Whats Ramadan like in Malaysia?

Hi all
Eventually when I arrive- it will be in the last 10 days of Ramadan.. what are the Iftars like? ... is there any community spirit around JB .....do all malls and shops close during the day during Ramadan?.. any info would b appreciated!
Cheers

Hi LIBRAN!

I hope that you will soon get replies.

Harmonie.:)

Thanks Harmonie......C'mon people .. WAKE UPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!:D

Malls and shops never close! Don't forget JB has a lot of chinese like KL as cities dominated by non Malays and the countryside is mostly Malay.

Try KL in Chinese new year. NO traffic it's quite weird and I suspect JB quite similar. Otherwise I note that malaysians would shop till they drop!

Hey Nermodot - many thanks for the tip!!....so eating and drinking is quite normal during Ramadhan?.....this is so different to the Middle East- will be a whole new experience in Ramadhan Im sure.... Cheers

Well obviously if you look Malay then the religious polis can fine you. But as women have their exception for a few days they can be seen eating but usually with discretion of course.

I worked through Ramadan once having all day meetings every day and as a Malay bank no tea or coffee for the western expats. It is impolite to eat or drink in the office openly of course in front of Malays or Mamaks or other Muslims.

LIBRAN wrote:

Hey Nermodot - many thanks for the tip!!....so eating and drinking is quite normal during Ramadhan?.....this is so different to the Middle East- will be a whole new experience in Ramadhan Im sure.... Cheers

To add my two cents in, non-Muslim should try their best to eat their dinner at shopping mall/restaurants before 6:00pm or the earlier the better during Ramadhan month!!!

The tables will be 'reserved' and will not be allowed to be shared! That is the nasty side of some Malaysian. I was personally told off when I politely asked to be seated with them to have a quick meal and that was as early as 5:30pm. Unbelievable!!! :rolleyes:

Hello Libran..
The shops and malls are open as usual. As stated by Nemodot, the non-muslims should show their respects during the Ramadhan month. If you are a muslim, you will see there's a lot of local stall selling foods for breaking fast during that particular month. And if you are non muslim, do not have to worry on finding foods as there are a lot of non-muslim restaurant open and ready to serve u. It just that, you are not advisable to go to normal rest. After 6pm which muslims will go and have their dine there as you shld give them way to prepare for their breaking fast. During Ramadhan, there are a lot of hawkers stall and you can find variaties of food there :)

eylia wrote:

Hello Libran..
The shops and malls are open as usual. As stated by Nemodot, the non-muslims should show their respects during the Ramadhan month. If you are a muslim, you will see there's a lot of local stall selling foods for breaking fast during that particular month. And if you are non muslim, do not have to worry on finding foods as there are a lot of non-muslim restaurant open and ready to serve u. It just that, you are not advisable to go to normal rest. After 6pm which muslims will go and have their dine there as you shld give them way to prepare for their breaking fast. During Ramadhan, there are a lot of hawkers stall and you can find variaties of food there :)

As business owners who caters to all, they will loose out if they are not able to serve customers from between 5:30pm till 7:30pm as their tables will be 'occupied'!!!

chrisck9 & eylia many thanks on the info.....yes I did think that its advisable for non Muslims to be a tad more respectful- just like it is in the Gulf region....its good to know that the spirit of Ramadan is clearly around - must be lovely to have all types of foods and delicacies served during the Holy Month... Im sure it will be a very interesting time to experience! Many thanks guys xx

What's Malaysia like during Ramadan?

Like the world's biggest food buffet.  As soon as prayer is called, they rush to the hotels and restaurants and stuff themselves.

It is, as one poster said above, impolite (actually downright rude and insensitive) to eat, drink or smoke in the presence of Malays during their fasting period.

They will generally be too nice to say anything, but it's still not a cool thing to do.

The local and traditional food served up during Ramadan is great.  Really great. 

As you will be arriving before the week of Hari Raya, one word of caution; if you need anything from a store or shop...buy it before Raya...good chance that store will be closed and the owners and workers back to their village for that week.

Safe travels!

MisterStretch wrote:

What's Malaysia like during Ramadan?

Like the world's biggest food buffet.  As soon as prayer is called, they rush to the hotels and restaurants and stuff themselves.

It is, as one poster said above, impolite (actually downright rude and insensitive) to eat, drink or smoke in the presence of Malays during their fasting period.

They will generally be too nice to say anything, but it's still not a cool thing to do.

The local and traditional food served up during Ramadan is great.  Really great. 

As you will be arriving before the week of Hari Raya, one word of caution; if you need anything from a store or shop...buy it before Raya...good chance that store will be closed and the owners and workers back to their village for that week.

Safe travels!

Hey MisterStretch!  Thanks sooo much for your post and advice! Im gathering that Ramadan is no different to the UAE so thank God I wont be getting any  cultural shocks!!! May have to stock up in the UK before I fly out soon- Many thanks !!!

Thank you all for sharing your experiences , since i will be in KL from 6th of Ramadan so Can anyone tell me abt the Office timings followed during Ramadan?

anyone ?

cynix008 wrote:

Thank you all for sharing your experiences , since i will be in KL from 6th of Ramadan so Can anyone tell me abt the Office timings followed during Ramadan?

anyone ?

Most probably.. The working hour during Ramadhan will be frm 7.30am to 4.30p or 8am to 5pm..believe me, you will get stuck in the traffic for few hours if you don't know how to manage your time well.

Hi All,

Thanks for the info, I will also be visiting Malaysia (Selangor) on 10th of Ramadan.

Where can I get food for having breakfast and also food for breaking my fast as I no nothing about Selangor and also doesn't know anyone at that place.

I got a job in KL and wanted to know if 5800 MYR is a good salary their?

Kindly suggest.

Thanks