Internet High-Speed availability

Hi there everyone!!!

Coming from the NYC metropolitan area we've been living in the San Diego area for some time now and crossing into Tijuana for some time and also ventured a bit deeper to discover a lot more interesting country.

Now want to come to SMA as there are regular Tijuana flights.

My work is internet based and I was on the TOTALPLAY (TOTAL PLAY ISP) website and saw that they provide service there.

Is is fairly easily available in the city only or also in the areas where there is a lot of expat concentration (maybe expats are fairly well spread throughout the city).

Please advise.

welcome jat59B.

SMA  has such hight ex-pat numbers that they have branched out more or less within the forum. I would suggest that you contact them directly. They will perhaps notice your post here on the main forum.

My experience with the internet has been that it has been pretty good until recently. Recently the power and all electronics have been erratic.

good luck with your plans

In SMA for a couple of years, though now in full covid retreat back to US. Currently have Telmex/Telcel, having dumped Megacable. Megacable has lots of throughput when up -- 40-50 Mb/s. Not up enough, so dumped. I have heard that the covid era has resulted in poorer maintenance and more outages, but I don't have real data. Only had a months experience with Telmex but it was a better month than any month with Megacable.

You'd ideally like fiber, which is unevenly distributed throughout the city. If you are planning to rent, a key question is whether fiber service is available at your location -- not because of throughput, but because of QoS, reliability. The old infrastructure is patched and mended. The new should offer better reliability.

Sorry to hear about your internet troubles down there.  Btw, how was your overall l experience living full time in SMA??  I was thinking about it...

Wonderful. Can't wait to get back

We retired to  Mexico in 2001, first to the Lake Chapala area and then, 16 years ago to San Cristobal de Las Casas.  Since that move 16 years ago, we have lived in both areas and are quite fond of each place for different reasons.  Normally we spend about half of each year in San Cristobal and half of each year at Lake Chapala.  We had originally planned to sell the Lake Chapala residence but just never got around to it.  Now, we like living in both the Central and Southern Mexico highlands.  Lake Chapala at 5,000 feet and San Cristobal at 7,000 feet.   San Cristobal is a nice and charming colonial town and the village we live in at Lake Chapala is charming as a semi rural environment on the largest  natural lake in Mexico.  You should enjoy San Cristobal and Highland Chiapas which is a beautiful and rugged environment interesting and endlessly entertaining but we also like the variety of living in and visiting a number of different places mainly in the south.   If you move to Chiapas, welcome.