From Idaho to France

Hello, my name is Caroline and  I live with my husband in the Pacific Northwest close to Spokane, Washington.  We are planning to re-locate to France as this has been our dream for quite some time.  He has recently come upon a job opening in Puteaux, right outside of Paris, and now we are full of hope but extremely overwhelmed!  Stumbling upon this ex pat site has been a lifesaver and I hope that once we're settled over there, we can be of help to others who too have the dream yet don't know where to start.
                                                    So in that vein, I have made a list of questions ranging from the absurd (is it possible to find Fage Greek yogurt in Paris?) to the practical (do landlords like to rent to people with pets?)  I am sure to exhaust the patience of one person reading this, so any and all advice, suggestions, experiences, etc., will be gratefully appreciated.

Here goes:

If my husband works in Puteaux, is it possible for us to live in Paris without him having a huge commute?  I did some research on this area and it seems to be quite cosmopolitan and industrial—am I wrong?  It also doesn't appear to possess the “charm” of Paris---really hope I'm not offending anybody.   If, say, it was a matter of living in Paris and him walking a few blocks to the metro for a 15 minute commute, it wouldn't be so bad, but to complicate our lives with a huge commute –or worse—have to drive everyday…well, this is one of the things from which we are trying to escape.

We have a “neighborhood fantasy” where we only need a car for special occasions, because we can walk or bike to everything important to us.  For instance, every morning I would like to put the leash on the dog, grab my day-bag and set out on foot for all of my errands such as:  used book shops, coffee shops, thrift stores, outdoor markets, library, post office, park which allows dogs, bank, church (catholic), a small store for household items like toothpaste, light bulbs, etc., good ‘mom and pop' i.e., not tourist restaurants, among other things.  Is this possible or am I expecting too much? 

Speaking of cars, could we conceivably get by without one?  Where would we keep it? On the street?  What if we don't have one, can we rent one for trips out of the city?  We are selling our three cars here and would like to be done with it….is this advisable or will we be sorry we didn't keep one?

Speaking of markets:  I understand that most markets are open one day a week but that you can always find a market open any day of the week.  What are the chances of living in a neighborhood where I could walk to a market every day?

On pets:  will landlords rent to us with a dog and two cats?  Can we bring them to begin with?  Our dog goes everywhere with us, would she be welcome in the outdoor markets?  Are people expected to keep their cats indoors?

Are there shops where we can buy household items like toilet paper, shampoo, etc. or do we have to venture into the huge supermarkets for this?  Do the outdoor markets sell wine, and if not, are there many wine shops around?

What about child-support issues in the States?  Anybody have experience with this?

My husband is in the tech industry.  If he is hired on with a company there, do I automatically get a green card as well?  Are my chances better if I have TESL certification or does it really matter?

Any ideas on cost of moving a whole household across the ocean?  Is it common for companies in France to help with these expenses?

We have heard that Paris can get a little cold and snowy in winter, and is scorching in summer.  As this is largely relative depending on who you talk to, what is the temp throughout the four seasons?  Is it safe to leave our snow shovels here?

11. Silly questions:
Where can our dog go swimming?  Can I get NPR in English there?  Are there free concerts/symphony anywhere?  What are the thrift stores like—Goodwill?  St. Vincent de Paul?  Can our dog ride the metro?  What about Fage Greek Yogurt?  Am I likely to find an apt/home in Paris with a space to garden?  What are the chances we would be sent back to the States?(of course, I know I'm risking that with all these questions)

That's it for now.  Many, many thanks to whoever has taken time to read this and responded.  --Caroline

Hey Potatohead,
We currently live in Seattle, WA but lived in France during 9/11. I can answer some of your questions.

2. There are always 'street markets' open every morning where you can get your fresh fruit, vegetable, cheese and the like.
Little grocery-type stores also exist and are open except for Sunday (never open and not during the lengthy lunch hour) don't forget to buy food for Sunday. We at first had cereal on Sunday's because we forgot the market wasn't open. There are also big grocery stores, they hold no charm but are good for staples, ie: t.p. shampoo.
There is a wonky deal with the grocery carts at the big groceries. You have to have a special 'coin' (available in the store) to release the cart from it's jail. You return the cart when you are done and get the coin back.
There are no U.S. size portions of chips etc. It's a good thing.
Shop for fresh bread everyday, it's cheap and really good, although fattening.

Dogs-The French love dogs but they don't pick up after their dogs like we do. I don't know why. Dogs can go in restaurants, stores, anywhere. It's very cool. I don't know where dogs go swimming, sorry.

Packing-We packed in the biggest boxes that the airlines would allow and took 10 of those. Dead easy. You can buy good sports equipment there.

Bring your winter clothes, Paris is cold in the winter.

Buy the book: "learn French in 10 Minutes a Day" it has little pasties you can stick all over the house and covers all you need to know.

Say Bonjour to everyone you communicate with FIRST before asking your question and shake hands.

Make friends with kids parents school friends or join the 'library french/english' group, its free and they always need "American" speakers as opposed to English.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Let me know if I an be more help.

I'm currently writing about our time in France, on my third draft. We loved our experience.

Shawn

Shawn,
A million thanks for your tips!!!  I actually ordered the book, 'French in Ten Minutes a Day' right after reading your post...I can't wait to put the labels on everything--what fun!  We are on the edge of our seats waiting for this to happen and the more we know--well, the more we know.  Thank you so much and if anything else comes to mind, we are just sponges for information!  Good luck with your writing---Caroline

You don't need a car unless you rent in a bad location, and there are tons of rental companies for when you want to do road trips.  Landlords in Paris are a pain...from what I have heard, both my sister and a friend have recently moved there, but it is not impossible.  You can watch NPR on your computer if nothing else.

Depends on neighbourhood, but you shouldn't have to go to mega stores for anything...there are smaller supermarkets everywhere.  You'll find a place with a garden if you pay enough or are far enough outside, it is not the norm.  I would be hesitant to have leave a cat outside, in Paris....it would, again, depend on neighbourhood.

If you can, go for a week and get a feel for the place and the areas, failing that take a short term rental while you find your feet...three months or something while you figure things out.  There is an excellent American library there as well, nearish to the Eiffel Tower.

If you want to teach English, you would do well to get the CELTA certificate.....you can get them in schools everywhere.  I cannot speak for France, but in Spain your husbands right to work doesn't grant you the right as well.  It is possible that you would not be allowed to work legally, this though is a question for the consulate who can give you lots of information.  Indeed, I would start the process of talking to them about bringing the animals NOW.  The French are famous for their lengthy beaurocracy, and the paperwork is ALWAYS lengthy...I have taken a dog to Canada and back from Spain, and 6 months is good as a beginning for getting organised.  The dog may also need shots....

Have you ever flown with the animals before?  I think I have posted on here somewhere about it.....

Good luck!