Mail USPS inbound Brasil

I am planning a Vacation to the USA. ..
I want to mail some items back Electronics....
Will I be assessed duty?
Will I have to pay any Import or Tax fee's?

I will be Mailing from Me to Me !

Yes Insured and Registered....

Thanks in advance and no SWAGS, just facts....Real Experience(s)...lol...

Yes, you will.  Be sure to put your CPF on the mailing labels and shipping documents.
Best bet for beating the taxman:  checked luggage and handcarry.

Grizz
Yep, afraid so and Electronics the most. It will be taxes, unless sale of items and as abthree points out have CPF of each mailed item.
Now I did get a new TV thru w/o tax (Luggage). I put the original sales receipt on outside from Best Buy and wet thru customs with no issue.
USPS takes awhile.
I had tools mailed and it took 2 months. DUH they were "imperial system" and have not ever used them. What a waste of money. :o

Exactly!  This is why all the Brazilians on your flight back from the US have five or six checked bags -- three or four of them went north empty.  :lol:

I have the limit with my Airline,  no plug for the airline...disclaimer. ..lol. I got it 10 bags  total,  Electronics carry one and they can have the Grits..loo

So you saw us traveling!
We always have 3 apiece and 3 are full and other 3 have shoes and few pieces of clothing. Come home with 50kg in each. Her clothes me food and clothes.

Grizz,

Just got back from California end of May this year. I did not bring checked luggage with me to the US. I went to Walmart to buy 3 plastic chests (much lighter) than the regular luggage and filled them all up. By the way, United (my frequent flier airline) limits 2 checked luggage now with only 50lbs each at 62 linear inches a luggage - like US domestic flights. The one from Walmart fits those measurements and they have wheels at one end.

I bought a lot of items including cooking utensils, clothes, canned items, cell phones  and even jewelries as gifts!

The secret is only one word which I uttered in São Paulo (Guarulhos International Airport)... "Mudanças!" I filled them up with used cooking utensils that I used to cook
at my house (used only once), tags of new clothes and underwears removed and then washed. The 2 new cell phones, already with Brazilian chips were in my pocket including the jewelries (my gifts to Brazilian friends). Upon X-rays of the 3 luggages they saw glasses, cooking utensils and canned goods which passed as "mudanças" or your personal items. There will be women x-raying your luggages (if you ever is checked) and they will ask for your passport at the inspection area. It would complicate matters if you show them your CRNM. I also added "levei varias comidas enlatadas pra mim." They
answered "sempre é bom ser bem alimentado das comidas americanas!" They smiled and let me go without bothering to check.

The 3rd luggage, I was supposed to be charged by the airline as extra. I wasn´t. Their
Brazilian partner GOL (connecting flight) blocked my luggage to only one which violates
United´s 2-baggage limit. United was not able to charge me the 3rd luggage because
their system was not able to charge me upon system override from San Francisco
Int´l. It could have cost me 180USD. GOL had to swallow the 3 Walmart chests which was considered oversized- for free since they are a partner of United.

Tips to prevent being  stopped and checked at Guarulhos:

1. If you buy the considered oversized plastic chests from Walmart, limit that to 2. I brought 2 the last time and I wasn´t stopped. Brought 3 this time to test the waters
and yes, I was stopped and inspected.

2. The hand carry item does not have a weight limit. So take advantage and put some heavy items in that bag instead of the checked luggage. You are allowed 1 handcarry item and one personal like a laptop or a tablet.

Maybe its time to buy cooking items for your restaurant? Don´t forget some nice 14K
earrings for your other half! I bought some really cheap at Macy´s... Oh, if you buy the Walmart
plastic chests (very durable and withstands airport traumas better than luggages, costs 26USD),
go claim them at the oversized luggage section at the baggage claim area...

I have been waiting for my credit cards (letters) after being forwarded by my mail forwarder from CA.
It´s been 1mo2days now. They argued that registering it would cost me more money without the benefits since I cannot track them after they get out of the country - registered letters receiving a different number. Last shipment by them with credit cards was lost (2mos ago). I had to notify my banks to send me another card. I hope it´s not lost again. I only wonder if registered mail is better
handled than regular mail.

