT: I just found this hope it helps :Dhttp://britishexpats.com/wiki/COMPOUNDS_IN_RIYADH

Hi Rebecca,
drove arround Riyadh all day with a taxi driver, visiting several compounds and looking for a place to live very soon.
Here is my latest compound list with contact informations.
If you need, I can provide also information about their location in google earth. Just let me know.

My latest Compound List July 2011
Good luck!

AL HAMRA Tel: 249 0440   Ext. 708 Mrs. Sany

AL WAHA GARDEN VILLAGE Tel: 278 8414 x 1149
[email protected]
Mr. Hilal Marketing Manager

ARABIAN HOMES Tel: 454 1888 (Steve Barrat) ext.128

ARIZONA Tel: 248 4444
[email protected]  Mr. Anas  is Manager of the Ressort

CORDOBA OASIS VILLAGE Tel: 248 3471  ext.409  Manager Mike Butt
[email protected]

EID COMPOUND Tel: 248 3366  ext.7001 Mr. Greech

FAL COMPOUND Tel: 248 5847 (Mr. Mouklas) 4036

GRANADA COMPOUND   Tel.:2788387 Mr. Abdullah Dehil ext. 2026

KINGDOM CITY Tel: 275 0275 (Mrs Lotti) ext. 2605  [email protected]

NAJD VILLAGE Tel: 248 1040 x 513 (Ali Askar)

RIYADH VILLAGE Tel: 246 4900  Malonie Deasy  Tel. : 246 2400
[email protected]

SEDER VILLAGE Email:  [email protected]  Phone: +966(1)2280000

If you are intersted in renting Villa not in compound but in very nice area called "ALWAHA" North Riyadh close to king Abdullah Road, I can help with that because it belong to my friend and he is only intersted in renting the house to Western family. the villa is fully furnished with swimming pool. it is available for immediate occupancy and available if you want to see it too.

Rebecca,
Fall is good option but little bit old. Studio over there s good, if u need assistance et me know I have friends there.

Rebecca,

Best of luck finding a place.  Would you be so kind as to let me know what you think of the compounds as you look at them?  I'm moving over in September and my wife and 8 month old daughter will be a few months behind me and we're also looking for a one bedroom place to start with.

Absolutely! 

Honestly, my experience so far would be to get your name on as many waiting lists as possible.  Everywhere seems to have 12-24 month long lists.  Having said that money talks!!  I'm sure deals can be done.

I have REALLY struggled to find somewhere, but fingers crossed something has been organised with Al Wadi compound which seems pretty nice.  Certainly not the most glamourous or nicest I've seen, but quite homely feeling and I think perfectly suitable for what I'm after.

I have also looked at FAL - there is no way I would live here.  Very basic accommodation (my student digs where better than this!!) and a lot of leary looking men.  If I were you I wouldn't want my wife or daughter there.  I think it is quite cheap though.

Al Khuzama, seemed very nice, recently refurbished, so looking good, facilities in great shape.  But they only have 2, 3, 4 bed places and I'm not sure on prices.  You maybe able to sort something out.

Ishbillia Village, quite small, but again quite new so in good shape and the accommodation looked good.  I think they had one 1 bed left....  but they refused me as I am a single woman!!

Riyadh Village - I haven't been to yet, but it has just been re-furbished to and is not quite complete, supposed to be finished in Oct.  Sounds like it will be nice, good facilities.  Maybe worth a look.

I really liked Al Wadi, it is close to work and 4 other compounds which you can go to and use all of their facilities.  The social scene seemed friendly too, British, American, Canadian and Europeans mainly.  I think they have a one bedroom coming up in Oct, so it maybe worth registering your interest with them now.  The contact there is Segu: 

villasrosasco.com/contact-us.html

If you email him he probably won't respond (as I found with every compound out here!) so phoning is the best thing to do.

Good luck.  if i visit anywhere else I will keep you posted.

Becky

I am got the job offer in Riyadh. I am Indian.  can any one tell what is the costly of living there? Is these place is safe for Indian? full furnished Rented flats are easily avialble there and at what cost? they are offering me 13000 SR/Month..I have a 4 years of IT Experinance..I will bring my family after some months...can any one help me to get answer this questions

Hi Rebebba,

I live in a small building complex/compound that has 1-bed (with kitchenette, and 1-bed full kitchen apartments.

The place is decent and nicely located. I know for sure there is an apartment vacated. Its in Rotunda Compound

Do let me know if I can be of any assistance.

FWIW, we lived in Riyadh for 9 years, 94-03, in several compounds, and for 2 years in a city flat (terrible!).Last compound was Al-Yamama, which was great. Also good then were what is now Seder (then Ballast-Needham, run by Dutch co) - much depends on mgmt of the place, and how well it is maintained. Rock is near Al-Yamama, and seemed pretty good condition when we visited it. Al-Hamra is also good, but dear. Be aware that in renting, payment is 6mos in advance, and renter is responsible for EVERYTHING, including structure. Housing allowance is usually 3 mos salary, and we were told 'if you want it, you cant afford it; if you can afford it, you dont want it'. For western family cases, a compound is absolutely the best situation IMHO.
jp