Teaching Licensing or permit for an international in Montreal

Hello everyone,

I will be attending University in Montreal for a grad degree next fall and hope to teach while I am there.

I have been teaching at the secondary level for six years and wonder if I would be allowed to sit for the MELS exams or if my American Praxis II scores would at least qualify me for a permit, that I could then upgrade after I take some grad courses?  I really NEED to work while I study.  I am having  a hard time at the Ministry of Education in Montreal, getting someone to answer my questions.

Thanks

Try contacting the department of education at the University where you'll be. They should be able to point you in the right direction, although a study visa and a work permit are not the same thing, and a student visa will not necessarily allow you to work without getting additional permission from Quebec or Canada.

from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informatio … faq01.asp:

How do I find out if I can work while studying in Canada?

Foreign students can work in Canada during their studies, and after they graduate. In most cases, you will need to apply for one of the student-related work permits, which are required if you want to work in a co-op/internship placement, off campus, or after graduating from your studies (Post-Graduation Work Permit Program). Find out if you qualify by reviewing the information on work permits for students in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.