Mail

While in Mexico, how do I get my Mail from the USA?  sandy

Get a po. box at your local Correos de Mexico. Its your best bet not to loose any mail. I have one and working great.

Well, I would have someone you know send it to you, unless you plan to remain in mexico on a permanent basis. Are you in a house, hotel or ? That makes a difference. If you plan to stay, you will need to change your address. Do you speak Spanish ? Lots of questions to think about.

Gringo has a good option, which would give more flexibility.

i spend winters in Gto. and go back to the US in the summer.  When I talk to the Post office in US.  They will not forward.  I am afraid I may miss important mail.  Is there a service in the US, that will take care of the mail and have it sent to Mexico?

MailBoxes Etc, Mexico

Look at this: usps.com/manage/forward-mail.htm

There are several mail forwarding services that are reliable.  All you have to do is Google "mail forwarding."

I have a private mailbox in McAllen, TX.  I order stuff on the Internet 10 to 14 days before making trips to McAllen.  The $140/yr I pay is more than made up for in the higher cost and sometimes lower quality of some Mexican products like toiletries, non prescription drugs, clothing...  At times when I was not going to be in McAllen for an extended period, I've called and they forwarded the junk mail and few first class letters that had accumulated.  That can seem expensive because they carry the mail across the border and send it through a service similar to Fedex/UPS.  I don't use it unless I know something is there waiting that I neeed immediately.

I used to live in a place where the postman didn't deliver so I rented a P.O. box here for 300 pesos/yr.  Recently I think mail delivery has gotten a lot better.  Mail used to take 4 to 6 weeks to get to me from the US, now it takes as little as 10 days.  The hidden message here is that if you are receiving mail that is time critical, try to find an electronic way to handle that kind of business.

BTW, if you are indeed going to be longterm, check with hosts and/or neighbors and find out if mail is received in your neighborhood.  If it is, you can expect it to be reliable within the time constraints I mentioned.

Your choice is dependent on your location and the length of your stay.

I hope this helps.

I have had good service from mailboxforwarding.com. They forward to our local post office box.

They handle all mail. They scan, shred, forward as you wish, for about $300/year. The only drawback for us is that you cannot actually go to the site when you are in the area.

Good luck with this project!