Can Expats Get By in This World's Cities Without a Smart Phone?

I was having trouble gaining online access to my bank account in Quito, Ecuador.  I confirmed the username and the password, but still couldn't log into my account.

Today I went to my branch .. where a bank officer told me that I needed to have a smart phone to access the account online.  My flip phone would not do.

I am also unable to log onto the account from my laptop.

---

Last week, after my 8-year-old Tekno-brand TV died beyond repair, I bought a large-screen Samsung TV to replace it that the store promised me had everything I would need to send Internet signal to display on the TV.

After making the purchase, I came to find out that I need a smart phone in order to obtain the code to make this web-to-TV happen wirelessly.

Meantime, I devised a workaround that involves connecting a ten-meter cable between my MacBook and the TV.  This gets me the signal, but is not exactly the clean and wireless method I had in mind.

What is going on?

cccmedia in Ecuador

07/22/21

Not surprising,  in either case.

I have no idea about Ecuadoran Internet banking security, but if it's anything like what we have in Brazil, it's very specific about the security features in both hardware and software, and will not connect if the updated features it queries for aren't available.  My Surface Pro 2 is no longer allowed to connect to my bank for that reason, although my other computers and my smartphone have no problem.

I'd guess that your Samsung Smart TV is probably running Android,  and is looking for an Android device, like a smartphone, to talk to.

Something in the Samsung Galaxy A Series should give you connectivity without having to pay an arm and a leg.

Soon we will be declared dead not when our brain ceases to function, but when our smartphone runs out of battery ...

Yes, I know lots of people without a smartphone. They get by just fine.

My phone is not smart and neither is the user !!
Suits me perfectly, sends and receives messages same for calls.

I get my kid's hand downs.

The only phone I've ever bought was an iPhone 4s, I needed it for the satnav I could download to it and for business and back in those days, only the MD had a business mobile; fast forward a few years, the things were so cheap, everyone had one and our telecoms supplier at work gifted every employee a free mobile if the boss supplied the sim cards; it went downhill from there.

My current phone is an iPhone 6s that I got from my son, the battery is shot and only lasts a day, but I very rarely use them nowadays.  We're the only people in our family nowadays who still have a house phone.

beppi wrote:

Soon we will be declared dead not when our brain ceases to function, but when our smartphone runs out of battery ...

I like what you said, yesterday i go back to one place, they didn't see me from some weeks and they think some problem happen to me , i know it's not exactly when you talk about but i wanna share this because it's similar. sometimes peoples have stupid thinking or thinking about they own fear.

I use 2 because the one that has a good camera and run the apps better stopped detecting my sim card so I had to start using my old screen-broken smartphone as a phone and the other as a pocket machine for running apps and taking pics

Find useful info to succeed in your expat project

OR