English speaking expats

Where is the best place to live in Thailand where there's English speaking people.  I would prefer not be be in tourist area's.  AM now living in Nonthaburi. Any Americans living in my area that want friendships.? I came here to retire with my Thai wife from California in 2013 she has a big family but none of them want to speak  English.  And they are so busy working or taking care of grand children that no one has time for us. Thanks for your feedback.   Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Your topic has been moved to the Thailand forum.

Thanks and Regards,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team  :cheers:

I live in Saraburi, my family of 12 also really speak no english, so I am working on learning Thai, I have 3 ipad apps which helps with basic stuff, hey it is their country , their culture, their language , I manage to get by but may never be fluent, so no chats about politics of anything fun, I am an engineer and they don't speak preventative maintenance and repair so , in at least 2 languages we don't talk , I do my independent thing and they tolerate me like I tolerate them, good luck with finding some one to chat with, if you ever get to Saraburi, give me a heads up ... I will buy you a Chang and we can commiserate
it isn't going to change , retirees are ignored world over , look at back home, the kids never visit they are busy doing their own thing ... find a hobby ... it is all we got going for ourselves .

You might consider Hua Hin south of BKK, nice developing area , not yet too expensive
and plenty of amenities ... was there for a weekend vaca and it was easy to manage and saw plenty of
falang, forget the islands unless you are rich, Chaing Rai, is up and coming as is Korat, forget BKK air pollution is getting pretty bad these day, and  Pattaya, Phuket , unless you like loud drunk tourists, been to them all and will not live anywhere near them ... so it is a gamble to find a place worth living in beside great food and weather ... community is lacking ... Chaing Mai is still nice but getting busy and lots of traffic too ...

Find any city that have what you looking for, Dont matter if it is a big Tourist place or not.
Many foreigner, Social event you can join and so on.

Then go look for a place to live 5 km-10-20-30 km away from it, That way you don´t have it in you every day live, But can go in and meet up for event, visit new friends, Invite them home.

Only thing to keep in mind, Well i think, Is to check out the Immigration office in that area you plan to move to, Read online about feedback about it, As we sadly have a few not so good here in Thailand.

About your family not talking English to you, I do think you look at it wrongly.
You choose to married a Thai and move to Thailand to build your live here.
And you dont even pickup enough Thai to talk to them, Imagine  what they must be feeling about that !!!!!

That you family dont have time for you, I have no idea about, As no matter what, My Thai family all ways have time for me/us.
Even so many of them have very busy live.

I do hope you find what you looking for.

Kindly.

Hua Hin is a great place for meeting people from all over the world! The beach is mostly kept clean! Very long straight and wide! Big Buddha at the far end! any ex-pats out doing morning exercise! New freeway built so can get in and out of BKK fast. I love this area to live in. Several ex-pat clubs! Especially for UK.

Hi Patrick,

Am Malaysia married with Thai wife and living in Nonthaburi close to Samakee Road where we're running a small apartment, I live there 3 days a week and remaining 4 days I work on my wooden boat alone in Ayutthaya, it might takes another year to complete my boat Golden Phoenix.

I am quite enjoy the tranquility lifestyle at Ayutthaya and you can cycling in many places, so you may give it a try.

I started learning Thai language online few months and I guess we need to make up our mind to improve our Thai language if we decided to spend the remaining retire time in this country otherwise our living circle will be limited to English speaking group only which is very inconvenient, somehow we still need to speak to strangers, waiter, sales person and even delivery boys from time to time.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Nonthaburi.
Max