Maybe it´s time to change a mail forwarder. They charge me $260 yearly and $75 for a shipment of letters.

There... No SWAGS Grizz!

Happy trip and hug a Kodiak for me if you got time!

robal

Addendum for Alascana:

There are TSA compliant locks (Master) that you can buy at HD (Home Depot) or similar hardware
stores to lock your luggage especially the Walmart chests to avoid theft. TSA has the keys to them, so they won´t cut your lock if they decide to inspect you for suspected explosives, etc.

Robal

Check out US Global Mail.  It may save you some, and I've never had anything go astray yet.

Very good AB. I might just do that in a little bit. I´ll wait about 2 weeks more before jumping into conclusion...

I usally fly with the guys who allow up to Ten pieces of luggage, I never lock anything all valuables are with me...what's with the phones, I have never has a problem with my chips from the USA. ..I only recieve government mail and my cards get through fine, one was lost so my bank sent the new one Fedex...it was held at the Black Hole in SP for no CPF and they had opened it...lol...So let's talk what is considered personal items and what is considered excess on electronics and why do they give a hoot about my phones...I need 3 ...lol...and a tablet and laptop...is there a limit..When I came through in 2016, I has the laptop,ipad, cellphone and the only thing grayed was the phone and laptop and it was another day at the TSA....the only thing explosive was my breathe after the 20 hour grind....lol...

Robal, there is no better half...you see the solo photo...it's like cars I trade them in very year, I like leasing better halfs...lol

Grizz,

A few years back, I got fined R$3,000 for bringing in an iMac 21.5," a MacBook Pro and a
Bose Sound System. They were my personal belongings, a year old but looked new so it was interpreted as a taxable item. Bringing in multiple items of the same class could be interpreted by the Alfandega as
for commercial purpose and therefore also a
taxable item.

Because I did not have the receipts with me, the
Customs agent scoured the internet and quoted
the most expensive price of them all. And I bought the iMac on sale. So landing at Rio for a
connecting flight was a terrible idea. I have better experiences in Sao Paulo.

Bringing in a lot of electronics could trigger a red flag, so be careful. They do accept credit cards as payment.

Of course you could use a SIM card from any country. It only serves as proof that it's your
personal property.

It seems that you're very successful with affairs
involving women. You should throw me some tips sometime to aid a not so clever brother!

Doc US Global is a lot cheaper. $57 for FedEx to here. Always 4 days, but sometimes the contractor to deliver to Foz from Campinas takes a few extra days.
I too use United have the  United MileagePlus card and fee bags and lounges. Azul or Copa is United Star Alliance partner, maybe why you had an issue with Gol. (Delta is their partner)

So, Grizz,
If you're changing partners, does that mean you'll be changing states again, too? 
Enquiring minds want to know!   :cool:

abthree wrote:

So, Grizz,
If you're changing partners, does that mean you'll be changing states again, too? 

Nope I  have Bahia and Permabucho,  I figure if I live on the River in a boat, that solves where I lay each night...there like buses another one comes along every 10 minutes...lol....

Robal I still can't figure why they checked you that bad, dayuuum. ...it's not unusual for one to have a laptop, tablet and 2 phones and iPad , like I said I came in 2 tablets, 2 phone,ipad and laptop... , I came back, phone,ipad, laptop....I ain't  scared and my advice is trade them in every two years...lol..
I think the Bose triggered your payment...

The only thing I am doing with mail is Registered Outbound /Sedex.....

Inbound -Government Mail....they Rarely lose Official Mail...lol

Alascana wrote:
abthree wrote:

So, Grizz,

Nope I  have Bahia and Permabucho,  I figure if I live on the River in a boat, that solves where I lay each night...there like buses another one comes along every 10 minutes...lol....

