Relocating to Malta

Hi everyone. Please be kind as I am new to this sort of thing and not very good at it.                                    I am thinking of moving to Malta and need a little advice if possible.  I am 62 and do not work at the moment and have a fixed income of around £1600 a month. I would be looking for somewhere to rent. Would it be possible for me to afford to live on the island on that sort of income. I may in time try to source a job in the tourist industry if that is feasible and necessary. I know you probably been asked this sort of thing before but any help you can give would be brilliant. It may just be a pipe dream but hey. Why Malta? My Dad served there during the war in submarines and loved the island and it's people so I have a sort of connection with it's history. Thank you.

Assuming you have visited recently and still feel a desire (its essential to visit), then with that income you should be fine in Gozo.

badgerk9 wrote:

Hi everyone. Please be kind as I am new to this sort of thing and not very good at it.                                    I am thinking of moving to Malta and need a little advice if possible.  I am 62 and do not work at the moment and have a fixed income of around £1600 a month. I would be looking for somewhere to rent. Would it be possible for me to afford to live on the island on that sort of income. I may in time try to source a job in the tourist industry if that is feasible and necessary. I know you probably been asked this sort of thing before but any help you can give would be brilliant. It may just be a pipe dream but hey. Why Malta? My Dad served there during the war in submarines and loved the island and it's people so I have a sort of connection with it's history. Thank you.

Welcome to the Forum, if you are serious about moving here I would recommend a holiday here, as long as it is safe to do virus wise, also before the end of this year because of Brexit.
Financially you would be better off living on Gozo then Malta as rentals are cheaper as mentioned before.
Good luck.

badgerk9 wrote:

Sir,
As you quoted a certain amount of money as your income you can live well here in Gozo. However, if you want to live here permanently I would even recommend buying a property. The rental market is often unpredictable and I know several people who had to change their flats several times because their landlords offered them a one year contract and after that demanded a hefty increase of the rent. By the way never ever say what your budget is when you rent a flat. Look out for offers and try to deal the price down. If you say your budget is a certain amount these landlords will offer you a flat of about € 50 less than your budget, but often € 200 more than they would get from Maltese people.
My advice keep a low profile on your income. The more you say about it the more people will try to take advantage of it. I know Malta and the Maltese since 1976. Do not lead them into temptation. 
Welcome to the forum

If you are on an annual contract they can not put the cost up more then five percent and if, they are not going to renew it they have to give you three months notice.