Panama vs Ecuador

Hi...I am new to this forum and looking for some insight.

My husband and I are planning on a move in the next year or so and are very interested in both Panama and Ecuador.  I am finding it difficult to narrow down which of the two places would be the best fit for us.  There are pros and cons to each country based on our needs.  It seems that Panama is really focused on economic growth but I fear it may be too much too quick.  Just wondering if others have felt conflicted between the two places and insight on how they made a final decision.

I have been to both countries many times. The only way to know is to go to each for a few months, you will know. All the rest is speculation.

tom

Agree with tmac... besides, Panama is more expensive to settle and to live.

tom and mango7

Thanks for the reply.  One question:  Have you had any safety issues as I see you both are in Ecuador?  I prefer not to have to live in a gated community.

I personally have not, but many friends have. Situational  awareness is always a must. We live in a condo with a guard that is packen. That solves a lot of problems. The big cities in both countries in my opinion are not livable. I think that applies also to the U.S.?

hope that helps

tom

Thanks Tom.  You are right....crime is everywhere :(

It is not safe in a US sense... no serious criminals, but a bum with a kitchen knife can front you anywhere, but same is almost anywhere in 3rd wordl... a condo with a doorman: my personal preference. In nice areas in Panama City it felt more secure, in Colon, for example it felt completely out of hands, but then, I didn't live in Panama for long periods of time, so its hard to judge.
I agree with tmac, have to be always on a lookout.

thanks mango7.

Katheryn

I had the same decision to make but it seems that the cost of living in Panama got out of control and is on the rise.

I made a friend in Quito Ecuador Patrick a former american military married to Ecuadorian lady. They offer tours, and retirement and immigration services.

quitohotelbonanza.com

They own this B & B Boutique Hotel and probably the most well connected people in Ecuador and the best contact to know.

If you contact me at [email protected] I can send free relocation guide and free immigration info that Patrick wrote.

thanks

micheal

Michael

It does seem like Panama real estate is really going up.  They say not to take prices advertised at face value, usually a better deal can be negotiated.  I like Boquete Panama but in reading many of the forums, it seems to have an expat American population that kind of all have the same views...not sure I'm looking for that.  Want to spend whatever time I may have leaving in peace in an environment that can be enjoyed most of the year and lots of new places to explore.  I really am drawn to Cuenca or Vilcabamba Ecuador.  I'll keep researching and hopefully decide which one I'm leaning towards the most to make it the first place to visit when we can go.  Thanks for the B&B info...looks like a beautiful place.  I don't know when we will be able to start looking so I may take you up on the info at a later time, but thanks so much for the offer!  Please keep us all filled in via this forum on any information you feel is good to share.

We visited both Panama and Ecuador and felt most comfortable in Cuenca Ecuador.  There are considerations like the weather, health care, and friendliness of the people and the ex-pat community to consider, too.  We felt Cuenca was the best fit based primarily on our visit (it felt right), but also on the above considerations.  Good luck.

brewer12

Indeed, Cuenca is on the top of the list.  Do you feel it is safe enough to not live in a gated community.  I really want a little land to garden and have some fruit trees; room for the dogs.  Thank you for the info as each person's perspective helps!

We are having trouble getting a US Social Secuity document notarized in order to have it apostilized by the Sec. of the State of Maine.  We are applying for the Ecuador pensioner's visa and are living in Cuenca while doing this process but have a friend in the States helping us.  We have the other two documents but has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you handle it?  You can post here or email me: [email protected]   Thanks for a speedy reply because we don't have much time.

