New members of the Ecuador forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the Ecuador forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Ecuador if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi all. I realize this isn't a dating forum but I hope it isn't inappropriate to solicit some related insights or advice from group members.

The thing is I'm a single guy who aspires to a retirement or semi-retirement expat lifestyle. In the meantime I enjoy traveling and scouting out prospective destinations. Because I'm fortunate to feel young for my age (certainly in spirit, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent in body?) I tend to seek out unique destinations and somewhat active experiences. I gravitate toward solo or small group soft adventure tours over cruises and tour buses…hiking, biking, snorkeling, etc…and hope to continue that style of travel for as long as I am able (and also as part of my future expat retirement). What I often find in these situations is that, not only am I usually among the oldest participants, but most fellow travelers are couples or other single guys. The relatively few single women I encounter typically are much younger than me.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether anyone can suggest any particular travel forums or vacation/retirement destinations where I'm more likely to meet semi-adventurous single women in their 50s and 60s? Not necessarily other expats, but potentially local women as well. So long as they speak some English…since my Spanish is currently very rusty! Thanks for empathizing with my plight. :) Bill

Hi Bill,
Welcome to Expat.Com  :)

You said it right, we are not a dating forum.

However, depending on how you express your interest (information), members might guide you.

Feel free to open a new topic on the Ecuador forum as we are on the introduction feed.

Regards,
Bhavna

Bill from Wisconsin wrote:

I guess what I'm wondering is whether anyone can suggest any ... vacation/retirement destinations where I'm more likely to meet semi-adventurous single women in their 50s and 60s? Not necessarily other expats, but potentially local women as well. So long as they speak some English…since my Spanish is currently very rusty! Thanks for empathizing with my plight.

For Expat women:  Cuenca is a good spot to meet and connect with Expat single women as security there is not the issue it is in Quito or most other cities.  Also, there are many events attended by singles in Cuenca.

For single South American women of the age range indicated:  Learn Spanish well and this circuit can be gold for you in many cities in the region.  Fail to learn Spanish and your options may be greatly limited on the circuit.

As for finding adventurous women, YMMV. ;)

cccmedia

Medellín, Colombia, is famous for Expats meeting women.

Speaking English probably won't get a man far here except in pay-to-play scenarios.

Books have been written about Expat singles concepts in Medellín, so visit your online bookseller if you wish to delve into the possibilities.

cccmedia at the departure lounge for gate 12A
      at Medellín's international airport

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, will be retiring this year at the age of 55, and I dream of leaving dreary old Indiana for something different. I'm as adventurous as they come, as far as trying new places and things.

Ecuador appeals to me for its low cost of living and diverse geography. I speak Spanish fairly well, as long as the native Spanish speaker speaks slowly. Reading and writing in Spanish, definitely not a problem for me.

Income-wise, I'll have a smallish nestegg once I sell my home here, and a monthly income of about $2500, so I think Ecuador is do-able.

No definite plans yet; just checking out all of the possibilities on our great planet!

Jen

Hello! I am a 34 year old online English teacher.  After spending 3 months in 2018, I am returning to Ecuador next week for 6 months, after which I will assess whether to take the plunge and apply from residency.

I will be based primarily in Vilcabamba but planning to take some trips to Otavalo/Imbabura, Cuenca and hopefully Guayaquil/Galapagos.

My first priority on arrival is to find a good clinic in Vilcabamba/Loja for parasite testing as I am pretty sure I have been carrying some unwanted guests for the past year since visiting Peru.  Unfortunately the UK NHS has been less than helpful.  I have already posted a topic in the health forum looking for recommendations but if anyone has any info pls PM me.

Hi
My wife and I moved to coastal Ecuador 4 years ago. Time flies. I still return for a week every month or so for work just because I still like to. There is good and bad of course but we enjoy our time. One of the biggest challenges is finding friends who enjoy active things. Many folks here want to eat and drink out every night. We like this too but not all the time! I have found Ecuadorians to be friendly and helpful when you need it. You have to beware. There is the usual collection of bad folks lined up to take advantage of you if you let them. Luckily this kind of activity is theft, almost never violence. In fact, one of the endearing qualities of Ecuadorians is that they do not like confrontation. I take this as a sign of maturity. Losing your temper is a sign of lack of control here; just not accepted. Of course driving is the exception. Vehicles are aggressive and disrespectful and the drivers just can't control them.  All in all it is a good experience here.

Hey all - I'm an expat living in Cuenca with my Ecuadorian family.

We love the tranquility in Cuenca after living in Quito. It's a lot more chilled in Cuenca and we think it's a better environment to raise kids.

