Strange baby name?

Hello,
I have a strange question for you :).
My wife is pregnant at the moment and we have been considering some names for our future baby girl.
One of them is “Raya”. I do know that this means something like “big” in bahasa, so I wanted to ask you if it would be strange to give this name to our daughter. Or is it a common name in Indonesia? Thanks in advance.

Hello, congratulations!

Well, I am Spanish, "Raya" means "Line". In Spain it doesn´t sound very exotic unless you put the accent in the second "A", like "Rayá".

Raya means also a line of cocaine (in Spain).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Néstor

wimamawi wrote:

Hello,
My wife is pregnant at the moment and we have been considering some names for our future baby girl.
One of them is “Raya”. I do know that this means something like “big” in bahasa, so I wanted to ask you if it would be strange to give this name to our daughter. Or is it a common name in Indonesia? Thanks in advance.

Congrats for ur new born!!!
Personally I never knows persons named Raya, most common Agung as "big", but u can ask to ur balinese neighbors, they know It for sure.

Raya usually relates to auspicious, grand glorious celebration. Majority of girl names in indonesia are traced back to Hinduism, Islam and Christianity.

If you are considering names that associate with "grand" (as in being big), you can consider:

Kartika (Shining Star)
Dewi (goddess/angel)
Putri (daughter/princess)
Ayu (Beautiful - as in to describe a girl's beauty)

otherwise any romanized names is acceptable, for example,

Lydia
Natalia
Diana
Shelly
Nelly
Elizabeth
Annie
Debby
Linda....

Congratulations and may your child be born healthy, strong and blessed with abundance in life.

My favorite name for Balinese girls is Bunga. 

My most embarrassing moment with a beautiful Balinese lady was 22 years ago, shortly after I move here.  Her name was Ketut.  I called her kentut.   :o

wimamawi wrote:

Hello,

Congratulations to you and your wife.  It's true that "Raya" means big.  but more often it is used to refer to a celebration and denote major roads such as "Jalan Raya", "Hari Raya".

Bellow is recomended from me
- Ratu = queen
- Dafhina = high value
- Janitra = of high degree
- Maharani = queen
- Prisa = goddess of beauty
- Ratih = goddess of beauty
- Wiyana = Leader

Yuni Zanitha = Children who respect their parents.  Graceful & gentle. 😁

Thanks a lot for your answers. Really helpful!