Manage a guesthouse

Dear all

Can we as foreign nationals manage a guest house in Mauritius?

We dont plan to buy anything, just manage it.

Thank you!

Regarding the Management, it must be tied up with the investment.
However, in case the investor has no managerial expertise, a local Manager shall be appointed and in case the investor will also act as the manager, he must show a track record in management and show evidence of previous managerial positions held in similar establishments abroad for at least 5 years.

All employees, except for the owner/Manager, should be locals.

https://www.parklane.mu/en/news/latest- … or-tourist

Thank you very much for this recent link!

b. the non-citizen holds a letter of no objection in respect of the project proposal from the Ministry of Tourism
I wonder what the criterias of getting the letter of "no objection" by the ministry of tourism are.
We do have 5 years managerial experience from our guesthouses here in Switzerland and would just like being able to continue our business on the island. I guess lets apply and see! Thank you

Section b is not applicable to you since you said in your OP that you don't plan to buy anything.

As a non-citizen you can only mange the following  as per this:http://tourism.govmu.org/English//DOCUM … 5%20V5.PDF

A non-citizen is only allowed to manage residential property as Tourist Residence under the following schemes:
i. Integrated Resort Scheme
ii. Real Estate Scheme
iii. Property Development Scheme
and should satisfy the following criteria:
i. An individual owner of a residential property under IRS/RES/PDS cannot rent except if the application is made by the IRS/RES/PDS Company or a Property Management Company designated by the IRS/RES/PDS Company.
ii. The non-citizen must have a track record in management and show evidence of previous managerial positions held in similar establishments.

Hello yes you can but a Mauritian should be a director for more info please contact me ***

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please do not post contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Yes you can !! Go ahead all the best !!

@Debi12

Hi Debi,

This is Meera.

Just now saw your post regarding managing a guesthouse. Have you started your guesthouse?

Im coming to Mauritius to manage my friend's guesthouse. Would like to hear your experiences. Regards,

@lekapakshe hello and welcome !

It's been years since the OP logged in (3 years). Will you be employed ? On what visa are you planning to come and which permit will you apply for ?

Regards

Bhavna

@Bhavna Hi Bhavna, thank you for your message. Im coming to visit the place two weeks. If everything goes well, I would come back in January. However I would like to know the legal procedure if I require working visa. Thanks

@lekapakshe

As you can not work on a tourist visa ... for how long will you be staying here ?

You need a work permit or an occupation permit if you want to stay and work in Mauritius (if you are getting any income from this activity).

The "employer" should make a request/application for your work permit or occupation permit, otherwise you can also apply for the self-employed permit but you need to invest...

I recommend that you read the Living in Mauritius guide for information about visa and permits.

Regards

Bhavna

@Bhavna Hi Bhavna, Thanks for the info. Im not going to to work in Mauritius. This two weeks holiday is to visit the places and get to know the culture.

@lekapakshe If you're coming for a short tourist trip, you don't need any visa. You'll be given a visa on arrival at the airport.

Regards

Bhavna