Not sure if linking is allowed in here, but we have an expat blog, expatsecuador.com primarily aimed at helping expats get used to life in Ecuador if anyone is interested in learning more about us :)

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

@Jason Ecuador :

It seems that you have settled quite smoothly in Cuenca. Thanks for sharing your blog; you must have a lot info and tips to share with expats looking to move to Ecuador or already living there. You should consider adding it to our blog directory, here: Blogs from expats in Ecuador  :top:

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Diksha, I've just submitted the blog.

Enjoy your day.

Hi fellow expats. I will move to Cuenca in May. Gringo Visas is facilitating the required documents. I have a one month rental in the UNESCO area old town. Only a couple of apostilled documents remain in the mail from Dee Cee, so I'm looking forward to getting the two year temporary visa. I look forward to meeting others who are adventurous from the U.S.

Emigrayo68

Does anyone have experience with direct deposit Social Security to an account in Ecuador? I've read on U.S. gov't website that Ecuador can receive checks via direct deposit. Until I get my visa/cedula JEP is the only financial institution available, and they can't get direct deposit from the U.S.

Emigrayo68

Good Morning,

Dave Smedley here, retired cowboy and engineer. Here with wife Ella and daughter Bella. Been in Ecuador for a year and here in Paute some two months.

Hello to all!

Hi, I'm Laura. I've had a dream of living internationally my whole adult life. For the last several years I've had my eye on Ecuador. I work entirely virtually so it's always been an option for me. However, my husband always had the traditional 8-5 job. My adventurous spirit must've worn off on him because now he's up for the move! So we're planning a move to Cuenca at the beginning of 2021. We've been trying to get a trip happening to check it out, but we've obviously had to push our flights back a few times because of the pandemic. At this point we're set to go in August, but who knows if that's going to get pushed back even further.

In the meantime, I'm preparing and learning as much as I can! Right now I'm learning about visa options, figuring out the best way to get our cats over there without my overly nervous kitty having a heart attack, and planning out what we should bring when we move.

Welcome! They stamp your passport with a 90 day tourist visa at the airport. If you think you might want to stay longer you can begin the process of a two-year temporary visa. Lots of good info on these sites for expats. You might want to look at "Cuenca High Life." It's an online paper for expats in Cuenca.

Hello Randyboot and Littlelulu200 and welcome aboard :)

@Randyboot > How is your life in Ecuador? Did you find easily how to adapt to this new life?
Don't hesitate to ask your questions on this very forum by posting a new topic.

@Littlelulu200 > Another adventurous spirit among us, I like it :) !
I really hope you'll be able to join Ecuador in August !
You can also have a look about our Visas in Ecuador page and have more info about them ;)

@Emigrayo68 Thank you for your answer ! It's deeply appreciated :)

Have a good day everyone and stay safe !

Regards.

Loïc

Hi all,

I am Rebecca from the Netherlands and living in Puembo (close to Quito) since 2014.
Ecuador is for me one of the most beautiful places on earth with the Amazon, Galapagos Islands and the mountains.I am the owner of a tour operator in Cumbaya and we are focusing on high end holidays to the Galapagos Islands. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with while you are in Ecuador!

Kind regards,
Rebecca

Moderated by Loïc 3 years ago
Reason : self promotion is not allowed on the forum, thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Where in the Netherlands are you from

Hi my name is Daniel and I'm exploring Ecuador as I write this. I'm finding that I like the more moderate climates here as compared to the heat of the beaches or Jungle. I'm currently applying for a visa and looking to partake in some import/export business. If anyone has knowledge of or tips on that subject I'd greatly appreciate it!

I hope to find a place and relocate over the next couple years.

I don't think I ever introduced myself. I am an American living in Pennsylvania at the moment, but I am married to an Ecuadorian woman. We are making plans to move to Ecuador in the next 7 years (or possibly sooner, no less than 4 years). She is from Manta so our plans are to buy a house there eventually to settle down. I also found out I can gain citizenship simply by being married to her for 3 years or more, so that is my next project...

Damon.

Hi my name is Nilda just to let you know we just came back from Cuenca Ecuador. This is my second trip there and my husband and I planning to move there maybe within 6 months it depends on the paper work process . We actually meet the attorney and my husband is already filling for his Visa. Just to let you know Cuenca Ecuador is really wonderful place and the people are awesome.  Just to be sure to get your Covid test before 21 days leaving for Ecuador so, they will not put you for 14 days quarantine as long as you have this test result as negative.

Thank you,

Nilda Trammel

You can live very well on that level of income.

Yes, you won't have any challenge living comfortably eell with income monthly.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=915958

Thanks!

Closed