Travel to Columbia, Peru, etc. with an Ecuadorian Pensionado visa ...?

Bueno tardes, amigos ...!

Ecuador is my 1st choice for a new "homeland" due to many things, including the weather, the people and the domestic travel options.   However, I would love to see more of South and Central America over the course of my retirement ...

My question isn't "what to see and do?" but "what hurdles must I clear?" in terms of border crossings to visit other countries, e.g., Columbia, Bolivia, Peru, etc.

Not looking for current micro-details, but in general, is it pretty do-able or is it a "project" to gain access to these countries for a relatively short visit.

Gracias, de antemano ...

Carlos  "El Gringo Bueno"

Here are a few thoughts. Americans can travel easily to many countries. Here is a quick read that explains a little about Visa requirements for travel:

http://www.friendlyplanet.com/faqs/passports-visas.html

There is a link on this page for more detailed visa requirements and it seems worthwhile to review each country you plan to visit.

I know it is pretty easy to get to Peru from Loja by plane, bus, or car. This country would definitely be my first choice for exploring South America. Can you say Machu Picchu? But there are many other lovely things in Peru. And, customs coming from Peru to Ecuador is very flexible with low or sometimes no cost for bringing things across the border. How can you go to Peru and not bring something back with you.

But, remember, that each time you pass through a border on land, your passport may have to be stamped. Travel much and you may need more pages. But this is easy to do at any American Embassy in Ecuador (Quito/Guayaquil); It's about $80. If anyone is renewing their passport, they can ask for extra pages without incurring any extra costs.

One word of caution: be careful about going to Venezuela. A few Venezuelans have told me it has become very dangerous as of late.

Thank you for the input.

Macchu Pichu has been on my list since grade school in the '50s ...

So much to do, so much to learn ...

Carlos

Columbia has had a reputation over the years as a sketchy place for Americans to travel ...

Sounds like its getting much better (at least according to Int'l Lvg ...) ...

Any thoughts on interesting places in Columbia, especially the south and western area closer to Ec ...?

Carlos

The son of the family I live with is married to a Columbian from Bogata. She is a delightful young lady and a joy to be with. If she is an example of all Colombians, then I definitely want to go there and marry one .

She tells me that Columbia is relatively safe now and that North Americans are generally well liked (as long as they show a sensitivity for cultural differences, which unfortunately is more of a problem than it should be). It is, however, more expensive than Ecuador, especially regarding land and housing. Keep in mind, as with all big cities in South America, you will need to be careful where you go and how you travel. After she described Cartagena, I was ready to visit. It seems like it would be an excellent vacation spot to reach from Ecuador.

Joseph,

Thanks again for taking the time to help ...

I'm pretty settled on Ecuador in terms of residency, but want to travel more widely.  Sounds like Peru and Columbia will be affordable as travel destinations as long as one enjoys a relatively bohemian lifestyle and doesn't need to stay at a fancy hotel?

Here in the states, I'm used to just throwing my stuff in my vehicle and taking off for a new adventure ...  Most of the time, I don't even plan much other than the "signature" destination or activity that spawned the trip.  I try to stay unencumbered so that I can "carpe" as many "diems" as possible.

It is starting to "sink in" that I am going to feel naked as a jaybird without my own vehicle and the "freedom" it offers. :sosad:

Carlos   aka  "ElGringoBueno"  :cool:

PS  I might miss by trusty "steed" but I'm not going to miss auto insurance, auto repairs, unsubsidized petroleum and the the "cowboy cops" of small town America so I guess it's all going to come out OK!!!

GringoBueno wrote:

It is starting to "sink in" that I am going to feel naked as a jaybird without my own vehicle and the "freedom" it offers.

I have really been surprised how little I miss a car. Like you, I traveled a lot. But, travel here is so easy and I am glad to no longer have to drive. I seem to be able to pack much lighter here, probably because one can dress so simply. You will always have lots of travel choices: cab, bus, van, or private driver so you won't feel a loss of "freedom." It is easy to do things on the spur of the moment.

There are many things to explore here in Ecuador. The Podocarpus National park is considered by some to be the most bio-diverse area in the world. The festivals and cultural events throughout the many provinces are joyful and lots of fun. But, for some of those, you will have to make reservations well in advance. Today in Loja, the Icon of the Virgin Mary is slowly making her yearly sojourn from Cisne by precession – a five-day trip ending on August 20. People have come from all over and the town is overflowing. This is the one time of the year Loja gets really fancy decorations. Not matter your religious beliefs, the atmosphere is electric and the celebrations are in high spirit. Your exploring nature will not be dampened.

Joseph K wrote:

I have really been surprised how little I miss a car.

