Making a Will

I left the UK last year without making any provision for my death. Although it is my intention to be around for a good few years yet, what I would like to know is, can I make a will in Malta to benefit my children who live in the UK?

Have a word with a notary as I do not know for sure, if you do will you please let us know on here.

It's simple. I recommend Anthony Gambin in Valletta.21371951 or 99497522.
First class service at a very low cost. My children are spread around the globe and UK. No problem and good luck.
Yours aye  Prof Stephen J Newton

One issue not solved gor me is I wish to be cremated and my ashes taken to Scotland  but there is no crematorium in Malta!

Adrian,

yes you can, i did. I have a will made in the UK and one here.

scunkone wrote:

Adrian,

yes you can, i did. I have a will made in the UK and one here.

Can I ask what is the point of having a will made in the UK if you're living in malta? Why do you need a UK and Maltese will?

I already had the UK will made before i came over and then i was told that i need a Maltese will just in case the UK one was not valid as i am here.

scunkone wrote:

I already had the UK will made before i came over and then i was told that i need a Maltese will just in case the UK one was not valid as i am here.

Thanks. I appreciate your update on the situation. It seems that the process could be very time consuming and probably quite costly. I may make enquiries with my solicitor back in the UK to see what they advise.

Hi,

yes that's the best thing to do. Let me know how you get on. I also need to take another look at my paper work now that the UK has left the EU.

You have to be careful about wills in Malta, there are a lot of rules here, your kids have legal right to certain % of your assets on death and you have to allocate that much to them etc. and without proper wills there are long periods of hell involved.  Which is why there are arond 70k empty properties in malta.

Your foreign will has no real bearing about things here, unless you specifically state this in a will filed with local authorities and if these wills are at some level compatible.

Notaries deal with this stuff, go talk to one.

Seems you did not read my advice!
It's simple. I recommend Anthony Gambin in Valletta.
First class service at a very low cost. My children are spread around the globe and UK. No problem and good luck.
Yours aye  Prof Stephen J Newton

One issue not solved gor me is I wish to be cremated and my ashes taken to Scotland  but there is no crematorium in Malta!