Staying in touch

I have been wondering about something that people keep mentioning to me. How is the cell phone service there? Can I contact my family by internet with no problems? My cell phone and computer are my link to a lot of important things in my life.
    I am sure that this topic has been addressed before, but I am new and full of questions.
                Namaste

Hi Ladybug,

Phone service is very good in most of Mexico. You have the option of land lines or cel phones. Cel phones are ubiqitous in Mexico and work well in most areas (mountainous areas are more difficult obviously).

Here in Merida, we also have very good DSL for Internet access, as most cities in Mexico do. We even have free WiFi in some of our city parks and in many restaurants and coffee shops.

Our family is in California and we stay in touch well... no problems! And we work on the internet... again, no problems.

Hi there,

I live in Juriquilla, off Querétaro, in the mountain.  I use Nextel as a carrier for my mobile phone and it works fine.  To reach my family in Quebec, Canada, I have been using VoIp (voice over internet protocol), without any problem since 2006.  Look on the internet for info.  My carrier is located in Canada of course so my phone line VoIp has a phone number with the country code of Montreal Canada.  No long distance to pay, I use it as a local phone call everytime and it costs me a monthly fee of 22$ only.  When I travel to the US or other country, I carry with me my little square box VoIp and my phone (a cheap model) and plug it behing my portable computer in my hotel room.  Works like a charm everytime, without any long distance fee.  FYI, my carrier in Canada is Dialekhttp://www.dialektelecom.ca/en/contact_us.html .  You can have the same principal in the State, look on the net.