Q...what would happen

to peoples (who live in another EU country) health benefits pensions etc if say their own home country pulled out of the EU....

for example if Greece pull out of the EU what would happen to the greeks pensions and reciprocal benefits etc living in another EU country.

http://tshirtgroove.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/i-pull-out-tshirt-300x240.jpg

Sorry for some reason I thought of this.

not sure if that means pull out     or      you made your bed lie in it LOL

what happens to the likes of your residency status if you have ordinary residency (say after 5yrs or more) - are they completely invalid.

Its a good question, they are pretty much the California of the EU....  hmm maybe we will get lucky and they will both fall into the ocean.  Where the hell is Lex Luthor when you really need him.

In all seriousness IF ( which I doubt ) they were ever removed from EU, there would be plenty of time for the locals and expats to make a mass exodus collapsing their economy even further putting them on the same level with most Muslim countries in terms of government and populous stability.  Hell they are already throwing rocks at each other.

More violence would break out, governments might send in boats/planes to remove their own people (hence the answer to your question...  each government takes care of it's own) , folks like me and private security firms would profit on the decapitation of another government and life would go on.. 

same as libia/iraq/afghanistan/nigeria/egypt etc...

toonarmy9752 wrote:

to peoples (who live in another EU country) health benefits pensions etc if say their own home country pulled out of the EU....

for example if Greece pull out of the EU what would happen to the greeks pensions and reciprocal benefits etc living in another EU country.

If Greece exits the EU/Euro, I fear Malta will be forced to follow as it will find international capital markets will dry up, causing a sharp increase in the cost of Malta servicing its debts, and so will be in the same situation as Greece.

As for Greek citizens living in other EU countries, well, Greek citizens will no longer be EU citizens. They will be classified as 3rd country nationals and with no reciprocal benefits unless they are of a bilateral nature. If they have been in their new country over 5 years they may have residency rights, otherwise will presumably need to get residency visas. What happens to their Greek pensions - if they are lucky they will be fixed in new Drachmas (if unlucky they will be cut), but that could mean only worth half their current rate in Euros. In summary, they may well be forced to return to Greece for both visa and financial reasons.

it is indeed a very interesting situation is it not....

One option for Greece is to exit the Euro zone which it only entered through wrong financial statements in the first place.

It is not about Greece leaving the EU so it would not affect any EU member state agreements like residential issues. There are quite a few EU countries that do not belong to the Euro zone like Sweden,Poland and ............the UK.

Regards
Ricky

I disagree Ricky - the issue isn't whether Greece is in the Euro or not as such, but the consequences of it dropping the Euro - practically all Greek sovereign debt is in Euros - If Greece exits the euro it will be forced to renegue on those debts as it will be even harder to service those debts from a much devalued currency and thus (I believe) have to leave the EU.

As it happens, the initial question was "for example if Greece pull out of the EU" not "for example if Greece pull out of the Euro" :-)

Could they pull out of Euro and not EU ?  I'm sure Greece would want to stay in the EU, but they may find themselves kicked out

Surely if countries can be allowed to not take the the euro and still be in the EU surely its possible for Greece to drop the euro for obvious reasons to them and remain within the EU. Mind i do have to say that after having been loaned billions of euros and not repaid it - what impact does that ave on the rest - plus if every country that gets in trouble through no fault but their own..then where does that leave the the remaining countries ---in debt likely without a hope of getting their cash back.

The only EU countries allowed to not take the Euro are those with a derogation (UK, Denmark and Sweden) - Greece doesn't have a derogation, and so is obliged to be in the Eurozone as part of its membership of the EU. Of course the rule could be changed, but I suspect its part of the EU constitution so difficult to change.

ps All new countries joining the EU have to join the Euro once they fulfill the entrance criteria - eg Malta had no choice, and places like Poland will have to eventually.

side note, Poland will but keeps postponing based on the economic crash of Slovakia when they went to the Euro...   They still havent recovered