Panama city is uncomfortably hot and much more expensive compared to Quito, Ecuador.  The climate in Quito is like a mild summer all the year round and it has the blessing that each day the mountain winds clear the traffic pollution from the air.  In Cuenca, traffic pollution tends to stay in the air (in common with most cities of the world).  Quito air is much cleaner and you have the benefit of all the facilities that a capital city has to offer.  If you follow normal security precautions and live in a nice part of Quito (the North) it is quite safe.  Cost of living is cheap and the people are friendly.  I would recommend Quito over Panama City any day.
Russell Eaton, email: [email protected]

low Hi Katheryn. I have lived in both countries , now in Ecuador but lived in Panama for 4 years . If you like we could skype or send me an email to [email protected] I can give you the low down. The first thing to consider however is which country will it be easier to obtain permanent status. Answer....
Ecuador . Beyond that I can answer all your questions. Hope that helps, Steve

Well Dr.Bill, it depends what else you would be willing to do here in Ecuador in order to get out of N. America. Then there is the question of obtaining permanent residency . Also how's your spanish? I think a trip down to do some exploration might give you some options.  Steve

Quito has has several satellite towns within half an hour's drive.  They are practically suburbs.  Examples:  Calderon, Cumbaya, Tumbaco, Los Chillos, etc.  All these satellite towns are at lower altitude and warmer, and they are very popular, particularly with the expat community.  The roads are very good, with lots of public transport everywhere.  So if Quito is too high for you, one of the satellite towns is a perfect alternative.  If you speak a little Spanish, there is always a demand for native English speakers in a variety of jobs (teaching English, internet marketing for local businesses, etc).  All the best, Russell Eaton

Thanks folks - And yes, I speak Spanish fairly well. And I'd be happy making enough to just get by comfortably, I'm not looking to get rich.

Conflicted is putting it mildly.  I have been going back and forth for
a long time.  I wish someone could just decide for me. :joking:
I visited Panama and the people are great! Have not been to Ecuador.
There are so many things to consider. It might be a good idea to
make lists of pros and cons for each country.  Good luck to both of us.

A key issue for you to consider is climate. Some people may find Panama too hot and stifling (and you may not like the mosquitoes), others may not be concerned. The climate in and around Quito is like a mild Summer all year round (never too hot or too cold) and there are no mosquitoes. Another consideration is the geography of the country. Panama is a nice country, but there is no comparison to Ecuador when it comes to the geography: the Andes, valleys, the jungle, the wonderful beaches, the biodiversity, the things to explore and do.
Russell
DeliveredOnline.com

Visit both:  yes, of course.

Figure out first-hand whether you can take the heat in lowland Panama -- or if Chiriqui province mountain towns are a viable alternative.

Figure out if you can take the altitude in Quito or Cuenca, EC -- or if the beach is viable for you.

If you're goin' nuts over this, Smart Old Lady, it just means you haven't had your boots on the ground enough.   "Por amor a Elvis," as they say, plan a first trip to Ecuador.

cccmedia in Quito.

russelleaton wrote:

Quito...has the blessing that each day the mountain winds clear the traffic pollution from the air.  In Cuenca, traffic pollution tends to stay in the air, in common with most cities of the world.  Quito air is much cleaner.

IMO, this is not just another post.  This is highly valuable information to be considered when people decide between living in Quito or Cuenca, coming from a British health researcher and author who is devoted to supporting his readers in making wise decisions for their health.

This should be shared with a wider audience than those comparing EC and Panama.

So I have initiated a new thread titled "The Eaton Advantage:  Why Quito's Air Is Better Than Cuenca's."   To get there, type the new thread's name into the Search Expat.com box at the top this page and then click on the search icon immediately to the right.

cccmedia in Quito

Please send me the info for retirement in Ecuador, greatly appreciate.

We wondered the same thing so we spent two weeks in Panama. Really hot, high rate of poverty plus between the building of the Panama Canal (many died) and the take over of Noriega in 1989, the Panamanian folks aren't so crazy about the US. Expats go up to the mountains to get out of the heat.
We picked Ecuador, and are in the mountains here too. Recently the Pres. has imposed much higher tariffs on imports. Durable goods as high as 45%. To order online there is a $42. fee plus duty, forcing consumers to buy Ecuadorian,  but they do not have replacements for many items. Many Ecuadorians spent time in the US, and have family still there. There are over a million Ecuadorians living in the US. You will find many speak English, if not it always works out. People here are very kind, and love it when you smile, n greet them ie. buenos  dias, buenos tardes, buenos noches. Sorry for my poor Spanish! Good luck, n happy trails.

