Interested in Traveling to Hanoi in 2021

Hey Everyone!

My name is Aaron and I'm a 29-year-old social media manager from Los Angeles. I met my now Vietnamese girlfriend during my trip there in Jan/Feb 2020. We have been dating since February but the long distance is tough for us.

Dating during a pandemic and long distance puts a strain on the relationship. I want to travel to Vietnam for 2-3 months starting in January. But I'm not sure if Vietnam will open international travel to US residents. Trust me, I know US is looking awful right now during this pandemic.

Does anyone have any updates on this? Or do I need a Vietnam company to sponsor my trip to Hanoi? Any answers would be helpful.

Thanks, Aaron

No one can tell what will happen in January, but a safe bet would be that unless the situation turns around very quickly in the US, the odds are high that Vietnam will allow US travellers to enter the country in 5 weeks, not when the door is still closed to many risk-free or low-risk countries.

As far as having a company to sponsor you, this subject was brought up and discussed ad nauseam in several threads recently.  You can search for the details, or I can give you a short recap:  fuhgeddaboudit.

As i stated on another thread, if you check

https://www.skyscanner.net/travel-restrictions

and enter the country that you are flying from, you will see a summary of restrictions for entering each country, which of course, you would need to confirm.

From the US:
- 15 countries with Low restrictions
"You can travel here and likely won't need to quarantine when you arrive or return."
- 101 countries with Moderate restrictions
"Travel here is possible if you meet certain entry regulations which can include taking a COVID-19 test. You may also be required to quarantine upon arrival and/or return."

From Vietnam:
116 countries with Moderate restrictions
"Travel here is possible if you meet certain entry regulations which can include taking a COVID-19 test. You may also be required to quarantine upon arrival and/or return."

So, you might consider the possibility of rendezvousing in a third country although many of the countries that are open are less developed countries. However, Brazil, Mexico and other Caribbean and Central/South American countries seem to be open to both countries.

Also, in that thread, which is here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=909567

near the end, the OP says he has made the decision to open his own company in Vietnam, as it may be his only chance to get there. So, that might be something else you could look into.

Anyway, by January, the situation in VN may be changed. Just have to wait and see...

I didn't realize things might change in five weeks. Thanks for this response!

I appreciate this response. That's a really good idea!

johnross23 wrote:

As i stated on another thread, if you check

https://www.skyscanner.net/travel-restrictions

and enter the country that you are flying from, you will see a summary of restrictions for entering each country, which of course, you would need to confirm.

From the US:
- 15 countries with Low restrictions
"You can travel here and likely won't need to quarantine when you arrive or return."
- 101 countries with Moderate restrictions

From Vietnam:
116 countries with Moderate restrictions

So, you might consider the possibility of rendezvousing in a third country although many of the countries that are open are less developed countries. However, Brazil, Mexico and other Caribbean and Central/South American countries seem to be open to both countries.

Also, in that thread, which is here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=909567

near the end, the OP says he has made the decision to open his own company in Vietnam, as it may be his only chance to get there. So, that might be something else you could look into.

Anyway, by January, the situation in VN may be changed. Just have to wait and see...

Inbound flights are now canceled again, except for repatriation of citizens:

vietnam-halts-all-inbound-commercial-flights