How to save money in Cambodia

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Cambodia? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Cambodia? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello, I have spent nine months of the last three years in Cambodia. As for cost it depends largely on how long you plan to stay and what you find acceptable. If staying long term you can rent a nice apartment for around $250 usd a month but that requires a years lease. Hotels will often rent rooms by the month at a discount. If you can live with just a fan it will save a good bit of money. Also staying away from resturants that cater to tourists will save money. The local food is quite good just pay attention to how ckean a place is. Street vendors sell meaos for around $1.50 usd that are tastey and healthy. Resturants can be a bit more, and of cource cooking your own food is cheapest. Learn some khmer as soon as you can especially how to count it helps when buying at the market. There are a few basic rules to follow to keep from getting sick. Be wary of anything sitting in water only bottled water is safe or boiled. Also besure the bottles have not been refilled. Most Cambodians are honest people and will try their best to communicate with you.  The best resource is to find a friend to show you the ropes. I hope this helps

cooking at home is cheaper then eating outside???

I hate to cook daily, and my job sometimes has very long hours, making getting to the markets a challenge. I found that I saved money by hiring a cook to come three times a week and cook enough for six days. She goes to the market and gets better deals than I get. I would never have thought that hiring a cook would save, but it has. She cooks for several others, and she is booked up now or I would give her name. If you have one who cooks only part time, the cook is not that expensive, and I gave a higher salary than she asked for.

My experience to save money in Cambodia:
1. Buy the fresh food in the local market, it is much cheaper than Supermarket
2. Cook by our self for our daily meal, reduce buy meal in the restaurant or cafe
3. Manage our time for hang out (1 week 1 time for hang out at cafe/ movie/etc....)
4. Reduce to buy something that unnecessary, just buy something that we need

This is me, how about other??

I agree. If eating out earlt from street vendors it is cheaper than cafe. Choose wisely your recreation. Mainly stay away from tourist venues and western style foods ( local food is very good) the fruit is amazing. I also limit my buying of sodas and other western treats. There are many things you can do that are free. I enjoy spending time along the river walk.

I always say the three largest challenges are to know where to buy what you want, what it should cost, and what you will have to pay for it.

I have a few people who are Khmer and get good prices on various items.  What surprised me was the packaged, processed, items are ALWAYS more expensive in the markets.  Central Market is the worst but ALL cost more than the prices in the larger supermarkets.  This does not necessarily apply to clothes, towels, mats, or things bought loose in bulk - think rice, nuts, fresh meat, fish, vegetables, etc. but everything from insecticide to boxed UHT milk is more expensive in ALL markets.  The more you buy the closer the price gets to what you will pay in a supermarket for a single item.

I would rather pay more for an apt where there is security 24 hrs. a day.  Loud neighbors and dangerous surroundings during the night can also be included in the unseen price of an apt.

Going out can ruin budgets quickly!  Best to keep a limit on relaxation and fun expenses to a reasonable amount (dependent on your finances and likes).

They used to have (for a very short time) hundreds of taxis in PP but the last trip I didn't see any, the entire week I was there - other than airport taxis that charged a fixed rate to the city center and only from the airport.  The rates were great (actually often cheaper than moto rides) and of course more comfortable and you could easily bring more groceries etc.  I would love to see them return to stay!  That said, motos, are cheap and plentiful but they are dangerous with many minor accidents happening all the time.

Renting a moto is relatively cheap and for younger or more adventurous types a fairly good option.  I have been going to Cambodia but PP roads all look the same to me.  I am sure if I had to ride a moto I would be fine but I prefer just to pay a little more and take motos and help the local economy a little.

Electricity is very expensive and depending on how well the A/C has been maintained it might be very expensive to stay comfortable.  Gas is cheaper than electricity for cooking but still expensive.

Laundry prices are cheap but they add up.  Very few apartments have space, hookups for washing machines and none, I have seen, have clothes drier hookups.

Realize everyone has had a difficult life in Cambodia - and some of the stories are true!  Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut and you will learn a lot.  Helping people usually doesn't work out well for the giver here.  There are ways to help - maybe supplying notebooks and school supplies to a public school (private schools will be glad to take your money but the students pay to go to school - even in public schools most kids pay something every day).  Giving money is generally not a good idea.  I used to ask beggars what they wanted to eat (at very simple outdoor places) if they said they wanted money - I would just walk away - to be poor, begging, and unwilling to stoop to accepting free food says they are not poor enough to need my help!

Just some ideas.

/gbdusmc_1/