Buying healthy foods for your home consumption

A company called ZenB is producing pasta using yellow peas as the base instead of the normal pasta ingredients.  My doctor didn't want me eating regular pasta anymore so this has been a blessing.  It tastes like regular pasta.  (ZenB.com)

Some other companies, notably Barilla, make pasta from green vegetables.

----

Some packaged ice cream is produced these days without dairy. 

I am also supposed to avoid dairy because testing showed an allergy to dairy and seaweed.  So this is another blessing.

Look for ice cream products made, for instance, from coconut milk.

Check the ingredients label.  Some ice cream packages indicate the product is sugar-free or has low sugar content.  Check with your doctor for the level of sugar you can well tolerate.

The quality of taste among low-sugar and non-dairy ice creams seems to vary widely from brand to brand and within brands.  These products often come in smaller containers than the family sizes.

----

Please mention your methods, tips and tricks to buying and eating healthy foods .. on this thread.

----

I have no financial relationship with any products mentioned in this post or this thread.  If that were to change (which I doubt) I would so state. 

The availability of products may vary from market to market and store to store within a geographical market. 

cccmedia

As mentioned, I have cut back on dairy products.

At the supermarket, I buy a cream-cheese substitute for use on my salmon/English muffin sandwiches.

I buy a butter substitute, especially the vegan Earth Balance brand, which cuts down on cholesterol and saturated fat.

cccmedia

As far as I know, Barilla's green pasta is the same as the yellow, plus a dash of spinach powder as colouring.
Many "low sugar" products contain surrogates that may not be any healthier.
To make butter substitutes, vegetable fats need to be chemically treated and hardened.
And the vegetable fat is often palm oil, for which tropical forests are destroyed.
Coconut milk is rich in saturated fats. Thus replacing it for dairies is questionable.
And dairies are mostly o.k. for anyone without allergies or lactose intolerance.

This shows that a healthy diet isn't that easy to achieve - and definitely requires not just to rely on product labels (which are marketing items).
I personally just eat lots of fresh vegetables (sometimes organically grown) and less meat.

Further research indicates the ZenB pasta is a better choice for many than Barilla Veggie pasta.

ZenB's pasta is 100 percent made from yellow peas.

The Barilla Veggie pasta contains 25 percent "real vegetables" including tomatoes, zucchini and spinach -- one cup of vegetables per 3.5 ounce serving.

Source:  the manufacturers' websites

Meet other expats and join the events

OR