7.5 Ton Truck

It looks like we will buy a 7.5 Ton truck to drive out with later this month, ferry has quoted £1100 fron Livorno to Malta. The question is one we arrive we won't need it so is there anywhere we can sell it, or swap it for a Malta Car, it would be perfect to drive back to UK as it will be UK Plated/tax etc. Also you could drive it on a normal car license. Any help or pointers in selling it guy's
Jim  n Bev

maltapark.com or ebay mabey?

I use eBay a lot but there never seems to be anything on it from Malta ? Jim n Bev

hmmmmmmm  I know Maltese and expats folks use it a lot to order from england, but it's worth a try.

Jim it may be worth you registering it in Malta (ie paying the duty) then you could sell it in Malta.. and probrably get more than you paid for it including the duty... worth a look mate, also recommend the maltapark as well.

The drive down is great, I left Dover on the 11:50 ferry on Friday, drove down via Rheim, Dijon & Lyon and stayed in Annemasse (HotelF1) over night. The next day drove past through the Mt Blanc tunnel (If you want to stop to take photos there is a great stop just before that you can take photo's and literally as you arrive at the tunnel you can stop there as well. I got to Livorno at about 4pm (Left Annemasse at 10am) and stopped taking photos during the way down.  You need to head to the Porto not to Livorno central, and go towards the Gran Navi area. The cost of your ferry crossing seems to be the normal Driver/Truck price which includes food and soft drinks i beleive. The ferry then stopped in Palermo the following day and you get a couple of hours to walk around (Out throught the exit of the Port and Turn Left to get to the Cafe's and Bars etc) then back on and a night crossing to Malta.

Absolutley brilliant trip..... Highly recommend... Now on my first day of work and i am at my apartment as its a Public holiday... I love Malta :)

We might leave on Monday, I have a transit (complete with gaffa arches) and trailer, so could just go with it and leave the rest at my unit, work it out later. I think we will go the Nice/Cannes route because we could stop in Grimaud. We used to go there twice a year so know it well, I can bring about 200 set-top boxes as well and if I leave my boat here I can drive it down behind range rover later.
This import thing is confusing, I want to bring my Range Rover coz I have had it 6 years, but I need to get the private plate off it first. I wish someone who has done it could do a dummies guide, go here,get this, pay that kind of thing.
Can't wait to get there and fish/dive/beer,,, o and a bit of work, Jim

there is a dummies guide of what to do, you will not have to pay anything for your range rover as you have owned it over 2 years.

Do a search on the forum mate, it gives you loads of details here

Julian

i think there defintitely will be reg tax to pay on the landrover even having owned it for two years - although substantially reduced - altho to be honest please dont trust the ADT valuation website as friends of mine were quoted 300 euros for the scenic and ended up paying over 1000euros....despite proving it on their own website....(dont forget to bring all documentation with it and a lot of proof you have actually owned for that time)

try maltapark.com
also izjed.com

to advertise it

Sorry, I meant Import Duty not road tax

import duty is registration tax.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

i think there defintitely will be reg tax to pay on the landrover even having owned it for two years -

if you've owned the vehicle for 2 years (and you weren't resident in Malta) there is no import tax - there is a smaller tax to pay though (which is also a registration tax)

yes - this is called registration tax here and the road tax as we know it is also payable each year at the same time as the insurance cover - the VRT (UK MOT approx 21 euros -cars) being done at the same time but every two years ( well for cars it is not sure about commercials)

toon - I'll pm you a link covering the following - see 5. especially

1. What is the legislation covering the import of vehicles ?
2. Can I import a vehicle into Malta ?
3. How much does it cost to register an imported vehicle ?
4. What is the proceedure for registering a vehicle ?
5. Is anyone exempt from paying the registration tax ?
6. What documents are required to register a vehicle ?
7. Where can I get the registration forms ?
8. Do I need to convert my driving licence to a Maltese one ?
9. Where can the Registration Value (RV) of vehicles be obtained from?
10. Car Registration Process—Unofficial Users Manual
11. Is the registration tax for 2nd hand cars going to be replaced later this year with a higher road tax ?
12. How much is road tax ?

There are 5 exemptions

a. Motor Vehicle brought temporarily into Malta
b. Motor Vehicle brought over by a person under a works contract
c. Motor Vehicle brought over by a person pursuing his studies in Malta
d. Motor Vehicle brought over for demonstration purposes
e. Motor Vehicle brought over on transfer of residence

a. Motor Vehicle brought temporarily into Malta - fine if its going to be driven back - but the question raised was that once he has used it he wont need it - so it would have to be sold - reg tax issue immediately and exemption cant apply.
b. Motor Vehicle brought over by a person under a works contract - not a works contract!
c. Motor Vehicle brought over by a person pursuing his studies in Malta - dont think this applies either as he has saif he wont need it - again a sale issue!
d. Motor Vehicle brought over for demonstration purposes - dont think this applies either!
e. Motor Vehicle brought over on transfer of residence - this may apply as he would appear to be moving to live here - however i can only say that a friend of mine moved here with his vehicle (owned for 7 years) and the reg tax was payable at more than three times the value quoted on the IRD website.

I do however take your point that there are VALID EXEMPTIONS...but they need to be clarified and approved

"but they need to be clarified and approved" - absolutely - the link I sent you goes into all the details, and the conditions, which are strict

Residents of Malta cannot drive foreign plated vehicles in Malta (unless exemption granted) - the OP would need to sell the vehicle to a non-resident of Malta and the new owner take it out of Malta. The OP also needs to be a non-resident - if the OP has an ID card issued in Malta then they have declared themselves resident

yes i understand that one...thanks

George can you email me the link aswell please.

I have just brought my car over and as i have had an ID card for some time i feel that i am going to get the wrath of the ADT on me sometime soon. (Bearing in Mind it was only monday that i brought it in)

Cheers

Julian

sent

cheers