Death of Canadian expat in Cambodia - access to bank account

My brother passed away last week in Koh Kong, he left no will as far as we can tell, and the logistics of dealing with him and his property has been quite a headache.

We have the name of the bank he used, and of course, loads of paperwork wanted by the bank.  However, the Funeral home owner who is helping us, stated that we would probably not be receiving any of his money as there is a lot of corruption in Cambodia, and the bank will charge loads of money just to find out what is in the account.

Any ideas

Thanks
Bonita

Sorry to hear of your loss.

If you didn't do already get in touch with the Canadian embassy, they can help you in this case.

Good luck.

Joe

There are ways around such problems, for us ageing expats. One of course is not to use a local bank except for small transactions cash in / cash out. I have an ABA account which never has more than $100 in it at any one time. Most of my savings etc are kept in my Bank of New Zealand account to which my daughter has access in the event of anything happening to me, and I just use Transferwise to bring funds across to Cambodia as needed. If I die (and I am guessing I will at some time) my daughter has all the instructions necessary to take care of anything that comes up. Its called planning, lots of people do it.

Hi, thanks for the info, he left no will, no contact, nothing.  It's  bloody nightmare.  I'm in Canada but my daughter lives in New Zealand too!  Small world.

I'm just worried that the bank, wherever that is, will liquidate his account, as least that's what I've heard happens over there.

Thanks again
Bonita