We wondered the same thing so we spent two weeks in Panama. Really hot, high rate of poverty plus between the building of the Panama Canal (many died) and the take over of Noriega in 1989, the Panamanian folks aren't so crazy about the US. Expats go up to the mountains to get out of the heat.
We picked Ecuador, and are in the mountains here too. Recently the Pres. has imposed much higher tariffs on imports. Durable goods as high as 45%. To order online there is a $42. fee plus duty, forcing consumers to buy Ecuadorian,  but they do not have replacements for many items. Many Ecuadorians spent time in the US, and have family still there. There are over a million Ecuadorians live in the US. You will find many speak English, if not it always works out. People here are very kind, and love it when you smile, n greet them ie. buenos  dias, buenos tardes, buenos noches. Sorry for my poor Spanish! Good luck, n happy trails.

Lizardo wrote:

There are solid reasons an expat might choose Ecuador over Panama.  I feel for me (beach and urban, e.g. Salinas) is a better choice for me.  But, Panama has ample mountain communities expats have flocked to, such as Boquette and many other areas, with cool mountain climate.  Certainly both countries have hot and humid climates.  As far as Panamanians not liking U.S. expats, I have sensed more indifference to all expats - Canadian, Americans and Europeans.  In other words, we're no big deal in Panama and certainly no deep hatred.  Colombian (especially women) are probably the least liked on foreigners.  For urban dwellers, Panama City is unbelievable and a great city - but definitely hot and humid so maybe Quito would be a better choice purely on climate.

SawMan wrote:

As far as Panamanians not liking U.S. expats, I have sensed more indifference to all expats - Canadian, Americans and Europeans.  In other words, we're no big deal in Panama and certainly no deep hatred.  Colombian (especially women) are probably the least liked on foreigners..

How could anybody not like Colombian women? Maybe is just because am a single guy, but hard to beat the sheer beauty of Colombian gals. Granted, the majority in Panama are shall we say, ladies of the night, but hey it is the world's oldest profession.

However, you are probably right in your analysis Sawman. There is a history between, and a certain animosity between the two countries. Some Colombians still consider Panama part of Colombia, and let's face the fact that Panama is still a pretty major drug hub with a fair amount of the underground criminal activity from that being committed by Colombians. At least that's what many Panamanians think.

j600rr wrote:
SawMan wrote:

As far as Panamanians not liking U.S. expats, I have sensed more indifference to all expats - Canadian, Americans and Europeans.  In other words, we're no big deal in Panama and certainly no deep hatred.  Colombian (especially women) are probably the least liked on foreigners..

How could anybody not like Colombian women? Maybe is just because am a single guy, but hard to beat the sheer beauty of Colombian gals. Granted, the majority in Panama are shall we say, ladies of the night, but hey it is the world's oldest profession.

However, you are probably right in your analysis Sawman. There is a history between, and a certain animosity between the two countries. Some Colombians still consider Panama part of Colombia, and let's face the fact that Panama is still a pretty major drug hub with a fair amount of the underground criminal activity from that being committed by Colombians. At least that's what many Panamanians think.

I totally agree with you regarding Colombian women. Gorgeous!  Especially the ones "plying their trade" in Panama City.  (No, I have not and will not procure such services!)  That's why Panamanian women hate them.  The other bases for my statement pertains to how the Colombians drug gangs historically controlled the Darien province and wreaked havoc on the lives of the indigenous people and a detectable resentment among local Panamanians towards Colombians (other than real estate developers and agents), perhaps because of their reputation and behavior bringing sacks of money into the country while locals work so hard for so little and a perceived "pushiness"  and demanding nature of the Colombians in Panama.  Again, just personal observations.