HEALTH CARE

Hi,

I would like to know how the health care system works for foreigners who are working and living in Brussels temporarily but are not residents.
I have received an offer to work in Brussels for a year. But the contract is with a foreign company, and I am not offered health insurance.
I would like to have some kind of coverage. I read a bit on line, and it looks like most insurances will only cover a third or a half of all expenses...I know it depends on the plan, but I would like to receive some guidance on how much it will cost annually.
Also, if I have an emergency and I am not covered, how expensive is medical service in Brussels for foreigners.

Thanks a lot for your help

Dear Anna,

As I am an university student I get huge discounts on my insurance. But at the moment (as I am now a 'resident') I pay a fee of €3,50 a month. Before that it was €20. The system is truly confusing but as I understand it it goes somewhat like this: 1) see a doctor/dentist 2) pay the bill 3) send them the bill & stick on your info (provided by the insurance company) 4) get a refund. Although the refunds do not cover all expenses it does cover 50-80%. And with the amount paid for it it still is pretty cheap.

I started (@ partena) on a €20/m non-belgian-student insurance but the partena site gives you the opportunity to calculate your expenses yourself.

Hope I could shed some light on it.

Lieke