I've been without a car for a year now, and had the same experience. I'm happier without the hassle of owning a car, definitely enjoy being without the expense, and I'm overjoyed that I don't have to fight the crazy traffic.

The one compromise I made was selecting a location near the center of the city, where most of the things I need regularly (shopping, a gym, etc) are in easy walking distance. The rules of real estate apply, of course, and for such a location I pay more than I would in outlying areas. I use taxis occasionally, but spend maybe ten bucks a month total.

For nearby towns, buses are dirt cheap, and planes (or ferries, this being the Philippines) aren't bad for longer distances.

From what I read the same (other than the ferries :) ) is true in Ecuador, so I plan to live much the same there -- find a central location, even if it costs a bit more, and walk a lot.

Bob

There goes the neighborhood!

Joseph and Bob ....

Thanks for the info and encouragement.  As a US Gringo who has owned and loved many a "land yacht" over the decades [including a couple of relatively "hot" rods], this all seems pretty scary ... but, that's just what the "doctor ordered" in terms of a new "adventure".

Carlos  "ElGringoBueno"  :cool:

PS    I've already given up my addiction to classic land yachts, you know, the whole global warming thing and all ...  :sosad:

PPS I assume that my traveling companion (a canine TBD later) will be sera un amigo de la bienvenida on public transportation if well behaved?

GringoBueno wrote:

I assume that my traveling companion (a canine TBD later) will be sera un amigo de la bienvenida on public transportation if well behaved?

The technical answer for inter-city buses is no, but the reality is a bit different. I have traveled with the family and a small dog, but the dog was concealed in a bag when we got on. As with everything in Ecuador, we may or may not have been stopped if the dog had been seen. It really depends on the situation and the individual people you are dealing with. Once on the bus, and while tickets were being checked (not done of every bus) everything was fine. Mostly, the people on the bus won't care. But, it will have to be a small dog. Taxis should be fine, but some may refuse.

Hmmm, I have not asked about stowing a dog in the baggage section. That might be another option, but I really don't know. As far as intra-city buses, I have never seen a dog on board (which is just an observation and not a statement of policy). However, the many colorful stories about other countries where every barnyard animal travels with their owner (chickens flying everywhere), no matter how amusing and charming, does not apply here. If fact, to transport pigs, cows, goats, etc, you will be required to obtain a specific permit for that purpose. I think this is an effort to prevent theft.

Excellent info ...

Discouraging, but useful!

Perhaps I'll need to budget for a "beater" ... or travel with a similarly "encumbered" vagabond.

Carlos  "ElGringoBueno"  :cool:

PS    Altho' worth a quick "look-see" I doubt that the stow away option would be OK unless the operator routinely makes special arrangements for mascotas ...

PPS  Taxi fair from, e.g., Cuenca to Quito would be very expensive compared to a bus.  Are "van" services for such a long haul available w/o having to book the whole van for my "party" ...?   Approx cost for Quito to Cuenca and/or Quito to Manta?

PPPS  I have been waiting for 15 years to have my next/last canine compadre, so I'm not likely to give up very easily.  :dumbom:

I have taken vans from Guayaquil to Loja, and from Loja to Cuenca, but not from Cuenca to Quito. The cost of a van is typically about twelve dollars for a three-hour trip (Guayaquil to Cuenca, for example), and scales upward. For comparison, the bus trip from Loja to Quito takes about 12 hours, leaves a eight in the evening so you arrive before eight A.M. in Quito, and costs about twenty-two dollars.

In the site below, the poster said they were unable to find a van from Cuenca to Quito (googling will get you more Ecuadorian transportation options):

http://ecuadoroverseasservices.wordpres … a-ecuador/

But, many of the van services are private individuals and thus anything is negotiable. It will be a matter of finding different choices when you are here. Van services are popular, typically very busy, and they often full. They usually don't run unless there is a certain number of people. The problem may be in booking space if you are traveling with more than a few people.

Yes, the stow-a-way strategy would not be dependable, but worth a try in a pinch.

I would definitely not give up on your wish for a dog. I have often said about my ex-wife, I sure miss the dog. . Actually, she and I get along fine and remain close friends, but I still miss the dog.

Joseph,
This past June, I took a private van from GYE to Cuenca. I  scheduled it for myself. The cost at that time was $ 80.00, but since then, the private vans have been shut down due to pressure from the bus companies. I just last week took an Executive Express bus from Cuenca to GYE at a cost of $ 8.25. Pretty hard to beat. Nice clean bus with a head. The trip time was about the same at 4 hours. Beautiful scenery through the mountains.
Stay Well,
Neil