License for a scooter?

Do I need a special license to ride the scooter in Malta or how are the rules?

Thanks in advance guys.

Mickey

If you have a valid driving license cat. B for a car, you can also ride a motor scooter not exceeding 50cc.

For riding a motorcycle up to 125cc / 11kw you need a special driving license cat. A1.

For bikes up to 33hp you need the driving license cat. A+ and for bikes with more than 125cc resp. more than 33hp you need the full driving license cat. A.

btw, even for stronger quads you need to have driving license B+

There are lots of driving schools in Malta (without sustainability ? ;) ) which can give you further information.

Cheers, thanks a lot Matm911.

Just out of curiosity - do you have a link to where I can see the prices for every individual driving test?

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … ng-licence

http://www.justiceservices.gov.mt/Downl … d=9203&l=1

23A. With effect from the 19th January, 2013, access to the
driving of motorcycles in category A shall be subject to a minimum
of two years' experience on motorcycles under an A2 licence

georgeingozo wrote:

a minimum of two years' experience on motorcycles under an A2 licence

That's a good idea, especially young men seems to have no control over their strong bikes ... but this is no "technical" matter ;)

I got a small discount on my motorcycle insurance by providing an evidence that I have several years of experience.

@ Mickey: Anyhow, driving on 2 wheels in Malta without any previous experience is not recommended. First of all you should avoid the bypasses and other streets where the vehicles are driving fast.
You need to have an eye on the road surface and the traffic signs, the second eye on the usual traffic ahead and behind you, the third eye extra for reckless motorists or the ones, that bought their driving license without any school or exam (as it was not unusual several years ago) ... and it's also necessary to have your fourth eye on the bike itself.
Since you have no metal protection, take good care and expect the unexpected :/ - and DO NEVER GET ANGRY while driving a motorcycle !!! (although it is sometimes not easy to keep calm ..)

matm911 wrote:

If you have a valid driving license cat. B for a car, you can also ride a motor scooter not exceeding 50cc.

Hey Matm911, do you know if this has changed now that the new AM license class has been introduced, or can I still use my UK B, B1, fkp license?

Sorry, I don't know, but anyhow, I think driving a 50cc scooter or even the old 70/80cc mopeds should not be a problem (also without any driving license).

You could ask an insurance company about the requirements for this.

Those who have the old licenses, for example category A (motorcycles up to 25kw) NOW there licenses are approved for category A2? (motorcycles not more than 35kw of power) ?

if i have a 250cc bike with 25kw of power now i can ride a bike with power not more than 35kw

Cardonad wrote:

Those who have the old licenses, for example category A (motorcycles up to 25kw) NOW there licenses are approved for category A2? (motorcycles not more than 35kw of power) ?

if i have a 250cc bike with 25kw of power now i can ride a bike with power not more than 35kw

If you are from Malta.....why do you not know this already?

Just interested.........like.

Because unfortunately in Malta nobody tells you any thing, you have to find clues. I'm not sure about it, that's why I'm asking

i was reading the MOTOR VEHICLES (DRIVING LICENCES)
SUBSIDIARY LEGISLATION 65.18
MOTOR VEHICLES (DRIVING LICENCES)
REGULATIONS

here: transport.gov.mt/land-transp ? ng-licence

and there's and interesting part in page 31

I would say merħba to Cardonad. Are we exclusively ex-pat?
I ask this as it could be good to have local input, we may learn something and it is good to build relationships, especially with our 'hosts'.

Cardonad wrote:

i was reading the MOTOR VEHICLES (DRIVING LICENCES)

The old or the new version ? :D:lol:
Besides that is very difficult to get official information, now everything (import rules, registration tax, road tax, question catalogue etc.) is also changing due to the new government.

Two months ago TM already used the new question catalog for the motorcycle license exam, but because of some distribution problem another department of TM didn't pass the new questions to the driving schools nor have they been informed that there are already new questions - only because suddenly a lot of people failed on the test, they found out that there's something wrong :rolleyes:

btw, there is no registration tax anymore for all motorcycles less than 250cc ... so, guys, time to ride :cool:

matm - could you give a link to the info about no-tax for less than 250cc? That sounds interesting.

well i just phoned TRANSPORT MALTA yesterday and i asked information about the new licenses. since i have the category A (OLD VERSION) from this year now it's changed to category A1 so now i can drive motorcycles that do not exceed 35kw of power , irrelevant of the ENGINE CC.

i can step up form 250cc now but i must be sure that the power of the engine it's not more than 35kw

oscar_PL wrote:

matm - could you give a link to the info about no-tax for less than 250cc? That sounds interesting.

it was in the budget

"Registration tax on motorbikes with an
engine of up to 250cc will be removed and for
motorbikes with an engine larger than 250cc,
registration tax will decrease by 25%"

Thanks for the info, but since when is it effective? Are this like plans or have they been already implemented?

The Online Calculator seems to be already updated!

oscar_PL wrote:

Are this like plans or have they been already implemented?

they were passed in the budget

And HERE is the official document (refer to page 22)

Huge thanks. :)

Hello, I have a Uk driving licence and I passed CBT in Uk... What can I ride here with passenger ? Thanks in advance hope all is good :-)