Sad children

My husband and I are moving permanently to France next autumn but one of our daughters (18yrs) is in tears every time the subject comes up. She doesn't live with any more but stl doesn't want us to go as she thinks we're not going to be "there for her". Has anyone else had this experience?

Hi catpaws!

I hope other members will show up with some good advices soon!

Regards
Armand

Hi there,
   The sad truth is that at age 18, life is complex enough without having the number one support system leave the country.  I think I would feel the same way.  Is it possible to postpone for one year as she settles into (probably) her first year of college?  I don't know the details.  You don't mention how close (emotionally) you are or how many visits are planned, but if you must move to France, of course your daughter will be grieving.  But ultimately, she is mostly right - moving to a new country tends to weaken ties inevitably.   Good luck :)

Why doesn't she join you for the first months?

Will she be completely alone, do you have other family members who could support her? like uncles/aunts, grand parents?

It is very difficult for parents when a child moves abroad (i can tell from my own experience, my parents are very worried) but the contrary is really worse, when the parents are moving away so far! Maybe she should really think about going with you a few months or weeks and discover Paris. It is a great place for an 18 year old