Robal I still can't figure why they checked you that bad, dayuuum. ...it's not unusual for one to have a laptop, tablet and 2 phones and iPad , like I said I came in 2 tablets, 2 phone,ipad and laptop... , I came back, phone,ipad, laptop....I ain't  scared and my advice is trade them in every two years...lol..
I think the Bose triggered your payment...

The only thing I am doing with mail is Registered Outbound /Sedex.....

Inbound -Government Mail....they Rarely lose Official Mail...lol

Rio probably is tired of Gringos disturbing their peace. Or probably because all the items looked so new. On the other hand I explained to him, the agent - that all my computers has been used extensively, full of documents. He just didn´t listen and probably just a plain old grumpy SOB. I´m just hoping that you won´t get this kind of guy one of this days. I´ve travelled to 170 countries so far and I haven´t met people like that from Rio. You should avoid connecting there coming from overseas.

Same at the seaborne, business end.  During my consulting days, we were always warned off from the Port of Rio; I advise expats to avoid it with their household shipments whenever possible.  The Alfândega there has a reputation for being hopelessly corrupt, as well as slower than any other major port.  Time is money in Logistics,  so why throw it away?

I come through SP on my trips and  now that the visa is a mute issue, less balance and check, so I be like green gringo, no hablo portugese. ..lol...and I am so helpless...and when people say they need help that's the ticket, like can anybody help me get my IRS money...lol..
Thanks for the tip, on Rio, I like to avoid Crime ridden cities, that's why my first choice was Belem...lol.. Got to go into Recife and Renew the Passport, can somebody help me...lol.....that important word help...
I will no shameless plug my Airline of choice and I hope never to book through Rio and if have to I will bring in nothing....it's like returning a item and the store asks for a CPF and I say you didn't ask for one when you sold me the thingy...lol...
I am wondering at the time of the Robal coming through was a visa required and did you have resident status, maybe it's changed now the Visa is no longer required for who's to say how and why one is here, maybe there just here to keep there residents.

I am wondering with no Visa being required is a round trip ticket necessary? ??

I had my RNE already at the time. That´s what caused the trouble I think. The agent probably thought that I´m bringing in new merchandise for use in Brazil and therefore should be taxed. I was suspicious of their activities (the agent and the bank cashier) as they had a private conversation. Its possible that they split my payment.

I know someone here in the south that´s filthy rich because he works at a port customs. His properties and the way he flaunts his wealth is not commensurate with his salary.

robal wrote:

I had my RNE already at the time. That´s what caused the trouble I think. The agent probably thought that I´m bringing in new merchandise for use in Brazil and therefore should be taxed. I was suspicious of their activities (the agent and the bank cashier) as they had a private conversation. Its possible that they split my payment.

I know someone here in the south that´s filthy rich because he works at a port customs. His properties and the way he flaunts his wealth is not commensurate with his salary.

Yup, Koruption Rulzs...smdh.....nuff said...I am going to buy a lot for the house today...the only reason is the subdivision is legit....lol....there are houses , that's a good sign, lots of things here yet no documents., I lpoked at one subdivision. when i arrived no houses, just speculation ...yea the RNE is a give away....
Crime don't care, maybe we should start a " Crime Does Matter" movement....lol

There is a fee for everything , I noticed at my grocery store on the card reader a1.07 %...lol....
Reminds me of Canada and the USA. ..

I am receiving a translation device in November from the USA. I seen people say to put your CPF on the address. My question is at what part of the address just under your name or below after the total address. Trying to avoid confusion. Is this really necessary

I am receiving a translation device in November from the USA. I seen people say to put your CPF on the address. My question is at what part of the address just under your name or below after the total address. Trying to avoid confusion. Is this really necessary

NewBrazil wrote:

It is absolutely necessary:   Customs and/or the carrier may not even attempt to contact you before sending it back.
Ask the shipper to show this clearly on all shipping labels:
CPF:  xxx.xxx.xxx-xx

If you're the belt and suspenders type, and if the seller's form allows it, you can also show the same info as an extra line in your address, but don't remove info that could interfere with delivery.
Amazon US has now figured out shipping to Brazil, and they will request CPF as part of the order process, and display it appropriately.

NewBrazil wrote:

I had a Debit Card sent Fedex, it was held up in the "Black Hole of SP" for 2 weeks due to no CPF, then they opened the Original Envelope inside the FedEx Secure envelope, put the card in arse backwards and finally delivered the doggone card....WTFace, and WTHeck.....lol...I retired from the USPS as I sit here crying...we called SP and git hold to Customs gave them the CPF and woola 4-5 days later it magically appeared ....kkk=lol....gotta love the "Post"....

NB, did you buy the new little Transdutor, the one being advertised now all over the place, if so give us a review when you test the bugger...

Grizz all n US grip about USPS, but never experienced other countries.

That's for sure!  If I could do it now, I'd give two kisses to the postal employee waiting on people in my old Post Office back home -- and a kiss to each of the three postal employees sitting behind the counter talking to each other and pretending that the place was empty, just to thank them because someday, they MIGHT wait on somebody!

Hold on guys!!! This is the second time I saw this CPF to be put on letters! I just can´t let this go. Explain to me:

1. CEP is different from CPF.
    a. CEP - Zip Code (needed on any correspondence). If you want to avoid delays or
        items sent back, YOU better put it in.
    b. CPF - equivalent to SS number in the USA

2. Why put your CPF to be seen by everybody else? Is this for tax purposes for the
     alfandega brasileira (customs) or to show that you´re residing in Brazil and
     therefore entitled for this correspondence?

3. How about foreigners visiting who don´t have the CPF? You mean to "hell with you
    gringo." You´re ex-comunicado?!!!! I´m sending this back to your mom!

robal

Packages, Robal, not letters.  Packages go back without a CPF, often without an honest attempt at notification.

So you´re saying foreigners without CPF can´t receive packages? That is f***ed up!
I know American friends here who receive Girl Scouts cookies once in a while.

I´ve lost letters with credit cards in them - lumped into one package sent to Brazil. My mail forwarder should have notified me about it if they came back! I´m still waiting
for the newly resent credit cards from my bank accounts - again lumped into one
standard USPS mailing envelope. It´s almost 1 1/2 months now...

I have not seen any written rules about that. Seriously: Other people HAVE ALREADY experienced this? I haven´t  seen a single soul complaining about it in these threads! It´s now time to rethink and put new plans about Brazil...

robal

I've had a package returned to Amazon exactly for not having a CPF on the outside.  That's why they've changed their policy, I imagine -- not just for me, of course, but for others as well, who have presumably had the same problem.

My mail forwarder automatically issues Customs declarations with all my document shipments; I don't know whether they have my CPF, or if a package strictly of no-value documents is exempt.  Either way, I've never missed one.

If people without CPFs receive "Girl Scout cookies once in a while" I'm happy for them -- and chalk it up to the normal inconsistency of Brazilian public services.  They got lucky.

I too for awhile did not place CPF on packages and many times had to go to Correios to pay tax and sometime wait for release to here. Now I do and package will go to local office waiting on me. I also use FedEx and others from forwarding company with CPF and no problems and I have tracking.
I also use FedEx for CC. They open an inspect in Curitiba but send it on. One silly thing was a  $48.00 check came to forwarding address had it scanned but the bank app could not read, so sent by FedEx ($50.00) and was able to deposit via app. Lost $2.00.
Got to love it! :dumbom:
Everyone shows cpf here like it is nothing, whereas in US never give SS# to anyone.

I've got to digest all this and I'll get back to y'all one year...rotflbao....

I recieve 3 pieces of mail..

1.OPM

2.SS

3.Blue Cross/Blue Shield

And my bank on request .... my last card arrived no problem, long slow boat,  yet I got it...

There are shipments that Brazil does not accept from overseas per government agency protocols. One of them is a notorious ANVISA regulation. DHEA which I use for anti-aging and prevent degenerative diseases are prohibited but I see them on-line for sale in Brazil. ANVISA classifies the supplement like a muscle building steroid which is not and over the counter med in the US.

AB, I don´t know the merchandise that was sent back to Amazon. So, unless it was explicitly specified that it was because of unmentioned CPF that caused the "phenomenon" I would be doubtful of what´s the real issue.

Customs always wasn´t impeded from collecting state and federal taxes from me (without  my CPF) by paying all of them at the Correos...

Tex, FEDEX always send through mail the airport "storage fee" that they charge as your package is being inspected at airports. Believe me, if Brazil can only charge excessive BMI from people for breathing greater volumes of air that they breath - for pollution/carbon footprint, they will. That´s "against the environment" as the federal government permits corridors of the Amazon to be overly exploited for economic activities and risking economic sanctions from governments worldwide.  :D There are now companies that don´t want to buy products from Brazil that are suspiciously connected with the Amazon deforestation. Mercosul´s free trade deal with the EU economic bloc is threatened of not being approved because of that.

robal

Robal,
Since that's what I said, how about just believing me?  You aren't the only one who knows what he's talking about, hard as that may be for you to believe.

abthree wrote:

Robal,
Since that's what I said, how about just believing me?  You aren't the only one who knows what he's talking about, hard as that may be for you to believe.

I´m still waiting for my mail. Give it 2 more weeks totaling 2 months. Now I know the mail forwarder
don´t have my CPF. I saw my letters (they forwarded the photo) lumped as a package. If I lost it again I´ll let you know  what I think then...

robal

Hey doc, blood pressure is up. I do not know about any extra fees. I am lucky with no issue.
All fees are paid upfront to US Global Mail and never had a charge.
Did have a DHL returned due to customs declaration was changed after they picked up. Global discussed and DHL sent it again with the original declaration, free. Took extra days.

Texanbrazil wrote:

Hey doc, blood pressure is up. I do not know about any extra fees. I am lucky with no issue.
All fees are paid upfront to US Global Mail and never had a charge.
Did have a DHL returned due to customs declaration was changed after they picked up. Global discussed and DHL sent it again with the original declaration, free. Took extra days.

I buy my vitamins from the US. They send it direct to Brazil and FEDEX always collect the airport storage
fee. I´m still full of supplements as I just arrived from the US a few months ago - almost the same time frame when you were there.

Semper Fi!

robal

Thanks for Semper Fi. Once a Marine always a Marine.
I too ordered what you were saying. Went to hotel and brought it home. I was ready to declare all at airport (5am) customs closed. I got home with it.

Texanbrazil wrote:

Thanks for Semper Fi. Once a Marine always a Marine.
I too ordered what you were saying. Went to hotel and brought it home. I was ready to declare all at airport (5am) customs closed. I got home with it.

You´re saying the EDTA not the DHEA. I´m feeling much better now without stopping after a rigorous exercise. Should take 6 bottles (6mos) to clear 93% of arterial occlusion. I´m 1 1/2 bottles to that. I´m extending the regimen to a full 1 year. I take it at dawn with an empty stomach. The half-life is 1 hour,
so it stays in your system for only an hour. This is not IV (intravenous) which can accept up to 3 grams total EDTA. I eat after 3 hours, complete with a multi-vitamin and a mineral supplement.

If you´re taking it, you stop for 2 weeks and resume after that for another 1month cycle. Some clinics in the US would want you to start oral EDTA after 18 sessions of IV to maintain the occlusion-free and
elastic arteries.

The DHEA I use as anti-aging. I´ve retired a long time and I look 40 and.... handsome! Sorry, but I just
can´t handle it!  :D

robal

I too look like a "spring rooster" well maybe not a D, Hasselbeck maybe if I did all the plastic surgery, yes. I was taking it but had to do blood work and stopped until done. Back on it, but once a day. Only got one bottle. The tests were fine only little high on sugar.
I will stop as you said.
Have old war wounds and slight tear in rotator cuff, so limited on the weights. Just cardo for now.