All about the Olympic Games 2020/1 Thread

https://i0.wp.com/www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/tokyo2021crop.jpeg?fit=1024,723&ssl=1

I am sure you will behave yourselves because I would hate to have our wrists slapped. Remember, everyone is a winner whoever gets the most medals after these couple of years.  :par:

Olympic Games Medal Table LIVE

Hello SimCityAt,

Topic has been pinned.

Priscilla
Expat.com Team  :cheers:

"Wrists slapped"?  I don't get it.

Whose wrists would be slapped?  Who is the slapper?

Why ask the Home Office to pin this?

cccmedia

cccmedia wrote:

"Wrists slapped"?  I don't get it.

Whose wrists would be slapped?  Who is the slapper?

Why ask the Home Office to pin this?

cccmedia

It is an international game tournament only for 2 weeks. So might be an interesting thread for members to post their comments.

As for having the wrists slapped, it means don't be naughty.

Five-foot-seven-inch Richard "The Locomotive" Carapaz has claimed the gold medal for cycling at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics, becoming only the second Ecuadorian ever to win Olympic gold.  (Jefferson Pérez won the top medal for race walking in 1996.)

"My country, they're over the moon right now," said Carapaz, age 28.  "It's a very special moment for us."

Source... Olympics coverage by Associated Press

-- cccmedia in Quito, Ecuador

Hmm, I am guessing no one is a sports fan?

This space reserved for future upgrades of Expat.com

Kiwis won gold in the women's sevens rugby  :up:

This post updates and corrects a previous post that has been removed...

TOKYO, August 1, 2021 -- The Chinese have taken a four-gold-medals lead over the United States at the current Olympic Games.

China has captured 24 gold medals to date at the 2021 summer Olympics, four more than the USA.

Host-country Japan has won 17 gold medals.  Russian athletes have 12 golds.

The United States has won 60 medals to lead in the overall medals competition, including silver and bronze medals.  China trails the Americans in this respect with 51 total medals.

Source... New York Times Olympics coverage

TOKYO, August 8, 2021 -- The United States athletes have taken over the gold-medals lead at the summer games, 39-38, over China.

Russia, host country Japan and Britain are trailing and well behind in gold medals as well as medals overall.

The leaders in gold have also scored the most total medals -- the U.S. with 112 and China, 88.

Source... Washington Post Olympics coverage

A Saudi Arabian named Tareg Hamedi was disqualified from a gold medal after he literally knocked out his opponent with what officials ruled was an illegal kick to the head in the Olympics debut of karate.

The fallen fighter -- Sajad Ganjzadeh of Iran -- eventually regained consciousness .. learning that he would be awarded the gold medal and Hamedi would receive the silver one.

At the medals ceremony, the two men received their medals and then embraced.

It would have been Saudi Arabia's first-ever gold medal in any Olympics sport.

Source... Washington Post coverage of the summer games

The curtain has come down on the Tokyo Olympics.

The U.S.A. total of 39 gold medals was supreme .. and the U.S.A. was the only country to exceed 100 medals overall.

The U.S.A. women's basketball and volleyball teams were victorious in the final round of the Games.

Ex-UConn Huskies Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi won hoops gold for the fifth time each, unprecedented in Olympics basketball, and Brittney Griner led all scorers with 30 points as the Americans defeated host-country Japan, 90-75.  It is the seventh consecutive gold medal for U.S.A. women's basketball.  The team has not lost a single game at the Olympics since 1992.

Attention now turns to host-cities Beijing and Paris for future Olympics Games.

Source... New York Times coverage of the 2021 Summer Games

I have to admit that this is one of the first times I've really not paid any attention to the Summer Olympics. No reason in particular, I just don't feel very invested this time around.

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR